what tipe of religion are you

Monger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:36 am
New Haven wrote:
What is a big deal, if I may vent here, is the conversion of a Jew to Islam. Why would anyone do this?

Dunno...identity crisis or some such, maybe. But people around the world are always getting convinced they've just realized the true faith. It ain't much different than any other conversion, IMO. My dad converted from Jew to Christian (with a certain amount of anti-Jewish leanings).
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:46 am
I would guess, that conversion from Christian to Jew is more common than Jew to Christian or Muslim
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 09:49 pm
Born AGAIN! spiritually.

I saw God very early on in the world. I was sent to the Methodist Church. Then I started just to go to the Church on my own. I took Sunday school and learned what the OT was. Jesus did not seem real at this time. I denied him. At 16 I was born again and dived into the NT to learn what God wanted of me. I could not stop reading and 30 years later I consider myself a person who knows God in Spirit and in Truth.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 09:47 pm
I don't beleive in religion, i think it's only purpose is to give people false hope.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:44 pm
Born and raised Catholic, but, as a student of medieval religious history, I have morphed into sort of a neopagan pseudo agnostic (say that ten times fast Smile ). I hope re-incarnation is a reality, I wish to come back as a coral, or a barnacle, or something else where I can lie around all day and filter food and water...and.. catch.. up on my...sleeeppppzzzzzzz.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:03 pm
If you like lazy, a turtle would fit your needs; lazy around all day for 200 years. c.i.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 11:15 pm
Hmmmm.....turtle....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 05:20 am
I would like to return as J-Lo's loofa.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:33 pm
Christian.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 03:08 pm
Bob

Love that avatar.

Poe in his military days????
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:13 pm
New Haven wrote:
I would guess, that conversion from Christian to Jew is more common than Jew to Christian or Muslim

I don't know. I had an old girlfriend whose father had to convert from Buddhism to Judiasm before he could marry her mother, who was an Orthodox Russian Jew.

As far as I know, he never really bought into it. Pretty much the whole family placated the mother (who was a complete bitch) with all the Jewish ceremony, but never believed any of it.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:17 pm
Guess I should probably answer.

Born and raised Missouri Synod Lutheran, attended all religious schools, church twice a week, all Christian activities, etc.

Found out through research that Christianity was crap and over a couple of years, went from hardcore Christian to atheist, where I've been for the last couple decades. Have continued to research religion over the years and have found nothing but clear and present evidence that no religion is valid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:38 pm
Ruach and stand up, WELCOME to A2K. Me, I'm a atheist, and believe the bible to be a compilation of books written by men to instill some ethicial standards upon the populace, and provide answers to the unknowns of life. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:19 pm
The only tipe that counts is the tipe that you are, not the tipe I am!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:29 pm
All those godly quotes written hundreds of years after the event is pretty amazing in of itself. That's the reason why I consider them fiction; it's impossible to write verbatim history of any event even one year after the event. Even miracles don't work that way. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:33 pm
Experiment, play gossip -or whatever local name is used - just to see how much one little phrase can get changed in just a few passings of it to different people. Now, take a whole story and passing it on for generations - hundreds of year, no embellishments, no biases added-

Yeah, right Wink
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:46 pm
There's this thing called "Jews for Jesus" that many Jewish people convert to. They maintain that they're still Jewish (although Jews disagree) and christians accept them because they follow christ. Basically, they're Christians who still like Hannukah and read the Torah a lot. So, I'd say a lot more jews convert to christianity than vice versa.

"I saw God very early on in the world. I was sent to the Methodist Church. Then I started just to go to the Church on my own. I took Sunday school and learned what the OT was. Jesus did not seem real at this time. I denied him. At 16 I was born again and dived into the NT to learn what God wanted of me. I could not stop reading and 30 years later I consider myself a person who knows God in Spirit and in Truth."

There is a mass of literature and education out there on everything (well, except for specific in field texts like decoding Mayan hieroglyphs...grr.). Reading extensive literature that repeats it's self and gives you arguments for what you already know is like looking into a closet of yes men. Are my belifs correct? I have read 45 books that say "yes." But how do you know your beliefs are correct for you until you have met, unbiasedly, the other options?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:47 am
Mamahani wrote:
I was unfortunately born a muslim. But being a Persian, I consider myself Zoroastrian, although I do not practice any of their rituals.

all iranians/persians are Zorastrians - no matter what name they call themselves by.

if most of you dont know who zorastrians are, a good example if the now dead singer of the english band Queen - freedy mercury's real name is Farookh something-or-the-other - a zorastraisn from bombay, india (though zorastrianism is dead in iran, it survives in india)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:51 am
New Haven wrote:

anything but common - since there's NO conversion to judaism.

one is born a jew or not.

same with hindus.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:58 am
"since there's NO conversion to judaism. "

I distinctly remember being told by a Jew that it was possible.
0 Replies