Chat With Reyn

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Reyn
I served from 1962 until Jan 1965. It was a three year enlistment, with three months early out to go to school. At the time, I had no car. Deducing it was too dangerous hitch hiking, I took to riding freights.
But, enough about me; why didn't you get your pilot's license?

How old were you at the time?

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 23. I needed it for my job when I started in 1974.

Pilot's License? I would be scared to death of flying a plane!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:25 pm
Hi Reyn!

Do you pronounce your name "Reign" or "Reihn" or something else? I say <in my head> something like "Reign" or "rain", but I just realized that maybe it should be more like the Rein in Reinhardt.

Have you travelled back to Holland since emigrating to Canada?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:30 pm
Reyn
I was born in 1942, about ten months after Pearl Harbor.
You would have looked good in the Spruce Goose. That's why I think you ought to fly planes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:42 pm
That's true, I, who am more adult than edgar by eleven months, also think of you as RAIN. Uh, oh, Rein makes sense...

Now me, it has taken me years, literally, on a2k, to figure out that probably half or more folks here think of me, sob, as
Awe So, Bucko.

Not true, not true.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:50 pm
I also pronounce it as "rain", but now that I think of it, you probably pronounce it as "wren."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:59 pm
What's that you say, Us-so-boo-cuh?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:07 pm
I thought we were supposed to call her "Bookie" , what gives ?

Hi to "wren" as well.
0 Replies

nas

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:15 pm
hullo
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:23 pm
Boo-coh, to you!

Plus of course, what'ya'callems, boocoos and fusillades..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:25 pm
The best was Debacle, long a penultimate favorite poster for me, who I mispronounce from decades of practice as debb' a cle.

Probably known to far and wide as De-Back'-le.

So, is Reyn like Rhine?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:58 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Hi Reyn!

Do you pronounce your name "Reign" or "Reihn" or something else? I say <in my head> something like "Reign" or "rain", but I just realized that maybe it should be more like the Rein in Reinhardt.

Have you travelled back to Holland since emigrating to Canada?

Hi Beth!

Reyn /Reynold is pronounced as the bird 'wren'.

Now, if you had wanted to pronounce it like the dutch version, Reinout, it would be said as the 'rein' in 'reinhardt'. Same in 'Reinhold'.

No, I've never been back to Holland since coming to Canada. For that matter, I haven't been "anywhere".

The furthest I've been out of Canada since moving here would be Bellingham, Washington (state).

As a kid growing up, our family travelled extensively within BC though. Loved Barkerville!

Since then, I've been "nowhere". A lot of that has to do with economics, but secondly, my wife and I have no real desire to do much travelling. It is expensive.

Now, if you gave me a choice and some money and asked me where would be the one place that I would like to travel, and my answer would be (without even having to think about it) England. Love the countryside there.

My wife was born in England, in the Gateshead /Newcastle area and she's told me many things. She's shown me pics of the Lake District and it's absolutely gorgeous!

Holland? Nah, don't think so.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Reyn
I was born in 1942, about ten months after Pearl Harbor.
You would have looked good in the Spruce Goose. That's why I think you ought to fly planes.

<Reyn pulls out calculator and substracts 1942 from 2005>

Oh, okay. Still a spry fellow then. My sister was born in 1947.

Spruce Goose. Hmmm, that was the plane that Howard Hughes flew, right? Can't see myself as a "Wright Brother" somehow...haha!

I'm too nerdy to fly planes.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:05 pm
ossobuco wrote:
That's true, I, who am more adult than edgar by eleven months, also think of you as RAIN. Uh, oh, Rein makes sense...

Now me, it has taken me years, literally, on a2k, to figure out that probably half or more folks here think of me, sob, as
Awe So, Bucko.

Not true, not true.

See above, re: saying 'Reyn'. Don't forget that is the Anglicized version.

By the way, how old is Pancho?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
colorbook wrote:
I also pronounce it as "rain", but now that I think of it, you probably pronounce it as "wren."

Bingo, we have a wiiinnneerrr!! Laughing

Hi Colorbook! What's cookin'?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Hi to "wren" as well.

Howdy! Nice to see all you nice folks show up to my new thread.

Feel free to pull up a chair and stay awhile!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:09 pm
nas wrote:
hullo

Hello to you, too!

A big welcome to A2K. How'd you find this forum?

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Don't be a stranger..... :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
penultimate

Oooh's that a big word. I'd better pull out my dictionary..... Laughing

Quote:
So, is Reyn like Rhine?

wren, wren, wren, wren...... Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:13 pm
I'm curious why you wouldn't want to go back to Holland. Other than the sort of mmmm cheesy scent of the milk, I think it's one of the more wonderful places to visit. I have very fond memories of my visits there in my teens.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:13 pm
<pulls in barcalounger, and cracks open a beer...>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:16 pm
Pancho is really named Pacco, which is italian for PACKAGE, as to be distinguished from spanish nickname, Paco, for (I never remember, is it Enrique?

I think Pancho is nickname for Francisco (in ital, francesco).

I named pacco as package, after giving up naming him 'bocce', since bocce turned out to be feminine and he isn't .

His full nonkennel club name since he isn't a member is Pacco Dono, my coining for the words, gift package in italian.

However, since I am only an italian language learner, late in life at that, I will cheerfully admit that italians probably don't say gift package as 'pacco dono'.

But, I don't care.
0 Replies