Chat With Reyn

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:00 pm
Hi, and welcome to "Chat With Reyn"!

I want you all to know that the main inspiration for starting this thread needs to be properly credited to 'osso' when she said to me recently:
ossobuco wrote:
I am hoping, Reyn, while trying not to be presumptuous, that when you do retire, you relax a bit and let some people into your daily life in your location. Not that you need to be mr. personality, but to reach out a bit.

Well, I can't promise to do this in person all the time, but, I thought to myself, why not start right here at home at A2K and reach out more? Give the good folks here the opportunity to let them know what the real Reyn is like. :wink:

So, anybody who cares to, please pull up a chair and ask me about myself. Or, we can just discuss whatever. I'll try to give a somewhat coherent opinion on something, or we can just talk about the weather, pets, family, etc. All the while, everybody gets to know who I am.

Just one thing. Please make sure to shut off that cell phone, okay? Mad

You get the idea. Hopefully, I just won't end up just talking to myself. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 52,582 • Replies: 1,601
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:14 pm
Well. . . Oh, somebody else start it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:23 pm
Okay, but I'm not much for chatting. Let me think of a topic .....

Retirement ... You are retiring when? And from what vocation?

(Yeah, yeah ... I know the answers to both of these questions, but this might be a good way to get the chat going ... talking about something we both know a bit about. :wink: )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
What are some of your favorite topics? Which books do you like?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:35 pm
roger wrote:
Well. . . Oh, somebody else start it.

I'm a little shy. I've.... never talked to a rat before. Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:41 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Retirement ... You are retiring when? And from what vocation?

(Yeah, yeah ... I know the answers to both of these questions, but this might be a good way to get the chat going ... talking about something we both know a bit about. :wink: )

Sure, no problem.

Well, I'll be officially retiring 1 May 2006, but the god news is that I have saved up a whole bunch of days off of various kinds, so I'll be able to go on pre-retirement leave starting 30 December 2005. Not bloody long from now!

Basically, I've been working for the same company since 1974. Started off as a meter reader for our provincial utility company. Then, for 13 years, I was an inventory checker in stores (same comp).

Then, customer service phone clerk for 3 months. Big mistake. And finally back to meter reading again in 1993, where I am today again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
What are some of your favorite topics? Which books do you like?

Hmmm, this is a tuffy.

Let start with books.

I haven't been doing a lot of reading for many years now, but when I did, it was non-fiction. A couple of the last books I can remember reading fully was about Nazi Gold (the story of gold stolen from Jews in Switzerland), and about the Cuban missile crisis. Both excellent reads.

Nowadays, I have to confess, I do most of my reading on the internet. I'm a real "news junky".

Favourite topics, in no particular order:
News /current events
History
Unusual human interest stories (I bet nobody figured this out)
Cats
Biographies
The story about various inventions
Chess (although I'm not active at this moment)
Family
Retirement stories from others
Reading about others' experiences with life
TV & movies

Probably more, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank at the moment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:55 pm
How is your wife? How did you meet?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:58 pm
I was in the Navy during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We stood by and I confess to being nervous about sinking that Russian ship. Fortunately, they didn't need to.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:59 pm
checking in
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:07 pm
Checking in, and smilin'.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
Lash wrote:
How is your wife? How did you meet?

She's good. She's 7 years younger than myself. We met through a dating service.

Be glad to elaborate later, but she's waiting patiently for me to get off this thing. Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:22 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I was in the Navy during the Cuban Missile Crisis. We stood by and I confess to being nervous about sinking that Russian ship. Fortunately, they didn't need to.

Wow! I bet you have lots of stories to tell!

We'll pick this up tomorrow. Gotta sign off for tonight.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:23 pm
'Husk' and 'osso', thanks for checking in. I'm sure we'll be chattin' later... :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:16 am
Reyn, do you do collages/montages? <smile>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:43 am
Hi Reyn.....unusual name. Is it short for Renoir, Renard, or Reynold?

I like the various bits and pieces you find on the net. Maybe you should start your very own magazine on A2K. Sports section, current affairs, lots of pretty swimwear pictures, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
> sits down<
Hiyya! how are ya?

(( ringggg-rriinngggg))

Oops.. I - er- i need to take this call

> races out to answer cell phone <
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
Letty wrote:
Reyn, do you do collages/montages? <smile>

Well, as many probably know I'm involved with the A2K Avatars project. It's my way of helping to make this place more of a community.

In the future, when I get a digital camera, I may very well get back to making montages.

Thanks for asking. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
sooo.... back to your wife. what was the whole story?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:14 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Hi Reyn.....unusual name. Is it short for Renoir, Renard, or Reynold?

I like the various bits and pieces you find on the net. Maybe you should start your very own magazine on A2K. Sports section, current affairs, lots of pretty swimwear pictures, that sort of thing.

Hello there! In Dutch, the full version of my name is actually 'Reinout' and in German it's 'Reinhold'. I was named after my mother's father, as my own father was astranged from his family. That's a story which I will tell one of these days.

I've never really thought of starting a magazine before. Maybe when I'm retired and have lots of time for that sort of thing I can think about it.

I've just changed the parameters of the avatars project, so that will keep me busy for the forseeable future.

Thanks for the idea though.
0 Replies