The limits of US power - Illusion in Iraq

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:50 pm
Here's a related question.

One of the negative outcomes much discussed here is the possibility of Iraq fragmenting.

As I understand it, the ME, like Africa after colonisation, and Europe after WW I (please correct me if I am wrong) was carved up at the will of the powers that were, to suit them and their notions of naion states, and with very little concern about the actual social structures and loyalties and divisions of the areas being carved up.

It seems that the Sunni, Shia and Kurdish divisions were amongst the things that led to the rise of a dictator like saddam.......am I right?

Anyhoo, while central governments naturally fight against their countries being disbanded, would it actually be so bad for Iraqis if there ended up being 3 countries? Assuming, for a moment, that there is not a civil war to try and prevent it.

Like, are there major differences between the natural resources in the different areas? (If there ARE different areas for Sunnis and Shi'ites??????)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
Iraq control sort of just fell into Saddam's hand, because the leader at that time suffered from bad health and no interest in administration.

The history of Iraq goes back to the early thirties when the Brits consolidated three provinces, the Mosul, Baghdad, and Basra into one political entity - the big mistake. Before that, Iraq's history goes back to the Ottomons and many other leaders and countries. They've always been kind of screwed up. The war with Iran from 1980 ti 1988 was a disaster for both until the UN SC passed resolution 598 to cease fire that both signed in 1990 to settle their differences.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm
Quote:
Anyhoo, while central governments naturally fight against their countries being disbanded, would it actually be so bad for Iraqis if there ended up being 3 countries? Assuming, for a moment, that there is not a civil war to try and prevent it.

So - who would control the oil?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 09:28 pm
The oil is now the dilemma of Iraq to work out their difference. I see a civil war in their future.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
would it actually be so bad for Iraqis if there ended up being 3 countries?

That is a FANTASTIC question. I don't have the answer. Where's that Setanta guy when you need him?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:30 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:

So - who would control the oil?

America, of course.

But, that is the a key question. If the falling apart scenario were to happen, it would be bad if one group had all the oil.

I am gathering, without claiming expert knowledge, that the disintegration option is a very possible one.

Civil war is a terrifying possibility. Or even outside (apart form the US, which is a given) interference. Eg Turkey would NOT be happy to see an independent Kurdish state appear, because it is opposing such a state for its own Kurds, with consequent cruelty and awfulness on both sides.

And Iran....how would they react?

But, I was attempting to ask the question only on the basis of internal fairness and viability.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:09 pm
The issue of fragmentation is the central issue.

Quote:
Zbigniew Brzezinski: A sorry foreign policy own goal

14oct05

ABOUT 60 years ago Arnold Toynbee concluded, in his monumental Study of History, that the ultimate cause of imperial collapse was "suicidal statecraft". Sadly for President George W. Bush's place in history and, much more important, ominously for America's future, that adroit phrase increasingly seems applicable to the policies pursued by the US since the cataclysm of September 11.

Though there have been some hints that the Bush administration may be beginning to reassess the goals, so far defined largely by slogans, of its unsuccessful military intervention in Iraq, Bush's recent speeches have been a throwback to the demagogic formulations he employed during the 2004 presidential campaign to justify a war that he started.
That war, advocated by a narrow circle of decision-makers for motives still not fully exposed, propagated publicly by rhetoric reliant on false assertions, has turned out to be much more costly in blood and money than anticipated. It has precipitated worldwide criticism. In the Middle East it has stamped the US as the imperialistic successor to Britain and as a partner of Israel in the military repression of the Arabs. Fair or not, that perception has become widespread throughout the world of Islam.

Now, however, more than a reformulation of US goals in Iraq is needed. The persistent reluctance of the administration to confront the political background of the terrorist menace has reinforced sympathy among Muslims for the terrorists. It is a self-delusion for Americans to be told that the terrorists are motivated mainly by an abstract "hatred of freedom" and that their acts are a reflection of a profound cultural hostility. If that were so, Stockholm or Rio de Janeiro would be as much at risk as New York City. Yet, in addition to New Yorkers, the principal victims of serious terrorist attacks have been Australians in Bali, Spaniards in Madrid, Israelis in Tel Aviv, Egyptians in the Sinai and Britons in London.

