San Francisco, California

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:27 am
The City by the Bay where I Left My Heart...

C.I. says he'd like to have a three-continent group of folks get together here next Spring. We're wondering about the place and would love to have you tell us all about San Francisco and its surrounds.

How many times have YOU been across the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 29,924 • Replies: 447
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:47 am
San Francisco has so much to offer and is so beautiful. These are three of my favorites places in the city: Muir Woods, China Town, and Japan Town
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:14 am
Do you know what the Embacadero is?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:16 am
Oh... I forgot to say... THANKS, Joanne!!! ...for posting those three links!

Muir Woods is across the GG Bridge, right? On the north side?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:23 am
The Embarcadero is the San Francisco waterfront area very fun and great sea food.

San Francisco The Embarcadero
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:50 am
Piffka, Chinatown may be off the tourist track for now, because of the SARS scare. It's unfortunate, but today's San Jose Mercury News has an article about how Chinatowns and Chinese restaurants are losing business from this new disease. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:57 am
It's more than 20 years since I was last in San Francisco. I love the place, having been there a few times. It has character, color, great people and is simply a fun city to visit. Downtown, Chinatown, The Gardens, Waterfront, all kinds of thing. I wonder if my heart is still in the lost and found
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:43 pm
oak, Are you ready for a revisit to the City by the Bay on our next A2K Three Continent Gathering next year? c.i.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:55 pm
CI -- I've heard that fewer people are going out for Chinese food. It must be worrisome to those who earn their living in those restaurants and stores. Have there been SARS outbreaks in S.F.?

OAK -- Is this tempting you???

JD -- Thanks for another good link!

I'd love to get a lot of handy links for San Francisco. Here's one for the weather... don't know if this is the best.

Wunderground Weather for SF
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:57 pm
Hi all,
I visited SF for the first time last Fall. I stayed w. my brother David and his family for two days and three nights. Because we spent so much time gabbing and catching up, and because my bro and his wife have two pre-schoolers, we only got out and about a little bit. Nevertheless, I saw and did enough to realize what a great city it is to visit.

I'm not sure if competing plans will allow me to go to SF this year but if you have a gathering I'll give it some serious thought.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:00 pm
Oh! I just re-read this . . . NEXT SPRING . . . that might be do-able for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:05 pm
jjorge, Good! Jot it on your calendar. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
jjorge, Good! Jot it on your calendar. Wink c.i.

I will C.I. Were you thinking of April?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:24 pm
Tourist Map
Jjorge -- Great idea!

Simple Tourist Map... I mean, a simple map for Tourists! :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:27 pm
Piffca ---- I've been promising myself another visit to SF for a long time. It's my favorite city in the USA. I am seriously considering spending my daughters inheritance, just so I can save her worrying about how to spend it.
The first time I went ti SF, I had just ridden a night buss up from LA, arriving on a Saturday morning at about 9am. I could see it was magic. I think I'd better put Jefferson Airplane on and chill out.

CI, if I can get my act together, I am in serious contention
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 01:53 pm
OAK - Excellent idea -- here's more to tempt you...

Jefferson Airplane Website -- Links to songs

San Francisco Street Fairs
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 02:22 pm
Ah, SF is a lovely city. Went there on the tail-end of our honeymoon, plus I was there to audit (well, I was in Oakland, but the CPA and I went to SF for dinner and stuff). Oh, and I went with a female friend a couple of years ago, when I had an enormous amount of vacation time and frequent flyer miles to burn, and Mr. Jespah had no vacation time.

SF is fun but it's an expensive place. Hard to find decent lodging and food for cheap unless you're willing to sacrifice safety and taste, respectively. It's not impossible, but it isn't an easy task.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 02:48 pm
The first time I went to SF, I stayed at a Travel Lodge motel in Oakland and rode the Subway into SF.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 02:58 pm
jespah, With the tourism industry down on their luck, some good, respectable lodgings can be had a "reasonable" prices. Just go to <<www.hotel.com>>. Bet you can find some real bargains. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 02:59 pm
BTW, jespah, San Francisco prices are pretty good compared to London. I paid US$5 (or 2.99 shillings) for a cup of coffee and donut. Bet you can find it in SF for almost half that! Wink c.i.
0 Replies