Tom DeLay Arrested! Whoda Thunk?

parados

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:16 am
That may be the defense tactic Keltic but I would be surprised if a court would even let them argue that. They can argue the facts. If they want to argue about the politics, then the prosecutor need only point out to the jury the old saying.

"If the law is on your side, argue the law. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If neither the law nor the facts are on your side, assassinate the character of the witness."

It's a pretty straight forward case of the law and facts. I doubt any court will let the prosecutor be put on trial.

Delay's defense has quickly gone beyond the law and the facts to trying to smear anyone involved in the process.

Interesting article today about Delay's poll numbers. More people know who he is now and more don't like him. His tactics may play against him by attacking it as political. People are tired of partisan politics. Delay isn't answering the charges only playing partisan games.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:22 am
Parados:

I don't know how much DeGuerin can use his (supposed) Democratic leanings during the trial. But he is free to use them before the trial, to get out the word to the general public-the same general public from which the jury will be chosen.

Johnnie Cochran had some success painting his client as a victim of a police/prosecutor vendetta. Why not DeGuerin with Earle? Especially if DeGuerin is able to put it out there that he is pretty much a Democrat himself, (while avoiding mentioning that he likely voted in Republican primaries as well).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:29 am
I don't know all the facts related to the Kay Bailey Hutchison indictment, but it is worth noting she used DeGuerin and that, as the trial was set to begin, the judge refused to allow Earle's evidence, thus ending it before it began. Until the trial actually gets in full swing, anything could happen to derail it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:30 am
kelt, Have you heard? The republican head of DeLay's home town has denounced DeLay. They don't want anything to do with DeLay.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:33 am
Poor Tom, "You can't hide Those lyin' eyes And that smile Is a thin disguise I thought by
now You'd realize There ain't no way to hide those lyin' eyes. ..."
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:09 am
The success of DeGuerin's image spinning will depend on the quality of the prosecutors case. This is a complicated book keeping shuffle. X amount of money went from Texas to the Republicans in Washington, and the same X amount came back from Washington to Texas. But if all Earle is doing is totaling up various checks and showing that the amounts match, I think the jury will be receptive to charges of political harassment.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:38 am
And very likely, how much the jury sees the connection between the money going to the Republican Party and the equal amount going from the Republican Party to the individual candidates might well depend on how positive they feel toward DeLay personally.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:46 pm
Quote:
Judge Removed From DeLay's Criminal Case
Nov 01 3:23 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

AUSTIN, Texas

Republican U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay will get a new judge to preside over his criminal case after his attorneys successfully argued Tuesday that the judge's political donations created a conflict.

State Judge Bob Perkins, who has made campaign donations to Democrats, will be replaced by another judge, said C. W. Duncan, the judge deciding the recusal motion by DeLay. That judge was not named Tuesday.

Source
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:55 pm
good news X, I'm hoping that with the luck of the draw Delay will get a liberal judge instead of a democrat.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
good news X, I'm hoping that with the luck of the draw Delay will get a liberal judge instead of a democrat.

Don't think it'll be Alito or Miers.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:26 pm
Miers ain't a judge, so it certainly won't be her...
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
Well, none of you thought that De lay could get rid of a judge. What do you think of crooked political muscle now. I told you all that De Lay wouldent even get a slap on the wrist. And its looking more and more like he will beat this wrap because the republican party dosent care what the populace thinks.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
I heard on the news that all the judges in the trial district are registered Democrats, except one. Delay will most likely have a Democratic judge unless the trial is moved to another county (which the Repulicans want to happen). This particular judge who was removed was very vocal about his donating money to groups like Move-On.org. during the last election.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Read between the lines. De Lay is a power in Texas. He supports many politicians with the money he is accused of misapproiating. He will most likely never have to face an impartial court. Even though he is without a doubt guilty he wont serve a day because he has bought the system and even flaunts the fact that he has.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:24 pm
Rove is the big fish. When and if he get's indicted, THEN I'll celebrate.
0 Replies