Chat With Reyn

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:50 am
Mame wrote:
By the way, Jon worked for BC Gas in the beginning and played on the softball team. Did you?

No, I never did.

Started out in 1974 at 970 Burrard and read meters on Vancouver west side and Burnaby.

Later, worked on the North Shore for a few months. After that, I became an Inventory Checker working for Stores out of Surrey.

My last stint was working as a meter reader again out of the Abbotsford area and my routes were in the Aldergrove area from 244 St to 276 St, and from the border to the river.

You know what? I don't miss it!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:51 am
Not at all, Reyn.

Edit: This was to your hope that I wasn't offended Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:00 pm
Mame, apparently Victoria got a lot of snow? Or is it all over the Island?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 01:40 pm
eastern lake ontario
-----------------------
frezing rain followed by snow followed by some more freezing rain (tonight) , tomorrow rain followed by snow ! YIKES !
didn't have my snowtires on yet and drove VERY GINGERLY :wink:
lots of cars in various ditches - got an appointment for tuesday afternoon to have snowtires mounted - i know , i know , should have had it done in mid-november !
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:31 pm
Hello H, we have had about 6 inches of snow by now. The temperature is supposed to be rising and rain to fall. So, I imagine that it will all turn slushy.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be a high of 14 degrees! Shocked
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:36 pm
hi reyn !
shovelled a bit of snow , probably no more than 2-3 cm .
nasty forecast with freezing rain - i think i'll sleep in tomorrow Very Happy - just like the cat :wink:
hbg

http://www.knitsisters.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/catface.thumbnail.png
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:05 pm
Grrr! Been out for the last 1 1/2 hours shovelling heavy, wet snow. Mad Man I'm tired!

This the accumulation from yesterday and now it's been raining. The high today is supposed to be 13 degrees Celsius, with the low only going down to 11! It's called a "Pineapple Express" when it happen this time of the year.

I've making sure the drains are clear, so all the water flows away. With all the snow melting rapidly in our area, there are some concerns in regards to flooding. We will see.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:17 pm
eastern lake ontario :
had perhaps 1/2 cm of freezing rain overnight . now it's snowing and blowing , about 5-6 cm on the ground , so far fairly fluffy .
i've been out to do a bit of shovelling and will take another crack at it .
will have the snowtires installed tomorrow ; that should get me through the city allright .
i'll be taking the advice from the snoozing cat :wink: !
hbg

http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/~fnarad/Snoozing_cat.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:51 pm
Oooh, I'll take the fluffy snow any day! When it gets wet, it's sooo heavy.

You take care, oldtimer, with that shovelling, okay? :wink: Be safe.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:01 pm
hi , reyn !
this "oldtimer" is taking it easy - always has Laughing !
just hired someone to do the driveway ! it's the first year that we'll have someone doing it for us - i may have to restrain myself so that i won't rush out at the first sign of snow swinging the shovel :wink:
hope things are going well with you and vivienne !
take care !
hbg

i imagine you are familiar with the dutch BARGEDOG . when we are out walking by the lake , we often meet a couple that has three of these gentle dogs - they always want to be petted .

http://www.dogpage.us/puppy-for-sale/0763189723.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:23 pm
Hey, good for you!

Would you believe that it currently (last time I checked was 7pm) is 15 Celsius here? Shocked

All the snow is nearly gone here now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
hi reyn !
you lucky so-and-so :wink:
we'll be up-and-down for a while , but really not bad .
seeing the flooding in the vancouver area , it seems we have no reason to complain - BUT WILL ANYWAY !!!
i was told early on that a bit of grousing is THE CANADIAN WAY to show contentment :wink:
we'll be off to toronto (by train) on friday for the weekend - going to live it up a bit (like staying up until 10 PM Laughing ) and see ebeth .
take care !
hbg

Text Forecast from Environment Canada
Kingston: Issued 3.30 PM EST Tuesday 4 December 2007
Tonight Cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries early this evening. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 9. Wednesday Sunny with cloudy periods. High minus 5. Wednesday night A few clouds. Low minus 12. Thursday A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. High minus 3. Friday Periods of snow. Low minus 7. High minus 2. Saturday Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 4. High zero.

http://www.radelreisen.de/Holland/M%FChlen_Radfahrer.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:02 pm
Hi Reyn:

We had no power for two days and I don't know if they have it yet - I am on the Mainland for a variety of reasons. The snow is all gone on the Island, where I am, anyway.

