San Francisco, California

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:40 pm
PDiddie is double checking when they can make it; why don't we wait for him so we have an approximate date to re-announce?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:41 pm
osso, Good idea.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:42 pm
i'm still in and can go with a change of date but i'll be slumming it in the tenderloin.....and it's a long walk from foley's to the hilton ya know...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:29 am
I'm at the tenderloin edge, and so are/were diane and dys and pdiddie, sort of tenderloin adjacent according to the Chronicle map. I like the St. Francis as everybody knows, neat lobby or used to be, and I wonder about some other local places, like the Sir Francis Drake or even the Raddison to just meet. I mentioned my hotel earlier and that's still a possibility but I have no idea right now if that makes sense.

Well, we can pick something when it all gets closer. The Hyatt is a walk but not all that far... she says confidently. (Diane and I walked Forever in New York City.) and the Embarcadero is an area people probably want to see.
How shall I put this, I don't mind walking long on the flats but am a complete wimp on the hills.

Oh, I thought of another restaurant. We'd have to have cars though** - depends on where people are going.. Greens in Fort Mason. http://greensrest.citysearch.com It's in the marina area, right by a long concrete waterfront where people walk dogs by the water and the golden gate bridge is in view. (see a2k Member pictures p3 for osso and pacco on bench there). Greens is a vegetarian restaurant in congenial surroundings w/glass front to the "dining room" and the restaurant ia accompanied by some shops nearby as well. There's a Green's cookbook out. It wasn't horribly expensive but not nothing - I am remembering $10. for my lunch dish, and wasn't the best food I've ever had, but I liked the surroundings. Aaaack. There are hundreds of places to meet and eat in SF.

We'll have to figure out if people will want to do some things together - maybe people will want to split up and meet for pre-dinner/dinner. CI has already suggested some tours. And I want to write up a possible list of places people might be interested in.

I probably want to go to some art galleries, but I may stay longer than others and do that on another day.

On food and drinks, what a selection SF has. Some people like to drink beer and others tea and others wine or booze, and some will want to eat this and that. Some of us can't hear if it's noisy and like to walk a lot and others might not.

Cjhsa has already mentioned some cafes on this thread and I know some.

Ah, and then there was a good place I've been to just to have a morning dolce in North Beach. Lots of tables, good pastry.. (ahem).
Long walk though.

** - I see there is a bus, #28, but from where? Maps, maps, we need maps.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:18 am
I'm still on the 'hoping to go' list. I won't be able to book any time until the New Year, so I had just been browsing the hotel and airline sites. A little later would be fine for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:04 pm
Great, ehBeth!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:29 pm
Yay, ehBeth!! Like, osso, I really need fairly quiet places because of a slight hearing loss. Love walking and would probably want to do one or two tours, but mostly, Bob (dys) and I would like to have time to just sit and visit--getting to know all you great people better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:37 pm
Hmmm, I've heard of this really great thrift shop...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:15 pm
Don't tease!!! TELL.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 01:38 pm
I have to check. One of our artists who lives in the bay area buys all her children's clothes there..
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:29 pm
While we cannot change our travel schedule, the Diddies will be in the Bay Area from Thursday, 4/1/04 (evening) through Sunday 4/11/04 (morning).

I hope that can accomodate everyone (it's really all I can do, fortunately or unfortunately).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:36 pm
So then could we do it the weekend of April 9(Friday)- 10 - 11th? CI, when do you fall off the plane from Japan? I am predicting the 6th or 7th...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
Hmm, did Ehbeth tell us when Easter was, long ago in this thread? Not a problem for me, but might be for some.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:37 pm
PDiddle, Since I'll be available from April 7, your schedule looks good. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:39 pm
osso, We leave Japan on April 5, but with the international dateline, we arrive home on the same day. Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
Looking in to say howdy.

Hello, everybody.

My computer was broke, but now it's fixed again.
Good to see you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:28 pm
Hi, McTag!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 04:03 pm
The eleventh IS Easter but I like April 9-10-11 regardless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:07 pm
Oh, good, jjorge. You know SF, don't you? Do you have any favorite places?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 05:35 pm
Making a note of the window of opportunity. I'm keeping an eagle eye out for the holiday and vacation schedules at work. I'm going to try to nab it as soon as I can. I have to check with my 'buddy', to make sure he has nothing planned around then.
0 Replies