San Francisco, California

chatoyant

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 02:48 pm
After reading about the London and Florida gatherings, I'm thinking seriously about going to this one. It's about an 8-hour drive for me. My life is kind of up-in-the-air right now, but hopefully in a year, I'll be heading in some specific direction. I'll be keeping tabs on this.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 02:58 pm
PD -- Cool though, very cool photo... I don't mind a digression into bridges. Isn't there an amazing bridge running from one part of Denmark to the other, also considered an engineering marvel?

Chatoyant -- All right -- let's see, I think that direction would be due west!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 03:01 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 03:39 pm
Yeah, the other bridge takes you from the mainland out to Copenhagen's island -- memory is fuzzy on names here -- and it's very impress. Took about 20 minutes to cross, if I remember right. The bridge to Sweden wasn't finished when I was there, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 04:05 pm
I was there so long ago, we had to take the ferry from Denmark to Sweden. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 11:51 pm
I plan to be there for any get together. Worry a little about the date, as we have our gallery openings at the first sat evening of the month, and I don't know when that falls re the date.

The drive to SF from where I live is about five hours and beautiful. I suppose we need to stay in the city. I stayed two years ago at the Galleria Park hotel, one of SF's renovated oldies...at 109 a night for a single. Long story how that happened, but it was a place of relief and respite, and only a couple of blocks from Union Square. Actually, I typed the story here but lost it, my computer cursor froze and I had to shut down and reup, and here I am again, sans the story.

I really loved the location, and doubt we could find a lot better.

On the other hand, I stayed in Inverness in Marin County, near Point Reyes, last summer, a glorious place, and that was cheaper, since I stayed in a quite tacky-wonderful hotel there by the name of the Golden Hinde. A friend and I, he from another city, shared a suite including kitchen, for $144. a night.

Point Reyes is out toward the ocean from Petaluma...one absolutely gorgeous drive. And the tacky/ok motel is right on an inlet waterway....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:22 am
On the other hand of the other hand, when my business partner and I go to SF from our town 300 miles north - for example to the shipping yard of Au Pottery in Oakland, or to a supplier of ironwork in Petaluma...we stay either at Day's Inn in Rohnert Park (around 37.00 a night for two queen beds) or a Travel Lodge type place near by, which is less, but, y'know, less.

This would only work if people rented cars...and one of the beauties of San Francisco is that you can take city transport. M'self, I like that Galleria Park, or one of the many other renovated oldie hotels. I think Beresford Arms (or some name like that) is another one. I think they are all pretty well located and run around a hundred a night...which sounds like a lot of money until you check what it costs to stay in the great hotels.

Hmm, you want me to check what it costs to stay in the great hotels?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 12:27 am
And, I am one that picked between, what was it, 19 and 99 crossings of the Golden Gate. God I love that bridge. Especially in fog. Love it, love it, love it.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:43 am
Well well,you folks have gotten around to my neck of the woods.
Piffka and PD,some GREAT bridges here.
The Danish Swedish construction isn´t one entire bridge though.There´s a long tunneled stretch before the bridge starts from an artificial island in the sound.Amazing nevertheless and I can see the monster from the window here. www.oeresundsbron.dk there´s some aerial photos in there somewhere.

The bridge in Denmark connects Fyn to Sjælland,not the mainland.
Have fun with the atlas folks.
I´m looking forward to crossing it in a convertible E Type Jaguar.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 08:32 am
(oops! missed getting on that first island somehow. can you fergive me as i'd been without a bed to sleep in for two weeks' previous, hebba?)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:01 am
As long as we're talking about bridges, check out the confederation bridge between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island Canada. It is 12.9 kilometers long (about 7 3/4 miles)

http://www.confederationbridge.com/en/more/video/index.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:22 am
If we can establish a date soon enough, maybe we can make reservations at the San Francisco Culinary Academy. They may already be booked up, but we can try. Went there many years ago with our friends, and saw Diane Feinstein there. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:27 am
Diane would be enough to ruin my dinner, even without her politics.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:37 am
C.I. et al

If I may be permitted just one more 'bridge digression':

Boston is very proud of the striking new Leonard Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/090/metro/Zakim_Bridge_An_instant_icon+.shtml
http://www.bigdig.com/thtml/images/event02.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:39 am
http://www.oeresundsbron.com/db/images/imgSCaWTD.gif

Very interesting!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:43 am
http://www.confederationbridge.com/img/accueil.jpg

This one reminds me of the Florida Keys!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:46 am
http://cache.boston.com/traffic/bigdig/galleries/bridge/intro1.jpg

The Zakim Bridge over the Charles River in Boston... it is gorgeous! I love the blue-lit cables -- really striking!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:51 am
CI -- What an excellent idea... here's the website for the restaurants and, funny enough, there is a great photo of the Golden Gate Bridge...

SF Culinary School Restaurants website with best photo yet of the Golden Gate!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:18 am
Piffka, Thanks for the link. We'll need to remember it's on page 6 if anything comes of it. c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:09 pm
Anything comes of it???

Oh, ye of little faith!
0 Replies