Calling in sick??

viv411

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:01 pm
I need some good excuses so I can call out this Monday. I'm going to Busch Gardens & Sea World and I won't be back until Monday night. It's a new job, I've been working for three months and only called in once and that was during Katrina. So any good ones any of you have used I'll try. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,092 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Wy

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:12 pm
Lie flat on your back when you make the call. Everybody sounds sick when they're lying down flat. And keep it simple -- "I won't be in -- I can't be too far from the plumbing!" is plenty. The more details in your story the less likely you'll be believed.

And no doubt Katrina was a good excuse, but I'd try to go six months without calling in after this one. They really do pay attention to attendance.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:45 pm
If you really like your job and want to keep, I wouldn't suggest calling in sick - you have only been there for 3 months and you already called in sick once.

However, if you do, simply say you don't feel well. The employer does not need to know any details, however, if you continue calling sick on a some what regular basis - watch out. Many places have a policy in place where anything along the lines of more than 3 separate incidents of calling in without a medical note from a doctor could be grounds for some sort of discipline from verbal to written. You may want to find out your company policy on absenses first.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
I don't think you should call in sick. You would be lying.

Maybe you need to ask yourself, "What is more important? My job or Seaworld?"

If you call in sick, does that mean someone else has to pick up the void you are leaving? Do you think that is fair to everyone else?

I am asking you these questions because my husband has quite a few that call in with "excuses" and it causes problems for the ones that do show up.

I came back because I just thought of something else. What if your boss of one of your co-workers happens to see your post and puts two and two together? How would you explain it?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:56 pm
People like you really piss me off because you screw life up for all of us who actually request time and can't get it because someone has to pick up the slack of the slackers. Your lying causes unnecessary work for the other people at work and while they are wishing you a speedy recovery, you are off having the time of your life. Not to mention, people can pick out fakers and they don't like them. You will soon be known in your company as the girl who calls in when she isn't sick. AKA, the liar. If you wanted this day off, you should have requested it like the rest of us do. If you couldn't get it off, arrangements should have been made to accommodate work. I hope you are a teenager because that's the only excuse I can think of that would justify your unethical work practices; just ignorance of the way things work in the real world. Those wtih the best work ethics are the ones who always get screwed. And NOT in a good way.

I am a firm believer in working to live, not living to work but I don't screw my employer over with lies. I want time, I ask for it. Yes or no, I ask for it and earn it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:59 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
People like you really piss me off because you screw life up for all of us who actually drequest time and can't get it because someone has to pick up the slack of the slackers. Your lying causes unncessary work for the other people at work and while they are wishing you a speedy recovery, you are off having the time of your life. Not to mention, people can pick out fakers and they don't like them. You will soon be known in your company as the girl who calls in when she isn't sick. AKA, the liar. If you wanted this day off, you should have requested it like the rest of us do. If you couldn't get it off, arrangements should have been made to accomodate work. I hope you are a teenager because that's the only excuse I can think of that would justify your unethical work practices; just ignorance of the way things work in the real world.

I am a firm believer in working to live, not living to work but I don't screw my employer over with lies. I want time, I ask for it. Yes or no, I ask for it and earn it.

You go Bella!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
Here here!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:09 pm
This person is exactly the reason I turned down a job - no wait I didn't even give the employer a chance to hire me when I interviewed there. I once interviewed for a job where the interviewer asked me what I would do if on the first nice day (after winter) several people called in sick. My answer was - nothing because I would not work at a place that hired such unprofessional people. I actually did not say this, but really wanted to.

I am a manager, but all the people who report to me are professional. I am sure on a rare occasion some one calls in when they are not really sick, but may need a mental health day, but I have never noticed anyone calling in when they were really needed and if they did they would usually be available by phone or other means because they felt responsible for their work.

I honestly could not imagine having some one reporting to me that would call in sick - especially after only 3 months in employment - to go to an amusement park. It is a true sign of immaturity. As I stated before, if you decide to call in - you must not really want to work there - and you must realize you are putting your job on the line. I certainly would not stand for it and probably would speak with you when you returned - not necessarily because I thought you were faking being sick, but want to ensure that this is not a continuing habit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
Linkat wrote:

I am sure on a rare occasion some one calls in when they are not really sick, but may need a mental health day, but I have never noticed anyone calling in when they were really needed and if they did they would usually be available by phone or other means because they felt responsible for their work.

