Tom DeLay Arrested! Whoda Thunk?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 11:56 am
Another thought; if DeLay is innocent, it doesn't matter who the judge is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:01 pm
Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Rep. Tom DeLay appeared in court on Friday to face campaign-finance charges, but the session was cut short by his lawyer's argument that the judge is a Democrat who cannot give a fair trial to the former second-ranking Republican in the House of Representatives.

State District Judge Bob Perkins said he would ask another judge to rule on a motion filed on Thursday by DeLay attorney Dick DeGuerin. The motion asks that Perkins step aside from the case on the grounds that he gave money to Democratic candidates and the activist group MoveOn.org.

"It seems to me this is going to be a continuing issue when there's a Democratic judge and Republican defendant," Perkins said.
Source
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:05 pm
Walter, As a matter of fact, I hope they do get a republican judge. This case is going to be all over the media, and if the judge finds DeLay innocent of all charges when the facts show otherwise, more republicans are going to wonder if their party has ethics, honesty, and the interest of the American People - or it's politics as usual.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:06 pm
If you do a Google on "republicans against Bush," you'll be surprised at how many hits you'll get. This will only be another nail in Bush's coffin.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:07 pm
I'm sure you've heard the term "dead man walking."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:08 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Walter, As a matter of fact, I hope they do get a republican judge.

<Since I changed my response in between, c.i. response is related to the previous, now deleted one.>

Thanks, c.i., I agree on this.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm
…and the slander campaign begins

Rep. Tom DeLay appeared in court Friday for the first time… charges was delayed pending a hearing on his request for a new judge in the politically charged case.

Judge Bob Perkins told defense lawyer Dick DeGuerin that ``the best way for me to handle'' the request for a new judge would be to defer further proceedings.

DeGuerin noted that Perkins had donated money to MoveOn.org, a liberal organization that he said has been ``selling T-shirts with Mr. DeLay's mug shot on it.''

MoveOn.org denied it was selling any such shirts, and issued a statement that said, ``DeGuerin has either bad information or lied in court.''

link
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:20 pm
Oh, boy, what a mess

hee hee hee
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
"Lied in court" is a better explanation, because attorneys are supposed to do their homework before making statements that may be untrue. Besides, that would have been so easy to confirm or deny.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:25 pm
C.I.wrote

Quote:
Walter, As a matter of fact, I hope they do get a republican judge. This case is going to be all over the media, and if the judge finds DeLay innocent of all charges when the facts show otherwise, more republicans are going to wonder if their party has ethics, honesty, and the interest of the American People - or it's politics as usual.

If that were a factor in their voting Bush would never have gotten re-elected :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
au, Things are different today; more Americans - including more republicans - are givening Bush the thumbs down. They are beginning to understand that Bushco is a failure as our president.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:35 pm
C.I.

I would remind you that the American electorate is very fickle and has a very short attention span and memory. I would further note they are very susceptible to a good pr campaign. They can be swayed by a 30 second slot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:45 pm
au, Not when it begins to hurt their pocket book that includes higher cost for health insurance (or reduced benefits) and higher fuel costs - that reminds them daily that this president is out of touch. With the Katrina fiasco and nomination of Miers to the Supreme Court, this administration have lost many republicans that once supported Bushco - but no longer. Those numbers are increasing every day. It's not something that will turn on a dime.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
From the NYT:

October 21, 2005
Cover-Up Issue Is Seen as Focus in Leak Inquiry
By DAVID JOHNSTON
WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 - As he weighs whether to bring criminal charges in the C.I.A. leak case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the special counsel, is focusing on whether Karl Rove, the senior White House adviser, and I. Lewis Libby Jr., chief of staff for Vice President Dick Cheney, sought to conceal their actions and mislead prosecutors, lawyers involved in the case said Thursday.

Among the charges that Mr. Fitzgerald is considering are perjury, obstruction of justice and false statement - counts that suggest the prosecutor may believe the evidence presented in a 22-month grand jury inquiry shows that the two White House aides sought to cover up their actions, the lawyers said.

Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby have been advised that they may be in serious legal jeopardy, the lawyers said, but only this week has Mr. Fitzgerald begun to narrow the possible charges. The prosecutor has said he will not make up his mind about any charges until next week, government officials say.

With the term of the grand jury expiring in one week, though, some lawyers in the case said they were persuaded that Mr. Fitzgerald had all but made up his mind to seek indictments. None of the lawyers would speak on the record, citing the prosecutor's requests not to talk about the case.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
C.I.
Perhaps you are correct, however, since Bush is now a lame duck president it is not the prime import. What is how it will effect the voting in the next congressional election that is? Will those that support him and are running for reelection or election be negatively effected by their support of the mentally deprived one?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:45 pm
I think we're now seeing many republicans distancing themselves from Bushco - especially thosee that are up for reelection in 2006 and 2008.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:33 pm
And so goes the kangaroo court.

Excerpt:

Quote:
the last time I contributed to MoveOn that I know of was prior to the November election last year, when they were primarily helping Sen. (John) Kerry," the Democrats' 2004 presidential nominee.

The judge ended the exchange quickly, saying, "The best way for me to handle" the request for a different judge would be to defer further proceedings.

Source
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:47 pm
Yeah, my ass.

Cries of partisanship don't erase paper trails. DeLay is in big trouble.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
The republicans are good at playing defense; they learned that the best defense is an offense. Many Americans are beginning to see the damage being done by this administration.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:34 pm
What the heck is this?

DeLay is trying to argue that since he is a Republican leader, he is entitled to a Republican judge?

Is this guy for real?
0 Replies