Dark Chocolate–miracle drug/another good reason to eat it!

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:26 pm
Chemical (flayonoids) found in dark chocolate may be natural diarrhea remedy and antioxidants (flavonols) also found in chocolate may help smokers' blood vessels.

Results of a new study in the Journal of Nutrition, suggest that flavonoids may be used in nutritional supplements as a natural remedy for diarrhea (dark chocolate contains the highest concentration of these flavonoids). "Our study presents the first evidence that fluid loss by the intestine can be prevented by cocoa flavonoids," says researcher Horst Fischer, PhD, an associate scientist at Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute. "Ultimately, this discovery could lead to the development of natural treatments that are inexpensive, easy to access, and are unlikely to have side effects." Researchers say the use of cocoa to treat diarrhea dates back to ancient South American and European cultures.

Also, chocolate may help repair damage to smokers' blood vessels, at least temporarily, a new study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology states. The benefit may stem from antioxidants called flavonols that are found in chocolate. In the study, blood vessel function was notably better after drinking a flavonol-rich drink. That might be due to rises in levels of a chemical called nitric oxide in the blood. The study was funded by an unrestricted grant from candy maker Mars Inc., which also supplied the cocoa drinks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,994 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:31 pm
Re: Dark Chocolate-miracle drug/another good reason to eat i
Linkat wrote:
Researchers say the use of cocoa to treat diarrhea dates back to ancient South American and European cultures.

I'm quite astonished about this, since I until now thought that Columbus brought the cacao beans he seized back to Europe, and that cacoa arrived there for the very first time in Europe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:40 pm
Ancient is a vague term......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:10 pm
great... thanks Linkat..
now I really have a ton of reasons to eat chocolate.
ohhh.. the humanity!

> slips chocolate into mouth <
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
"History shows that the use of cocoa to treat diarrhea dates back to the 16th century by ancient South American and European cultures."

Here is the full article … http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051001101803.htm

The tasty secret of the cacao (kah KOW) tree was discovered 2,000 years ago in the tropical rainforests of the Americas. The first people known to have made chocolate were the ancient cultures of Mexico and Central America. The Spanish conquest of the Aztecs made it possible to import chocolate back to Europe - History of chocolate. http://www.fieldmuseum.org/chocolate/history.html
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:54 am
Good thing to know since I love chocolate Exclamation Exclamation

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/Bella81/HW-TRICKORTREATDOLL.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:55 am
Funny...chocolate gives me diarrhea. Laughing
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:00 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:02 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Shocked

Allergic to milk. Dark chocolate isn't quite as bad.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:08 am
so red wine lowers blood pressure
chocolate is good for you.

Watch out for redwineandchocolate diet supplement pills soon.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:09 am
Bella Dea wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Shocked

Allergic to milk. Dark chocolate isn't quite as bad.

So, for Halloween you can only eat the other non chocolate candies. Sad

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/wwright43/pumpcat.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:13 am
I can have it, i just have to be mindful of how much.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:20 am
How about white chocolate? I find white chocolate lacking in flavor.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:22 am
and colour

and probably chocolate
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:34 am
White chocolate contains cocoa butter, milk solids, sugar, lecithin and flavorings (usually including vanilla).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:46 am
no cocaine then?

damn all snorting for nothing. Got in a terrible mess too
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:04 am
Dark chocolate is also better of the two (milk vs. dark) asdark has a higher percentage of cocoa (which is the healthy factor).

Funny Steve, there is something incredible about eating really good quality high percentage cocoa dark chocolate and a great dry red wine. I moan louder when eating that combination.

White chocolate does nothing - not enough cocoa (not really chocolate in my opinion). - nasty stuff.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
You and I are totally singing off the same sheet of music on this one, Linkat! Smile I have yet to find a combination more sinfully delicious than dark chocolate and great red wine or even port.

I've lived the last 25 years in the Sonoma Valley (you know, the bigger wine producing area that sits right next to the Napa Valley?) and for as long as I can remember, dark chocolate was always an accompaniment to red wine, especially right after dinner, before the wine bottles were emptied. Small plates of dark chocolate were always within reach.

I love to bite off a nibble of chocolate and take a sip of wine and swirl the two together in my mouth while the chocolate melts and marries with the wine. It can put me in a whole other mind zone...... Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:41 am
I'm moaning just thinking of it...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:41 am
I love to dip fresh fruit into melted dark chocolate!
0 Replies