COULD THE USA BECOME A SECOND CLASS NATION IN OUR....

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:10 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I agree that in principal we could have both Kyoto and new nuclear plants. However, as a matter of practical fact it was impossible. The political advocates of Kyoto claimed that with windmills and, as yet non-existant, technologies for solar power would replace the burning of fossil fuels. They promised to erase any remaining energy shortfalls by reguilation! They were adamantly opposed to nuclear power and, if they had won the political contest, there would be no opening whatever for the renewal of nuclear power in this country. Bush has put this issue on the national agenda, but, even with continued Republican victories, it will be a sticky matter.

I don't see why it is impossible. The left could have scored a victory on Kyoto, then Bush could have pushed through nuclear reactor funding.

I do think it is a flaw that up and coming countries were exempt from Kyoto, but we definitely need to cut back on the carbon pollution while it is still possible to save the planet.

georgeob1 wrote:
In noting the different patterns of trade between the United States and that of earlier European empires, I was making the point that we don't have an empire at all. There is nothing to fall.

I think the issue here may just be that we define the term "empire" differently.
0 Replies

giordansmith

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 03:03 am
I thought the US WAS a second class nation
I am astonished that anyone think the US is 'becoming' a second-class nations. By all indicators other than the prosperity of the military-industrial complex and the international muscle of its big corporations, it already is second-class.

So the question comes down to whether being biggiest and brawniest means 'first class.'

I would like to think that civilization has moved beyond the simplistic equation of muscle with greatness.

Giordan Smith
http://holocaust-lies.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:58 pm
How does the US fit into the present situation in the world? Our military is not available to move into other world hot spots....we appear to have lost some respect in Europe and probably other areas of the world...I'm not sure you can say we are No. 1...are we 2, 3, 4, etc.
0 Replies

Sleidia

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 12:05 pm
Re: COULD THE USA BECOME A SECOND CLASS NATION IN OUR....
Mapleleaf wrote:
COULD THE USA BECOME A SECOND CLASS NATION

Sure, it could.
Simply imagine the Yellow Stone volcano explodes or an undetectable asteroid hits the country ... these are possible scenarios.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 12:44 pm
The world is entering a new era in which the struggle for dominance will likely be fought between the United States, the EU, China, and possibly Russia. It is entirely possible that the U.S. could come out second (or even third) in such a struggle. However, I don't think it likely.

Many commentators in Europe opine at length about the growing national debt and unfavorable balance of payments in the U.S. as well as the wasteful manner in which we are spending our resources in Iraq, in defense generally, and in importing so much expensive petroleum. They point to our declining currency and their own accumulating wealth and suggest a turning point is near.

All the above factors are indeed true (except that our total national debt, as a % of GDP, which is in the same league as those in Europe). However it is also true that Western Europe has stood (and prospered) in the shadow and protection of the United States since soon after WWII. Like spoiled children many Europeans have come to believe that their good fortune is solely the result of their own brilliance. Life has a way of levelling such illusions. Europe also faces a growing demographic catastrophe - female fertility is low (on average about 30% below what is required for equilibrium population) and the population is ageing fast (the median age of Europeans is about four years greater than that of Americans and the gap is growing fast). The strategic & cultural challenge (as well as population pressures) from Europe's Islamic neighbors (all alienated by the colonial/imperialist past) will continue and grow.

China faces all of the political and environmental challenges that the countries of the Western world have faced over the past few generations. The brilliant economic succcess that China has achieved will require that these challenges be faced soon. China has a very good chance of dealing successfully with them, however the task will require a great deal of energy and attention. The "exponential" rise in power and potential we have seen over the past two decades is not likely to continue.

Russia faces even greater depopulation pressures than the rest of Europe, and the need for further political and social development is obvious. However its enormous energy resources will give it the ability to exercise power and deal with these issues if it has the will to do so.

All of this is only to suggest that nothing is foreordained. All of the actors in this struggle have obstacles to overcome, and it is too early in the game to pick a winner.