Exactly. People who care about their jobs are available in an emergency, even when sick. A good boss knows a good employee and won't call you unless absolutly necessary. There are exceptions to this, of course, being in the hospital or somewhere you cannot be reached but the key to all is planning. An employer will be less angry that you took a day off and were unreachable than calling in and being unreachable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
viv411- When you accepted your job, you agreed to an implicit contract that you would show up for work. As a new employee, you are not entitled to any vacation or personal time.

It would be very foolish of you to compromise your integrity for something as inconsequential as a trip to Sea World. Besides the fact that you would know, in your gut, that you lied, you run the risk of being found out, and labeled a liar.

If you work hard, and perform the work to which you agreed, soon enough you will have paid personal and vacation time. Sea World will still be there next year. But if you get into the the habit of cutting out of work and lying, you may very well not have job when next year comes around.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
One time I had to call in on my second day on a new job.
I was TRULY sick.
I was sick in the interview as well. Lucky for me, i was sick enough that it showed then and my then boss was so wonderful about it.
Even though i was sick, I felt horrible. I had called twice during the day and had " arranged" a phone metting with my new boss so she could continue to explain the new job to me while I wasnt able to be there. I offered her the idea of " you can train me while I am not even there"
Even with that.. i felt shitty.
I cant see calling in for fun when someone is relying on you and paying you to keep their company afloat.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
People like you really piss me off because you screw life up for all of us who actually request time and can't get it because someone has to pick up the slack of the slackers. Your lying causes unnecessary work for the other people at work and while they are wishing you a speedy recovery, you are off having the time of your life. Not to mention, people can pick out fakers and they don't like them. You will soon be known in your company as the girl who calls in when she isn't sick. AKA, the liar. If you wanted this day off, you should have requested it like the rest of us do. If you couldn't get it off, arrangements should have been made to accommodate work. I hope you are a teenager because that's the only excuse I can think of that would justify your unethical work practices; just ignorance of the way things work in the real world. Those wtih the best work ethics are the ones who always get screwed. And NOT in a good way.

I'd really like to fake it - but it's not happening anytime soon, I called in this morning to say I was telecommuting - my leg is very swollen and red - and I cannot afford another trip to the hospital for trying to be a hero.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:30 pm
Oh husker....take care of yourself.

Your situation is one of the exceptions to the rule. Your health is truly more important than any job.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:38 pm
Husker,

I will pray for a speedy recovery! You take care of yourself!

I love you!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:46 pm
husker wrote:

I'd really like to fake it - but it's not happening anytime soon, I called in this morning to say I was telecommuting - my leg is very swollen and red - .

you left out the part about me pole dancing sweetie..
that isnt your leg.. Cool
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:07 pm
You guys are being a little too self-righteous in your opinions on sick days, me thinks. You have made a contract with your employer, not a blood oath. If you are a good employee, and you don't do it too often, I think taking a sick day every once in a while is fine. And the first couple posters on this thread are right. The less detail, the better. Just tell them you feel sick and are not going to be able to come in.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Taking a sick day you HAVE because you are SICK is ok. Taking a personal day you have because you want to go to Sea World, is ok. Lying and calling in sick twice in 3 months at a brand new job makes you worthless, IMO, unless you have a serious medical reason for it.

I guess I got f*cked with upstanding work ethics.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:10 pm
that is fine for someone who is established in their job.
Most trial periods with employers last about 3-6 months.
If you want the job , you dedicate yourself for that amount of time.
then.,. when you need a mental day, make one.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:10 pm
I think you got the message by now, but I'm gonna vent anyway.....

you work somewhere 3 months and already with the lying and taking off to play?

Is that how you run your life in general?

What Bella said about you're not fooling anyone is true.

You're only fooling yourself when you think others don't know what you're up to.

You don't see the shaking heads and rolling eyes. You think you're so slick.

If you're there just to punch a clock, you don't understand the concept of really owning your job.

IMO, the company is better off without you.

If I were your supervisor, you'd have all the time in the world to go to Seaworld.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:11 pm
I agree with you 100% kicky, but this person appears to be abusing sick days. That is not a good employee - only working there 3 months and already calling in sick twice. Typically when you first start working, most companies have a policy of no time off at least within the first three months. Of course if some one is really ill, most managers are reasonable.

I have called in sick when I needed a mental health day and like I said, I realize that people who work for me may do this, however, that is about once maybe twice a year. This person is already showing the ground work of being a habitual absentee employee. That is my concern and also my warning to this employee.
0 Replies