There is an obvious political thread connecting these events: the targets are America's allies and client states in its deepening military intervention in the Middle East. Terrorists are not born but shaped by events, experiences, impressions, hatreds, ethnic myths, historical memories, religious fanaticism and deliberate brainwashing.

They are also shaped by images of what they see on television, and especially by feelings of outrage at what they perceive to be the brutal denigration of their religious kin's dignity by heavily armed foreigners. An intense political hatred for America, Britain and Israel is drawing recruits for terrorism not only from the Middle East but as far away as Ethiopia, Morocco, Pakistan, Indonesia and even the Caribbean.

America's ability to cope with nuclear nonproliferation has also suffered. The contrast between the attack on the militarily weak Iraq and America's forbearance of a nuclear-armed North Korea has strengthened the conviction of the Iranians that their security can only be enhanced by nuclear weapons. Moreover, the recent US decision to assist India's nuclear program, driven largely by the desire for India's support for the war in Iraq and as a hedge against China, has made the US look like a selective promoter of nuclear weapons proliferation. This double standard will complicate the quest for a constructive resolution of the Iranian nuclear problem.

Compounding such political dilemmas is the degradation of America's moral standing in the world. The country that has for decades stood tall in opposition to political repression, torture and other violations of human rights has been exposed as sanctioning practices that hardly qualify as respect for human dignity. Even more reprehensible is the fact that the shameful abuse and/or torture in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib was exposed not by an outraged administration but by the US media. In response, the administration confined itself to punishing a few low-level perpetrators; none of the top civilian and military decision-makers in the Department of Defence and on the National Security Council who sanctioned "stress interrogations" (aka torture) were publicly disgraced, prosecuted or forced to resign. The administration's opposition to the International Criminal Court now seems quite self-serving.

Finally, complicating this sorry foreign policy record are war-related economic trends. The budgets for the departments of Defence and Homeland Security are now larger than the total budget of any nation, and they are likely to continue escalating as budget and trade deficits transform the US into the world's No.1 debtor nation. At the same time, the direct and indirect costs of the war in Iraq are mounting, even beyond the pessimistic prognoses of its early opponents, making a mockery of the administration's initial predictions. Every dollar so committed is a dollar not spent on investment, on scientific innovation or on education, all fundamentally relevant to America's long-term economic primacy in a highly competitive world.

It should be a source of special concern for thoughtful Americans that even nations known for their traditional affection for America have become openly critical of US policy. As a result, large swaths of the world, including nations in East Asia, Europe and Latin America, have been quietly exploring ways of shaping regional associations tied less to the notions of trans-Pacific, or trans-Atlantic, or hemispheric co-operation with the US. Geopolitical alienation from America could become a lasting and menacing reality.

That trend would especially benefit America's historic ill-wishers and future rivals. Sitting on the sidelines and sneering at America's ineptitude are Russia and China: Russia, because it is delighted to see Muslim hostility diverted from itself towards the US, despite its own crimes in Afghanistan and Chechnya, and is eager to entice America into an anti-Islamic alliance; China, because it patiently follows the advice of its ancient strategic guru, Sun Tzu, who taught that the best way to win is to let your rival defeat himself.

In a very real sense, during the past four years the Bush team has dangerously undercut America's seemingly secure perch on top of the global totem pole by transforming a manageable, though serious, challenge largely of regional origin into an international debacle. Because the US is extraordinarily powerful and rich, it can afford, for a while longer, a policy articulated with rhetorical excess and pursued with historical blindness. But in the process, the US is likely to become isolated in a hostile world, increasingly vulnerable to terrorist acts and less and less able to exercise constructive global influence. Flailing away with a stick at a hornets' nest while loudly proclaiming "I will stay the course" is an exercise in catastrophic leadership.