How's Viv?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:44 pm
Mame wrote:
Hi Reyn:

We had no power for two days and I don't know if they have it yet - I am on the Mainland for a variety of reasons. The snow is all gone on the Island, where I am, anyway.

How's Viv?

Two days? Yuk!! That's awful that it's taking that long. The snow is all but gone here in Abby as well, and I'm sure in most LM communities. Right now, it's 11 degrees here.

------

In regards to Vivienne:
Well, today was her 50th birthday, and for a real treat, she got to go to see the doc today (the one who did the hernia surgery).

The CT scan results were back. The good news is that the hernia repaired area is fully intact. The reason it was appearing that it failed (mis-shapened tummy happening again) was due to fluid retention, and we're talking about a lot of fluid!

Apparently, her body is reacting to the large amount of medical mesh in her abodomin to repair the hernia. As a result, her body is producing lots of fluid to "protect" it.

We're hoping that it will all settle down eventually, but it looks like in January the business will need to be drained away.

Now the not-potentially-so-good news is that the CT scan showed a couple of other potential problems. One, a "large" cyst in her pancreas and "thickening" in her colon. There will be an ultra-sound to do in Jan to check out the cyst thing and the doc will have a close look at the CT scan himself in regards to the colon.

So, now we wait until January to come by.

[sigh]

In the meantime, her birthday is always usually a sad time for her, as her mother died on her birthday back in 2001, as a result of a brain tumour. Well, her father (who's been living in England for the last couple of years) phoned to wish her "all the best" this morning, opened up his trap about it and said some things in a somewhat tactless way, and, well, the tears flowed a bit, of course.

[sigh]

When does "our better year" start? We say that every year. Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 10:31 pm
Aw....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm
littlek wrote:
Aw....

I couldn't have said it better.....or shorter. Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 12:41 pm
sorry to hear those not so cheerful news , reyn !
hoping your "good years" will nevertheless come !
i bet it's tough to be in your situation for both you and vivienne .
all you can really do is to try and make life for the two of you as easy as possible . try to remove any unnecessary stress and enjoy the small things in life that you both can do together .
i know this sounds all a little like living in la-la-land ... unfortunately , i have to tell you : things don't really get any better as you get older - no matter what anybody is trying to tell you !!!
so try to make the best of small things that you both can handle and enjoy .
all the best wishes for you and vivienne !
hmg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 04:03 pm
hamburger wrote:
i bet it's tough to be in your situation for both you and vivienne .
all you can really do is to try and make life for the two of you as easy as possible . try to remove any unnecessary stress and enjoy the small things in life that you both can do together .

Hello H, you have said it exactly!

We're hoping for the best.

Right now, we're concentrating on the next 3 weeks and bring in the new year as best we can.

Thanks for dropping in! Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:34 pm
Quote:
Right now, we're concentrating on the next 3 weeks and bring in the new year as best we can.

if you both can do that , you are both doing the best you can .
as we get older , mrs h and realize how much more we have (and can) depend on each other !
wishing you the very best !!!
(btw. we had a nice sunny day , a bit cool - minus 6 C was the high - but the blue sky and sunshine made it feel much warmer . seeing the deep blue of lake ontario on our drive home from the morning swim really gave us a bit of a lift - and made the breakfast taste particularly good :wink: )
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
hamburger wrote:
[...] as we get older , mrs h and realize how much more we have (and can) depend on each other ! [...]

That's a very nice sentiment!
0 Replies