The limits of US power - Illusion in Iraq

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:58 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
OK, Brandon, I'll grant you that my use of the word "treasonable" might have been a bit hyperbolic. What I meant was that criticising the critics is counter-productive.

You were wrong about that. You were wrong about everything else. It is sickening to hear people who actually do give aid and comfort to the enemy declaring themselves patriots.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:14 pm
Before you accuse people of treason based on the constitution Brandon you might want to go read the document.

Quote:

Section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The constitution requires that you adhere to the enemy and give them aid and comfort and the act be OVERT and witnessed by 2 people. Disagreeing with the government in no way is treason under even the most liberal reading.

What is sickening is people accusing others of Treason when they have no idea what treason really is. It shows a complete lack of argument to accuse treason. Merry apologized for the use of the word. Your turn now Brandon.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
OK, Brandon, I'll grant you that my use of the word "treasonable" might have been a bit hyperbolic. What I meant was that criticising the critics is counter-productive.

You were wrong about that. You were wrong about everything else. It is sickening to hear people who actually do give aid and comfort to the enemy declaring themselves patriots.

"Anti-American" might be closer, Merry, as I thought freedom of expression is one of the founding principles of the nation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
parados wrote:
Before you accuse people of treason based on the constitution Brandon you might want to go read the document.

Quote:

Section 3.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The constitution requires that you adhere to the enemy and give them aid and comfort and the act be OVERT and witnessed by 2 people. Disagreeing with the government in no way is treason under even the most liberal reading.

What is sickening is people accusing others of Treason when they have no idea what treason really is. It shows a complete lack of argument to accuse treason. Merry apologized for the use of the word. Your turn now Brandon.

I didn't accuse them of treason. My apology, please, parados?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It is sickening to hear people who actually do give aid and comfort to the enemy declaring themselves patriots.

Yes, it certainly is.

I happen to think that the enemy, whose objective is to bankrupt us by keeping us involved in a never-ending war, would be more comforted by the actions and words of our president, who keeps doing the same thing over and over, with the same negative result, playing right into their hands.

So yes, I agree. George Bush sickens me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
kickycan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
It is sickening to hear people who actually do give aid and comfort to the enemy declaring themselves patriots.

Yes, it certainly is.

I happen to think that the enemy, whose objective is to bankrupt us by keeping us involved in a never-ending war, would be more comforted by the actions and words of our president, who keeps doing the same thing over and over, with the same negative result, playing right into their hands.

So yes, I agree. George Bush sickens me.

And, of course, shrieking that it was a crime to undertake the war, and that we're losing doesn't comfort them at all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:55 pm
Kicky, you have earned new respect from me on this thread. The other posters with similar points of view are also well spoken and I respect them also.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Don't get a swelled head, Brandon. And don't mistake my good manners for weakness or acquiescence to your silly point of view. I was certainly not "wrong about everything else" or anything else, for that matter. My only other mistake, besides calling your post "treasonous", was in assuming that you were a gentleman and capable of undertsanding such things as civilized discourse. Don't worry. I won't make that mistake again.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Don't get a swelled head, Brandon. And don't mistake my good manners for weakness or acquiescence to your silly point of view. I was certainly not "wrong about everything else" or anything else, for that matter. My only other mistake, besides calling your post "treasonous", was in assuming that you were a gentleman and capable of undertsanding such things as civilized discourse. Don't worry. I won't make that mistake again.

I note that this ad hominem doesn't address any of the points of my argument. How about if we all just stick to the ideas under discussion?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:47 pm
Ok Brandon, read the CIA report below, do you still believe, going to war in Iraq based on the analysis on WMD, was the right thing to do ?

Surely the CIA cannot be wrong, they had access to highly classifield intelligence data.

CIA Report Criticizes Bush Over Iraq War

Quote:
October 12, 2005 3:01 p.m. EST

Andrea Moore - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Washington, DC - (AHN) According to USA Today, a report published and released by the CIA strongly criticizes the Bush administration for not listening to pre-war intelligence that predicted the factional rivalries now threatening to split Iraq.

The report says the administration was more concerned with making the case for war, particularly with the claim that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, than intelligence on cultural and political issuses and planning for the aftermath.

In what the report calls, "an ironic twist," it says the analysis on weapons of mass destruction was wrong, but on cultural and political issues the analysis was correct.

Former CIA director George Tenet commissioned the report, which was completed as Tenet ended his tenure at the agency. It was written by a team of four former CIA analysts who had access to highly classified intelligence data.

allheadlinenews
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Ok Brandon, read the CIA report below, do you still believe, going to war in Iraq based on the analysis on WMD, was the right thing to do ?

Surely the CIA cannot be wrong, they had access to highly classifield intelligence data.

Quote:

Washington, DC - (AHN) According to USA Today, a report published and released by the CIA strongly criticizes the Bush administration for not listening to pre-war intelligence that predicted the factional rivalries now threatening to split Iraq.