But it need not be so. A real course correction is still possible, and it could start soon with a modest and commonsense initiative by the President to engage the Democratic congressional leadership in a serious effort to shape a bipartisan foreign policy for an increasingly divided and troubled nation. In a bipartisan setting, it would be easier not only to scale down the definition of success in Iraq but actually to get out, perhaps even as early as next year. And the sooner the US leaves, the sooner the Shias, Kurds and Sunnis will either reach a political arrangement on their own or some combination of them will forcibly prevail.

With a foreign policy based on bipartisanship and with Iraq behind us, it would also be easier to shape a wider Middle East policy that constructively focuses on Iran and on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process while restoring the legitimacy of America's global role.

Zbigniew Brzezinski was national security adviser to US president Jimmy Carter from 1977 to 1981.

Today's Australian.

Link

Today's word goes along with it - this was a letter again in today's Australian

Quote:
The Germans have a word to explain the proposed workplace agreement legislation - it is "schlimmbesserung", which simply means "an improvement that makes things worse".
Boyd Granzow
Coburg North, Vic

I reckon GWB has pulled a schlimmbesserung in Iraq
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:59 pm
// SPAL (Simple Political Argument Loop) 0.0.1 BETA

if($opponents_political_party CRITICIZES $my_political_party)
{
IGNORE $subject AND reduce_to_lowest_common_denominator()
}

function reduce_to_lowest_common_denominator()
{
SELECT $exemplar_irrationality FROM $past_criticisms WHERE $criticizers_political_party = $opponents_political_party
IGNORE $differences_between_individuals_in_party
GROUP ALL $past_criticisms
ASCRIBE $exemplar_irrationality_array TO $political_counterpart

// Example usage "Ever notice how $opponents_political_party simply have an $emotive_adjective irrational hatred of $my_political_party"
}

if ($opponents_political_party USES $reduce_to_lowest_common_denominatory)
{
IGNORE $subject AND monolythize()
}

function monolythize()
{
SELECT rand FROM $past_criticisms WHERE $criticizers_political_party = $opponents_political_party;
IGNORE WHETHER individual voiced any of the $past_criticisms
GROUP ALL $past_criticisms
ASCRIBE $individual_hypocrisy to $political_counterpart

// Example usage "Remember $past_criticisms? $opponents_political_party also criticized $my_political_party. You can't have it both ways"
}

if ($opponents_political_party USES $monolythize)
{
IGNORE $subject AND ambiguate()
}

function ambiguate()
{
SELECT $safe_examples_of_our_criticism AND $generalization_by_opponent
EMPHASIZE RESULTS
GENERALIZE the $safe_examples_of_our_criticism to $my_political_party AND $exemplar_irrationality FROM $opponents_political_party
CLOSE WITH $exemplar_irrationality FROM $opponents_political_party

//Example usage "Hold on, the $political_criticism by $my_political_party is not on the same level, remember $exemplar_irrationality?"

}

if($repeated_too_many_times = TRUE AND $writer = GEEK)
{
write_silly_code()
}

function write_silly_code()
{
try_to_actually_use_a_real_programming_language()
realize_that_it_will_be_in_a_different_sequence_than_readers_are_used_to()
realize_that_syntax_is_irrelevant_for_this_silly_code();
take_great_liberties_for_fun()
write_disclaimer_for_technical_readers_so_they_dont_think_you_think_code_works_like_this_and_throw_you_out_of_geek_club()
}
}
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:08 am
Isn't that "monolithize"?

If we are verbolithing nouns.

Or is that "verbolithingagement"?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:13 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Who gives a shet about "setbacks and getting creamed?" Most of us care about 1) our military men and women being sacrificed for some unknown goals (that have changed several times), 2) the cost of this war at $5 billion every month - at a time when we can use that money at home for our children and health care, and 3) no foreign policy by this administration that makes any sense. "Stay the course" is not a policy. It just leaves the present quagmire into the future.

