Chat With Reyn

hamburger

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:25 pm
Quote:
Well, I have to admit there are no piano-playing cats in this household, but they certainly get their singing in!

maybe they prefer to play the accordion :wink: Question
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:11 pm
It's positively balmy here today - 8 degrees Celsius!

Nice change from the colder stuff we've been getting the last few days.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 07:50 pm
we have a bit of snow on the ground - perhaps 3-4 cm .
yesterday and today were quite pleasant - around 4C - so we went for a walk by lake ontario . it was quite windy - whitecaps on the lake , but some fellows were out with their sailboards putting on a good show for us .
for tomorrow the forecast shows 90% chance of hEAVY rain , up to 25 mm (i guess that's just a dribble for you on the westcoast , i guess :wink: ) .
there is colder weather and snow in the forecast for early december .
we'll be going to toronto for the weekend of dec 7 - 9 to see some shows and meet with ehbeth .
taking the VIA-train - don't feel like taking the car to toronto ; also it's only $140 return for us two seniors - that's less than the gas and parking .
all the best for you LOTUSLAND inhabitants !
hbg

:wink: :wink: :wink:
http://blog.kritiker.ch/static/images/Kritiker/KAtzen.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:46 pm
Snow, yuk! There are some threats from Environment Canada of possibly some flurries, "snow showers", or snow, maybe quite soon. I hope not. Mind you, they're notoriously wrong a lot. I monitor their website for local weather reports daily, and sometimes it looks like they make it up as they go along. It's interesting how their forecasts keep being "modified" as time passes.

Hey, all the best to you there!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:38 pm
i have an old handheld CB-radio . the only thing it's good for is to get up-to-date weather forecasts from the nearest station - probably at kingston airport . one can rely on them for short-term forecasts - say 12-24 hours .

10:30 pm here - BEDTIME ! actually overdue ; were wasting our time watching "life in the city" DVD - early 1990's - actually quite good .
we get our DVD's from the city library - too cheap to buy them :wink: .
take care !
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:54 am
Small craft warning for the Georgia Straight, sunny and/or overcast with chance of rain, moderate temperatures during the day and cooler at night.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:03 pm
hamburger wrote:
i have an old handheld CB-radio . the only thing it's good for is to get up-to-date weather forecasts from the nearest station - probably at kingston airport . one can rely on them for short-term forecasts - say 12-24 hours .

Sounds quite convenient!

Locally, Environment Canada (I presume) has a station here at the Abbotsford Airport that sends in readings.

This is what I look at every day:

local weather report
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:05 pm
Chumly wrote:
Small craft warning for the Georgia Straight, sunny and/or overcast with chance of rain, moderate temperatures during the day and cooler at night.

chumly, do you also look at the Environment Canada website for Van? The post above has a link to the page I look at every day.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:15 pm
reyn :
thanks for the link - i added it to my WEATHER FILE .
i'm sure it's the same report i get over the CB - which usually sits in the bottom of my nightstand - i sometimes like to listen to the LATEST report just before hitting MY snooze button :wink:
pretty dark and dreary looking - still a promise of 15-25 mm of rain - and i still haven't raked up all the leaves Shocked .
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
Truthfully I don't bother with any weather reports at all! I find it just as reliable over time (if not more so) to simply go outside and have a look-see.

The description I gave above basically covers the lower-mainland for a lot of the time already. It's about as good a general prediction as any other because that's the way the lower-mainland is most of the time. Yes Environment Canada tries to be more accurate but often they are not!

Another good way to predict the lower-mainland weather that's about as good as Environment Canada over time (if not better) is to say the weather tomorrow will be similar to the weather today. You'll be wrong for major changes in the weather, but since lower mainland weather does not have major changes you'd be surprised how accurate this simple method is compared to how often Environment Canada gets it wrong.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
used to have postcards that showed a WEATHER MULE - the tail was represented by a piece of string .

it showed the weather in this way :
- tail moving : windy ,
- tail wet : rain ,
- tail cannot be seen : fog !
hbg Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:41 pm
Cute!

Oops I meant to say that the Lower-Mainland does not have many major changes you'd be surprised how accurate this simple method is compared to how often Environment Canada gets it wrong.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:50 pm
hamburger wrote:
reyn :
thanks for the link - i added it to my WEATHER FILE .

Hey, glad to be of help!

Mind you, take those reports from EC with a grain of salt sometimes. Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:54 pm
Chumly wrote:
[...] Yes Environment Canada tries to be more accurate but often they are not! [...]

Yes, agreed! It's interesting if you watch your local weather on the EC website how it gets constantly "massaged"! Quite a bit sometimes.

What I haven't figured out just yet is why does the local weather reporting (on CKNW, for example) vary from what EC states? From what I gather, EC provides all the raw data for the country, right? Is it just a matter of interpretation?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:03 pm
I did not know the local weather reporting varies from what EC states, not sure why that would be.

I was channel surfing today as I'm home with the flu, and the weather channel gave all these dire warnings of heavy snow, so I poked my head out the window and said to myself "nope no way........it's going to be more rain."

Guess who got it right?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:56 am
Chumly wrote:
I did not know the local weather reporting varies from what EC states, not sure why that would be.

I was channel surfing today as I'm home with the flu, and the weather channel gave all these dire warnings of heavy snow, so I poked my head out the window and said to myself "nope no way........it's going to be more rain."

Guess who got it right?

Well, we got about 5cm out here in Abby last night. Stupid mess out here now, but much melted.

Often, it's the other way around though. EC gets it wrong. The forecast has changed again. Was predicted more snow and now it basically is not going to happen.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:26 pm
I did not know it snowed in Abby, I live near Port Moody and it rained & rained & .......

My methods of predicting the weather are going to be less accurate when you get far enough away. I live at sea level and right near the ocean and two lakes, so I guess that changes things some compared to Abby.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:43 pm
Quote:
I'm home with the flu

hope you won't be travelling our way anytime soon Shocked :wink:

went to see our doctor for monthly PB check - he declared :
"you are the finest examples of good health i've seen ! "
been knocking on wood and everything else around !
why couldn't he have said what canadians usually say :
""NOT TOO BAD ! " ? :wink:

have tried to find a copy of the WEATHER MULE card via german google ; so far no luck . may have to ask walter ; he can just about find anything !
take care !
hbg

have just been raking more leaves Mad why can't say disintegrate or stay on the trees ?
they are not even our trees but city trees - i should send a bill to the city for my - meagre - efforts .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:51 pm
If you were on the wet coast, you'd trade in your winter coat and rake for a rain jacket and a pressure washer!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:39 pm
Quote:
If you were on the wet coast, you'd trade in your winter coat and rake for a rain jacket and a pressure washer!

Laughing

a neighbour - after raking the lawn - was out with the leafblower because his wife didn't like to see any leaves on the lawn .
i suggested that he vacuum the lawn :wink: - he didn't seem amused !

most of our neighbours rake the leaves , stuff them in huge paperbags that they'll have to buy for a dollar a piece and the city rumbles around with the big , stinking diesel trucks to cart them to the waste dump !
i leave most of the leaves along the hedge line and in the spring run the lawn mover over them a couple of times and i have great mulch for free (which the city sells for $5 a bag !!!) .
hbg
0 Replies