The limits of US power - Illusion in Iraq

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 10:21 am
Steve, All good points; rather discouraging to understand why so many are hoodwinked into thinking this administration is honorable when secrecy is their MO. What is encouraging is the fact that more Americans are now beginning to understand that Iraq and Saddam is not our enemy; this administration hasn't done anything right, and the polls are beginning to show it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:45 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
In my opinion, if one's country's government decided to invade another country, and the decision to invade was "incorrect", it is the duty of the citizens to critizise their government. It is their duty to ignore any success an unlawful invasion might render. It is their duty to ignore any collaborators in the invaded country.

I don't understand how anybody could reach any other conclusion.

I didn't. I clearly must explain this as to a small child.

Nice. Well, what would Brandon have answered here?

Brandon9000 wrote:
I note that this ad hominem doesn't address any of the points of my argument.

So, let's move on.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I said that people who post nothing but criticisms of America, trumpet any conceivable military failure, including imaginary ones, with glee, and never mention any of the positive things which certainly must be occurring, are disloyal. I did not say that anyone who criticizes the war is disloyal. This is just a strawman to make it possible to argue with me.

You think way too much of yourself. It's neither a strawman I put up nor something you had said. You said

Brandon9000 wrote:
supposing [...] that the decision to invade was incorrect, that does not make the Americans any less disloyal [...]

You said, even if the war was illegal, any American who would criticize it would be disloyal. I specifically answered that one sentence. That's why I quoted it. If you wanted to say something different, you should maybe have posted it. But the way it is, I can only look at what you actually posted.

If you're incapable of wording your opinions the way you wanted to, it's not my fault, Brandon.

Brandon9000 wrote:
However, during time of war, even a war that one doesn't agree with, a loyal citizen may criticize it, but will not criticize it in such a way as to make military defeat substantially more likely.

We were not talking merely about "a war that one doesn't agree with". What we were talking about was that the "decision to invade was incorrect". A wrong decision. An illegal war. Well, you were talking about that.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question: Were Germans who criticized the invasion of Poland in 1939 disloyal?

Do you even now not comprehend that I have said that it's NOT wrong to criticize the war? I have carefully worded this opinion in this and other threads on this topic for a year or so. Criticizing the war is fine, but when an American posts an unending series of negative messages about America, including what appear to be prayers for its defeat, and never mentions any positives at all, one has to question his claim of loyalty. How many times do I have to post the same thing clearly before you pick up on it? Would you for once argue with what I am saying, rather than attempting to defeat a position I do not take?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:50 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Who is being disloyal to whom?

OK I'm a Brit so I'm talking in general terms not specifically American.

If a democratically elected government abuses its position and lies to its own people about the necessity for war...

If it tells the people they are in danger from the enemy's terrible weapons...

which it uses as justification for starting war, when it knows those weapons pose no danger

when it exploits the patriotism of young men and women and sends them off to give their lives for the profits of large corporations

when those same men and women are killed and injured and not properly cared for on their return home, but the adverts for more recruits pump out patriotic propaganda.

When journalists try and report the truth and get killed or their good name smeared, every effort being made to disguise the true nature of what is going on...

Who is being disloyal to who?

You maintain that it was clear before we invaded that Saddam Hussein (who had evaded and lied to inspectors for years, and now was claiming destruction of the WMD, but could offer no proof) now was telling the truth and had no more WMD? I should think that from the viewpoint of the months before invasion, there was some possibility that he was telling the truth and some that he was lying once again. Considering what even one WMD of certain sorts could do to a city, it seems to me that any rational American leader should have taken the matter deadly seriously.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:55 am
freedom4free wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I didn't. I clearly must explain this as to a small child. I said that people who post nothing but criticisms of America, trumpet any conceivable military failure, including imaginary ones, with glee, and never mention any of the positive things which certainly must be occurring, are disloyal. I did not say that anyone who criticizes the war is disloyal. This is just a strawman to make it possible to argue with me.

However, during time of war, even a war that one doesn't agree with, a loyal citizen may criticize it, but will not criticize it in such a way as to make military defeat substantially more likely.

I can't find any articles with positive things occurring in iraq, why dont you post some Brandon.

Looking pretty hard, are you?

Plaque Honoring Our Soldiers at Iraqi School
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
DD wrote:

Aw... don't get all up in Tico's face. I'd meet him for a beer, even if he is a flippin' Republican.

I've never met tico, but I'd have a beer with him. If I agreed with everything he posts on a2k, it'll just be a miracle - cause even all my siblings are republicans. LOL

Hey, c.i. .... of course I'd have a beer with your siblings.

Very Happy Kidding, of course. I'd have a beer with both of you (you and DD) ... but we might not want to talk politics .....

If I only had a beer for everytime someone said they'd have a beer with me ..... Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:08 pm
tico. You just have to show up at some of the a2k gatherings. We'll be in Austin from October 28 for 5 days, and will be meeting with PDiddie and shewolf - prolly for just enough time for a beer. The visit is actually to visit our older son, because my wife and other son hadn't seen him for about five years. I visited last year. Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:12 pm
anyone say beer?

I'd even have a drink with G W Bush. I'd even buy him a beer. And sell my story to the highest bidder Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:48 pm
Beer? Who said beer? I'll have a Beck's. Or a St. Pauli Girl. Whatever.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 01:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I didn't. I clearly must explain this as to a small child. I said that people who post nothing but criticisms of America, trumpet any conceivable military failure, including imaginary ones, with glee, and never mention any of the positive things which certainly must be occurring, are disloyal. I did not say that anyone who criticizes the war is disloyal. This is just a strawman to make it possible to argue with me.

I can't find any articles with positive things occurring in iraq, why dont you post some Brandon.

Looking pretty hard, are you?

Plaque Honoring Our Soldiers at Iraqi School

A plaque from September 9, 2003??

A story about elections July 9, 2004??
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
Too bad those 100,000 innocent Iraqis aren't around to thank the US forces.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Too bad those 100,000 innocent Iraqis aren't around to thank the US forces.

You keep using that number as though it actually means something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:13 pm
That's because righties have no concept of what's wrong with this war.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:21 pm
Heh, neither do you apparently.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:22 pm
You have not been reading my posts, apparantly.
0 Replies