Two-thirds of Americans question our involvement in this war. Why is it that you, Brandon, still support it? Are most Americans wrong and you are right? You'd better shrink that head a bit.

Yes, you are constitutionally incapable of following one single point of argument. None of this is relevant to my charge that a number of the liberal A2K posters are disloyal Americans. Everything you have mentioned is worthy of discussion, but it's a different discussion than the one you are replying to.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:17 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
There is no more insidious or wrong-minded slogan than that old shibboleth "My country, right or wrong." I cringe any time I hear that. It clearly implies that I, as a citizen, am duty-bound to support and applaud any action whatsoever that is undertaken in the name of my country -- be it slavery, abrogation of civil liberties, military adventurism abroad or outright dictatorship. That smacks of Stalinism and of the idol-worshipping of Mao Zedong.

I hope you're not talking about me, because I said no such thing. I have repeatedly stated that criticism of those in power is often good, but that doesn't mean that some individuals who are critical of their country cannot be disloyal. Now this has reached the point of just being stupid. You're arguing with a position which I have never taken. If you were in the right, you would be able to prevail arguing against the position that I actually did take - that only trumpeting the negatives with glee, and never mentioning the positives, which really are there, is disloyal.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:25 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
a number of the liberal A2K posters are disloyal Americans.

And you are number one on that list. I'm sick of your posts telling others that they are disloyal for just bringing up things that might make a complete paranoid like yourself uncomfortable. Osama and his buddies want us to bankrupt ourselves by fighting this possibly unending war, and you defend it. Congratulations Brandon, you've jumped ship, and are now officially helping aid and comfort the enemy. I don't hate you for it though. I pity you. How sad that you can't think past George Bush's a$$hole, which you seem to have your lips cemented to. Think about it, for a change, please.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 03:23 am
I think Craven said it best.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:25 am
Aargh.

Derailed again.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:41 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Even supposing, which I do not, that the decision to invade was incorrect, that does not make the Americans any less disloyal who ignore any success we have, ignore any Iraqi who likes us, and gleefully trumpet any potential military or other failure.

I didn't want to comment at first. I don't want to derail the thread. But.

In my opinion, if one's country's government decided to invade another country, and the decision to invade was "incorrect", it is the duty of the citizens to critizise their government. It is their duty to ignore any success an unlawful invasion might render. It is their duty to ignore any collaborators in the invaded country.

I don't understand how anybody could reach any other conclusion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
I wonder if it might arouse interest in the original proposed discussion here if I posted a bit more of the articles referred to in the first post?
I am finding them very interesting:

"The limits of US power

Published: 10 Oct 2005
By: Lindsey Hilsum

The limits of American power are there for all to see. Ask yourself why Iran is so confident today.

As the sickle moon rose to mark the start of Ramadan, the Americans launched their biggest offensive in Iraq this year. Insurgents control Haditha and other towns near the border with Syria.

The aim of the simultaneous operations River Gate and Iron Fist is to kill as many as possible, and then turn the area over to forces loyal to the government in Baghdad.

If that sounds familiar, it's because you've heard it before.

Rockets, missiles and bombs

A year ago I was in Fallujah, witnessing a similar assault. As darkness fell I watched a unit of US marines take up positions on a roof above the rubble.

The crescent moon shone white in the sky. Twenty-one Iraqi fighters lay dead, after the building from which they had been sniping at the marines was flattened by rockets, missiles, bombs and anything else the Americans could launch at it. The suburb was in ruins.

The insurgents had not stood a chance against the Americans' superior firepower.

Repeat business

So how come the marines are repeating the exercise now, a few miles up the road?

Sir Rupert Smith, the retired general who commanded the British Armoured Division in the 1991 Gulf war, has the answer in his book, The Utility of Force: the art of war in the modern world.

His thesis is that "industrial war", the use of overwhelming force, which characterised 20th-century warfare, is obsolete.

Quoting Foucault, he says: "Power is not a possession; it is a relationship."