The report says the administration was more concerned with making the case for war, particularly with the claim that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, than intelligence on cultural and political issuses and planning for the aftermath.

In what the report calls, "an ironic twist," it says the analysis on weapons of mass destruction was wrong, but on cultural and political issues the analysis was correct.

Former CIA director George Tenet commissioned the report, which was completed as Tenet ended his tenure at the agency. It was written by a team of four former CIA analysts who had access to highly classified intelligence data.

allheadlinenews

Yeah, listen to the CIA, like in this report outlining Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs...

The CIA was right then too, weren't they freedom4free? Surely "they had access to highly classifield intelligence data."

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Yeah, listen to the CIA, like in this report outlining Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction Programs...

The CIA was right then too, weren't they freedom4free? Surely "they had access to highly classifield intelligence data."

Rolling Eyes

Aug 1983 - Mar 1988 and

Mar 1988 - Jan 1991

Surley you can do better then that. Very Happy
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:14 pm
So Saddam was gona take over the World with this right ? Very Happy

http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd/Iraq_Oct_2002_files/image012.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:22 pm
freedom4free wrote:

Quote:

allheadlinenews

Are you people constitutionally incapable of following a single thread of logic? Even supposing, which I do not, that the decision to invade was incorrect, that does not make the Americans any less disloyal who ignore any success we have, ignore any Iraqi who likes us, and gleefully trumpet any potential military or other failure.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:46 pm
I am anything but gleeful over the debacle in Iraq.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:52 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I am anything but gleeful over the debacle in Iraq.

Then perhaps you're not one of those who has posts that quote various potential miltary setbacks with comments like, "Look, we're failing here," and "looking we're getting creamed here," and "Ha ha look what jerks we made of ourselves here." In fact, wasn't there an A2K liberal thread for a long time with some title like, "I Want Us to Fail in Iraq?"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 04:19 pm
Who gives a shet about "setbacks and getting creamed?" Most of us care about 1) our military men and women being sacrificed for some unknown goals (that have changed several times), 2) the cost of this war at $5 billion every month - at a time when we can use that money at home for our children and health care, and 3) no foreign policy by this administration that makes any sense. "Stay the course" is not a policy. It just leaves the present quagmire into the future.

Two-thirds of Americans question our involvement in this war. Why is it that you, Brandon, still support it? Are most Americans wrong and you are right? You'd better shrink that head a bit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
Don't get tricked into being on the defensive, DD.

This tactic would be hilarious if the subject matter were not so serious.

I wonder if the same tactic was used in the days of the Civil Rights struggle in the US?

"We discriminate against black people here!"

You are unpatriotic.

"Huh? Whatever, as a country, we need to face this issue>"

Why do you hate America?

"What? Look at the way black people are prevented from voting in the south."

You scum! Why do you always look only for the bad in your country! Ameruca, love it, or get fucked!

The right certainly began using this tactic a few years ago here: talking about a "black arm band view of history" when the realities of the white invasion here were looked at...only, in the schools where the rich go, you are supposed to say "settlement" not invasion. Invasion is UNPATRIOTIC, WHY DO YOU HATE AUSTRALIA!

Raising disturbing matters for discussion is not bad, and needs no defense.

So, what about the limits of coalition power in Iraq, then?

It was an interesting discussion until this ridiculous side tracking began.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:43 pm
There is no more insidious or wrong-minded slogan than that old shibboleth "My country, right or wrong." I cringe any time I hear that. It clearly implies that I, as a citizen, am duty-bound to support and applaud any action whatsoever that is undertaken in the name of my country -- be it slavery, abrogation of civil liberties, military adventurism abroad or outright dictatorship. That smacks of Stalinism and of the idol-worshipping of Mao Zedong. These people who claim to hate the "left" so much use all the tactics of the old "left" -- in other words, the tactics of the thankfully defunct Communist bloc. If my country is wrong, I will certainly not run around, saying, "My country, right or wrong." I will strive to point out the wrongs to my fellow citizens as well as to the administation running the country and ask that administartion to cease and desist. Which, in effect, is what we're doing on these threads. I have been accused of being gleeful when American soldiers are killed. How does advocating that those soldiers be taken out of harm's way brand one as anti-military or, worse, anti-American?

But, dlowan is quite right, of course. This bickering over what is and what is not "patriotic" has distracted us nicely from the original subject of the thread. Nice work, Brandon and McGentrix.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 06:54 pm
MA, A well writen post that I agree with. It's interesting that although the majority of Americans now realize the futility of this war, some will hang on to their last thread of advocacy for a war gone haywire. They continue to use such ridiculous arguments such as "you support the enemy, you are gleeful when our soldiers are killed (or when things go wrong), you are not patriotic, and if you're not with us, you're with the enemy."

I wonder what they think we are winning in Iraq?
0 Replies