Chat With Reyn

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 04:53 pm
Some pretty funny stuff seems to happen in the name of the environment / waste management!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:08 pm
I'll just say hi to you two guys. Nothing to really follow-up with, other than I'm sick of snow already after shovelling it this morning.

Hope you're having a good day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:27 pm
I'm a Journeyman Electrician with my TQ / IP and I'm looking for a job with Hydro, or the city, or the GVRD, or the school board, or some such. There is tons of work through my union hall the IBEW local 213, but I would like something more on the clerical / maintenance side of things. Any thoughts?

I'm off sick with ht flu today!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:31 pm
Chumly wrote:
[...] but I would like something more on the clerical / maintenance side of things. Any thoughts?

Hmm, not really.

How exactly do you do clerical electrical work? You mean keeping the paperwork straight on various jobs? Confused

I worked for BC Hydro from 1974 to 2003, and Accenture (part of Hydro contracted to this lot) from there until 2006. I don't know how much Hydro is doing nowadays. It sounds like you don't want to do linework. Other than that, there are meter techs, but I think positions are very limited, so wouldn't hold out for much on that end.

It seems to me that there should be lots of work available for someone with electrical experience. Is the Union not able to advise which way to look for the kind of positions you want?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:03 pm
There's tons of work with the IBEW local 213, but I would not mind being a Hydro Lineman or Meter Tech etc, I've applied for a few Hydro positions. Same union as mine but different local. Can you put in a good word for me?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:00 am
Chumly wrote:
Can you put in a good word for me?

hahahaha, I would doubt anybody would remember me anymore. I'm yesterday's news.

Besides, as I mentioned before, at the time of retirement, I wasn't even Hydro, but Accenture Business Services. Still bitter about being "sold off". Would have preferred to have retired with a Hydro pension, but that's my lot.

All I can say is keep trying. There should be a lot of folks retiring in the next few years. Aging workforce, and all that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 06:05 pm
Alrighty, I still have the flu and I'm watching "Corner Gas" on the "Comedy Channel". This episode is about Hank without a hat among other frivolities.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 06:45 pm
hi there , you westcoasters !
kind of a damp and blustery day here . warming up overnight and rain and wet snow for the weekend .
it's supposed to turn colder next week when the cold spreads from the prairies AAAGH !
hope you shake off your flu soon , chumley !
and take care of vivienne and the kitties , reyn - and yourself too !
tomorow is the annual company pre-christmas-luncheon for retirees and 25 year people at the local golf and country club - so mrs h can close the kitchen for a day Very Happy
hbg

these are DUTCH CATS !

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040902/040902_catsBirdflu_hLarge.hlarge.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
Hi C, I hope you're feeling relaxed with your "time off". :wink: Been there, done that!

Hi H, Sounds like a nice get together. There are threats in the air here for possibly more snow. Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:41 pm
hi , neighbours !
hope you are doing fine on the westcoast . hardly any snow on the ground so far - it's always rained AFTER each snowfall Very Happy
next week we expect the coldwave to come in from the prairies Shocked
reyn : i guess you know where that picture was taken , right ?
so long !
hbg

http://homepage.hamburg.de/ullis-schreibselseite/alkmaar%20kaesmarkt%20tragen.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 09:15 pm
Oh yeah! My folks used to have a similar picture up on the wall.

By the way, I was born in that city.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 01:27 am
Reyn wrote:

I worked for BC Hydro from 1974 to 2003, and Accenture (part of Hydro contracted to this lot) from there until 2006.

Did you know a guy named John Graeme, by any chance? He started out as a lineman and then he and his two sons (Kevin and Kirby) trained to be ???, and his wife Twyla Graeme (worked in Personnel or HR).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:55 am
Mame wrote:
Did you know a guy named John Graeme, by any chance? He started out as a lineman and then he and his two sons (Kevin and Kirby) trained to be ???, and his wife Twyla Graeme (worked in Personnel or HR).

Hmm, not John Graeme, but the name Kirby seems to ring a bell.

I'm betting he was a meter reader. If his mother was Twyla (a name that I seem to remember), it's probable he was "helped" getting his first job at Hydro.

I hope this doesn't offend you, that you're not a friend, or something, but there was a lot of that around in Hydro I seem to remember. Some manager's kid getting a hand up.

Actually, I also remember this still happened in Accenture as well. Some smartass young kid getting his foot in the door because his father had "pull" due to his position.

This sort of thing just happened all too often.

Do I sound a bit put off by it? Yup, because I got there on my own in '74.

I'm glad I'm out of all that crap. I always hated the politics that went on.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
Grrr, had snow here overnight. Not too bad I guess. About 3 inches or so. Cold though. -4 C . Funny thing about it, it's supposed to be around 14 C tomorrow!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:00 am
70 degrees this morning, 78 for the high. Then it's going to get really bad: 50 degrees and clear. Don't think I can handle these cold winters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:08 am
Reyn, I'd invite you and Vivienne to come over and have a cup of tea on the porch but this is what we woke up to

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/32316/2690621600098509452S600x600Q85.jpg

(should I bring those chairs in? :wink: )
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:37 am
edgarblythe wrote:
70 degrees this morning, 78 for the high. Then it's going to get really bad: 50 degrees and clear. Don't think I can handle these cold winters.

Hmm, Edgar, you want to help me shovel this morning? Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:38 am
ehBeth wrote:
Reyn, I'd invite you and Vivienne to come over and have a cup of tea on the porch but this is what we woke up to

Beth, I'll help you shovel as soon as I finish with my lot! Laughing

Don't ya just love it? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:40 am
Reyn, yes, both boys got a helping hand. Kirby later became a fireman in Richmond, and the other boy, Kevin, became some kind of preacher somewhere else. I belive Hydro encouraged nepotism. By the way, Jon worked for BC Gas in the beginning and played on the softball team. Did you?

How much snow do you have? We have about 3" of snow here on Vancouver Island. And it's at it again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:45 am
haha, Would you believe I just sent you a PM on this. I figured maybe I offended you with my rely.

Yup, snowing like crazy here right now. There's about 4 inches now. Supposed to be 14 degrees tomorrow though. So, hopefully short lasted.
0 Replies