It also suggests some changes that are indicated in our national strategy. The aroused anger of the Islamist world is largely a result of past actions by the European powers (largely Britain and France, and, for different reasons, Germany). The truth is the dangers associated with this are much greater for Europe than the United States. We should reduce our efforts in this area to merely self-defense and let Europe deal with the larger and more urgent issues it presents.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 07:07 am
georgeob1, that's the type of information I was seeking...There....I believe I'll read it again.

Thanks
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:08 am
If America should go bust in the foreseeable future, it would seem that the G W B administration bears much of the responsibility for it according to the latest book by Joseph Stiglitz:
The Three Trillion Dollar War
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 01:03 am
paaskynen, I appreciated your reference to the book by Joseph Stiglitz: The Three Trillion Dollar War

I'm not sure where men and women of varying viewpoints can meet to talk about setting priorities for America. To this I mean, those with the power to make things happen.

Problem solving is a process kept alive through mutual respect and the conviction that a "we"solution stands a better chance of working than a "my" solution.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:35 pm
Intellectually, morally, artistically and gastronomically the USA is a third, fourth or fifth class nation. Britney Spears, Iraq, Guantanamo, rap music, Cheez Ums and Bruce Willis movies.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:45 pm
The wealth situation could change, could have changed, very fast:

After control of the oilfields the next most important reason for the US's takeover of Iraq was that Iraq had begun to accept payment in euros for its oil, opening the way for all major oil producers to do this. Were this to happen then the euro would probably become the world's reserve currency, not the dollar. This would have a major negative impact on the US economy (would, in fact, cause the collapse of the US economy) and would also severely reduce its ability to pour money into its weapons programs. By gaining control of Iraq's oil the US can now refuse payment in euros, thereby maintaining the dollar as the reserve currency "
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:41 pm
McTag wrote:

After control of the oilfields the next most important reason for the US's takeover of Iraq was that Iraq had begun to accept payment in euros for its oil, opening the way for all major oil producers to do this. Were this to happen then the euro would probably become the world's reserve currency, not the dollar. This would have a major negative impact on the US economy (would, in fact, cause the collapse of the US economy) and would also severely reduce its ability to pour money into its weapons programs. By gaining control of Iraq's oil the US can now refuse payment in euros, thereby maintaining the dollar as the reserve currency "

I can see a couple problems with that.

First, the dollar is the world's reserve currency because we are a large, stable economy -- oil sales have little to do with it.

And second, if the dollar were no longer the world's reserve currency, our economy would carry on just fine.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:23 am
Well I wonder if there any other opinions on that.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:57 am
McTag wrote:
Well I wonder if there any other opinions on that.

You rang, sir?

The dollar was originally accepted as the world's reserve currency mainly because America flooded the world with low-cost, high-quality manufactured goods (being convertible into gold also helped). In America, the words "it's imported" were synonymous with "it's expensive." If a product malfunctioned, a common expression was "it must have been made in Japan." In fact, the Japanese had such a hard time overcoming this stereotype that they actually name a city in Japan, USA, so they could label their product "made in USA." Today the exact opposite is true, as imports are inexpensive, while domestically produced products are high cost. Japanese manufactures now enjoy the reputation for quality that American manufactures lost.

The main reason America was so competitive was that it had a comparative advantage in freedom. American business incurred lower taxes and faced fewer regulations than business in any other country. Further, Americans themselves were among the world's most frugal, with high domestic savings financing capital investments. Limited government and high savings combined to allow American business to pay the highest wages in the world while still producing the least expensive products. Today America is just as highly-taxed and regulated as most other countries, and more so than many, and Americans themselves are now among the world's most profligate.