America, he says, is not very powerful in Iraq. There can be no victory because in conflicts like this one overwhelming force can win only the battle, not the war.

Extraordinary faith

It was Madeleine Albright, then US ambassador to the UN and frustrated over lack of intervention in Bosnia, who famously asked the then chief of staff, Colin Powell: "What's the point in having this superb military you are always talking about if we can't use it?"

Modern western politicians put extraordinary faith in the military to solve complex political problems, against the advice of soldiers such as Smith.

The threat of force is a powerful tool, but by using it in Iraq the Americans have exposed their weakness: the limits to their power are there for all to see. The most advanced armies in the world cannot beat a few thousand rebels armed only with Kalashnikovs and second-hand rocket-propelled grenades.

Young men armed with rifles

It is a lesson guerrillas learned long ago, from Rhodesia to Vietnam, but now television has spread the message across the world.

Just before the Fallujah assault last year, in the mangrove swamps of the Niger Delta in Nigeria, a group of young men armed with rifles and fishing spears found they could manipulate the price of oil.

Mujahid Dokubo Asari, the leader of the Niger Delta People's Volunteer Force, threatened to attack oil installations across Nigeria's oil-producing south.

The following day oil prices shot above $50 a barrel for the first time. His was the most militant group demanding that the people of the delta get a bigger share of the profits from the oil pumped from their land by Shell, Chevron, Agip and other multinationals..................

continues here:

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=890&parasStartAt=1
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
"Illusion in Iraq

Published: 26 Sep 2005
By: Lindsey Hilsum

Iraqis have as many illusions as Bush about their country, like children closing their eyes and saying, "You can't see me".

Everyone has their fantasy Iraq, because reality is too hard to bear.

Tony Blair has an Iraq where things are gradually getting better, by way of things getting worse first - a bit like driving from London to Edinburgh via Brighton. "As we make the advance towards democracy, the terrorists will get more frenetic," explains John Reid, Secretary of State for Defence.

Their Iraq is full of democrats bravely standing up to terrorism.

Spiralling violence

Reid refers to the large turnout of Iraqi people for the election in January without mentioning the widespread disillusion and anger among voters when, for months, their elected representatives squabbled rather than governed, and then failed to control the spiralling violence.

He talks time and again of atrocities committed by Saddam Hussein, and never mentions disturbing evidence of current abuses by the new Iraqi forces.

British military leaders have their illusions, too, revelling in the notion that the British operation in Basra is more subtle and successful than that of our crude American allies.

Basra becomes Baghdad

Until now, policing Basra has been relatively easy, because the Shias who populate the south had made a strategic decision not to fight the occupation. Yet when the British take on potential opponents, Basra starts to look like Baghdad.

After British forces arrested two leading members of the militia loyal to the populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr at the weekend, demonstrators jammed the streets and stoned British vehicles.

Two British officers, operating undercover disguised as Arabs, were arrested after allegedly shooting at Iraqi police. The mob torched a British armoured personnel carrier and tried to attack British soldiers.

The master illusionist

Religious zealots are increasingly powerful in the Basra provincial authority, as they are in the police, a fact highlighted by the American reporter Steven Vincent last month, before he was murdered by men reportedly wearing police uniform.

George Bush is the master illusionist, telling the UN General Assembly that Iraq is "an exciting opportunity for all of us in this chamber". His even more deluded vice-president declared in June that the growing insurgency was "in its last throes".

But Iraqis I know are equally illusioned............"

Continues here:

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=773
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
a number of the liberal A2K posters are disloyal Americans

Yeah! Like dlowan and blatham!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:05 am
Back to the thread...

I've said it before, but the US military is designed to project power. It is unsurpassed as an offensive weapon. But maintaining order in Iraq calls for a constabulary, not a military force.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
American liberals have been critical of the US before the Iraq war, and will continue to be so long after.

(Craven: Have no fear ... there's no chance of you being kicked out of the geek club. :wink: )
0 Replies