what tipe of religion are you

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:03 pm
Christian here, thanks for asking and welcome.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:03 am
I was born a Jew, all of my ancestors are/were Jews and to paraphrase a line from "Gentleman's Agreement", I will continue to identify as a Jew until it no longer remains a disadvantage to do so.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:02 pm
sweetcomplication: Quite clever, that!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:14 pm
sc already knows I love her and her clever insights Wink I also swear that my previous post regarding my religious journey is ENTIRELY true....
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:
sweetcomplication: Quite clever, that!

Embarrassed :wink:
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:02 pm
cavfancier wrote:
sc already knows I love her....

right back at ya, Cav Cool
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
I was brought up in a fundamentalist religion but don't know why a person must go to a church each Sunday. I ride my horse on Sunday mornings. Nice and quiet. I've studied most religions and find them similar in what they teach, have no problem with any - now.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 03:32 am
I was born in a catholic family, or semicatholic, my mom practically lives in the church, but my dad is an atheist, & my sis has a practical philosophy(I don't know exactly what she believes, she keeps changing depending of the situation)

I was educated like a sheep for 12 years, until I realized what religions where, so I became an atheist, then I had some doubts & I became an agnostic when I was 13, & at 14 I became an atheist once again, & I don't see any change coming. As much as I don't like religions, I found mythology fascinating. I enjoy most myths.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 05:50 am
Like your new avatar, Dux, that's a good one.

Have you read anything by Joseph Campbell? If you are interested in myth, you might enjoy his stuff.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 12:56 pm
No, but if you can recomend me some other books it'll be great, I've already read Bulfinch's Mythology, it's great, & Ovid's Metamorphosis, they were great!

Btw, your avatar is also good too! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:13 pm
My religion is world travel. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 08:46 am
I was unfortunately born a muslim. But being a Persian, I consider myself Zoroastrian, although I do not practice any of their rituals.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 09:55 am
Mamahani, I don't consider birth unfortunate - it is what we make of life and "in the moment" that counts. All things good are good!

Welcome to A2K and have fun Smile
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:02 am
True BillW. But certainly, being born into a religion that prohibits leaving the religion, and punishes those who do with death, is unfortunate. (In my view Very Happy)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:04 am
Mamahani, Don't feel unfortunate about being born a Muslim. I was born a Buddhist, then our mother changed to Christian. All my siblings and their children are Christians, but I'm a atheist. My wife is Buddhist. We all must make our own choices after we educate ourselves. c.i.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:40 am
Yeah, Mamahani, please don't feel being born at all is ever unfortunate! And you ain't dead yet, kiddo, so just make the most out of this lifetime, okay? For me: I was born a Jew and definitely accept all due pride in our wonderful history which is covered with fighting for justice as it is riddled by holocausts and pogroms and dispersions because of that very fact. However, I am not of the Jewish faith. In fact, I guess I would call myself a humanist: it's humanity I love, just the individual people who I'm not too happy about Laughing Rolling Eyes :wink: !
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 10:53 am
Mamahani wrote:
prohibits leaving the religion, and punishes those who do with death, is unfortunate

But changeable because it is a fallacy - and this is happening more and more in todays world because it is a crime against humanity!
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 05:16 pm
Certainly, BillW, sweetcomplication and cicerone imposter. You all write insightful and intelligent posts that enlighten me and makes me reflect upon issues we discuss.

But, the day I decide to travel to my country of origin, Iran. I can, upon arrival, be murdered by my fellow countrymen because I left "their" religion to join the religion of ancient Iran.

Zoroastrians, Jews, Bahais and Christians are all persecuted (by the clerical regime) and being forced to either leave their religion for Islam, or to leave Iran to preserve their identity.

I don't find my birth unfortunate Very Happy I find the religion I was "born" into unfortunate.

And further on, I do not find islam a religion that can be reformed Sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 06:04 pm
Mamahani, I have friends of the Muslim faith, so not all Muslims believe in persecution of other religions. I've already told you about my friend in Iran. I also have two Muslim friends in Egypt; they were both my tour guides. I also have a Muslim friend in Tanzania. He is a physician, and lives in Dar es Salaam. There are many Muslim countries in the Middle East that do not persecute people of other religions. I also think that Iran will eventually become more liberal in their political and religious beliefs and practices. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:07 am
Although I'm a Jew, I have several friends, who are Muslims.
It's no big deal to me.

What is a big deal, if I may vent here, is the conversion of a Jew to Islam. Why would anyone do this?
0 Replies