For a time, America has been able make up for its lack of exports by offering its trading partners the promise of greater financial returns on their dollars investments. However, since America now has the lowest real interest rates in the world (they are, in fact, negative) and the most over-valued stock and real estate markets, private foreign investors have no compelling reason to accumulate dollars. Not surprisingly, the principal buyers have been foreign central banks, who after all are spending taxpayer's money. There can be no question that panicked foreign central banks, which bow to political expedience, not rational self-interest, are the buyers of last resort, and that the dollar's days as the world's reserve currency are numbered.

The main reason that the US dollar is still the world's reserve currency is that few understand how completely the fabric of the American economy has been rewoven. In fact, the US economy functions in a manner which would be completely impossible were it subject to normal market forces. However, by issuing the world's reserve currency, it has been immune to these forces, and thus its economy has evolved in a most unnatural way. Recent trial balloons launched by various Asian central banks, concerning diversifying their foreign exchange reserves; indicate that the dollar's reserve currency status may already be at risk. Once that status is lost, the process of returning to economic viability will be quite painful, and will involve substantial austerity from both the US government and its citizens. Whether America is up to the task still remains to be seen.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:06 pm
oralloy wrote:
McTag wrote:

I can see a couple problems with that.

First, the dollar is the world's reserve currency because we are a large, stable economy -- oil sales have little to do with it.

And second, if the dollar were no longer the world's reserve currency, our economy would carry on just fine.

Some movement away from dollars, now.

I'm no economist, but the situation appears more volatile than your previous post allowed.
I think the USA has been printing itself more money for too long.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:58 pm
I am enjoying the exchange of opinions/concepts.

Personally, our family is interested in the US pursuing a more frugal style of living. I know this counters the buy, borrow approach pushed by our form of capitalism.

I know this is a sideline to your discussion, what is our place within the global community? What do we have to sell? What service, product, ideas do we have that other countries still want? If we develop an viable alternate energy system, is that a path that would help us...what would you suggest?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:37 pm
contrex wrote:
In fact, the Japanese had such a hard time overcoming this stereotype that they actually name a city in Japan, USA, so they could label their product "made in USA."

No they didn't: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:01 am
Robert,
Checked your resource...interesting read.

Hope my side comment has not killed the interaction? "what is our place within the global community? What do we have to sell? What service, product, ideas do we have that other countries still want? If we develop an viable alternate energy system, is that a path that would help us...what would you suggest? "
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
However it is also true that Western Europe has stood (and prospered) in the shadow and protection of the United States since soon after WWII. Like spoiled children many Europeans have come to believe that their good fortune is solely the result of their own brilliance.

That's put us in our place! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:51 pm
Mapleleaf wrote:
Robert,
Checked your resource...interesting read.

Hope my side comment has not killed the interaction? "what is our place within the global community? What do we have to sell? What service, product, ideas do we have that other countries still want? If we develop an viable alternate energy system, is that a path that would help us...what would you suggest? "

Advertising, software development (no matter what you hear about Indian programmers the US is still making nearly all the money to be made in software), and multi-media.

The U.S. is exporting art and culture on levels never seen in history, and has control of the "eyeballs" and consequently global advertising. The U.S. is leading the technology world through internet innovations and U.S. corporations control an overwhelming majority of the global internet traffic. Even in cases of foreign internet heavyweights they are all using U.S. products (routers, servers, software) all along the way.

The future for the U.S. is the same as any developed country: culture, services and tourism are the main viable "products" for a highly developed nation. Manufacturing in the U.S. will continue to become non-competitive on the global market (and the U.S. should stop pandering to such industries that aren't good enough to survive so that they can die already) and low-level services will also have a hard time competing but the emergence of advanced service needs and the degree of skill now needed to provide such services is as big of a market (and a better one for a country than exports since the people themselves are now the commodity and there is much greater switching cost).

So in short, if you want it in one word, the current U.S. export is the internet and it's software, hardware, research and service ecologies.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:57 pm
Is the CRY: WE NEED MORE JOBS another way of saying we want the familiar job titles of the last 50
years? We don't want to retrain? We are uncomfortable with computers?
0 Replies