San Francisco, California

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:46 pm
Woman, with 29 friends, now known as Ossobuco...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:50 pm
Osso, she sounds great! Love to meet her.

Mckenzie, thanks for the link. This is something to think about. The prices are on par with many hotels and, for many of apartments, there is free parking, which is from $20.00 up at hotels.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:57 pm
OK, if it turns out my room is central headquarters, which is ok with me, there would be some rules, like I get the place to myself between x and y.

This idea may be superceded but is comfortable for me.

Anyone remember my meandering about eating breakfast at the St. Francis?

I had a car breakdown in ... the really dreaded summer of 2001, at 19th and Ocean, in SF. I left the #### car at the gas station (there aren't any Volvo dealers nearer than the Moon) for the weekend and took a taxi in the dark (adventure for me, I am nightblind) to the Galleria Park Hotel, which a friend did the elevators of (friend's husband = engineer = elevator company), so I remembered the name for the taxi driver. The good news was I had the money in my wallet to pay the fare, unusual in itself, just because I was on a Trip.

Whiled away the weekend walking downtown. Bought one thing, a pair of light pink satin chinese slippers.

Ate breakfast at the St. Francis. Swear it was under ten dollars and I was among the five people in the room. Totally comfortable.

mmmmmm, not far from the Savoy. or similar places.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2003 10:24 am
osso, It would be great if somebody else stays at the Savoy during our gathering dates. A central location would make it convenient for the participants, and people will have the freedom to go in-and-out at will. Any volunteers out there? **Please invite your girlfriend. Most of us are looking forward to meeting her and her participation.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:55 am
c.i., I will probably arrive a week early and leave a week later. Many friend's to visit in South Bay, SF, Marin, and Berzkeley.

Actuall if you want we could get together early in
San Jose as I will be staying with firends in Cupertino.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 05:28 am
This sounds good.
I will read back more.
I'm stuck in damp & wintry England, Europe.
Actually it's sunny today and I've just had a bath (is there an "R" in the month?) so I'm feeling better than James Brown.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:12 am
JD, We live in Sunnyvale, only a hop and a skip from San Jose. Let's make a "date" to meet. There are many great restaruants in our area, so meeting places will not be a problem. You'll also get a chance to meet my wife.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:42 pm
Sounds good c.i. when the time gets close I will PM you and you can send me your phone number. This gather is going to be great.

For me seeing the Hige Sierra, the valley and all is a real thrill. I will probably take the I40 but could do the I10 and start in San Diego, nah, I will start in the north and move south.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 10:59 am
Hooray!!! Dys and I found a small (96 rooms) hotel for only $79.00 a night with parking for $16.00--the York Hotel, 940 Sutter St.
It has a coffee maker in the room, so we don't have to spend a fortune on breakfast.

Here is a description:

Quote:
European Style Hotel built in 1925 is rich with History. Bright sun lit Lobby in a pale terra-cotta hue. Corinthian Columns and Marbled floor. In addition to the hotel's superb location, guests enjoy all the amenities of home. Spacious and elegant accommodations, thoughtful amenities and a friendly staff to serve your every need.

Our reservations are from the 2nd-5th. We wanted one day with Osso, so we're coming a day late.

McTag, please come. I think c.i. is the only one who has had the pleasure of meeting you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:19 am
If McTag comes, we would also like to see Fiona. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 11:55 am
Yeah, Diane and Dys.... I think that is only 4 blocks away from the Savoy....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 12:07 pm
Whatever you do, don't miss the Bush Man:

http://www.anvari.org/db/photos/200305c/Bush_Man_2.jpg
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:12 pm
We're booked into the King George for April 2-9.

Our plans call for a flight into Oakland on SWA and renting a car there.

This sitehas some excellent tour options at what looks to me like reasonable prices.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:49 pm
Nice to hear all the updates on reservations; I'm really getting excited now. I talked to my brother-in-law yesterday about staying over at his place, and he said "okay." Things are really building up for our A2K San Francisco Gathering. I hope more people chime in about their dates and reservations. I'm going to start making up a 'hard' list of people that's going to attend, and perhaps develop a simple "program" of events with some background on our attendees. How about it? I'm willing to do the "work." c.i.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:04 pm
Will you welcome last minute crashers from Lala land? Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:08 pm
Absolutely, especially oldie LaLa Osso. Personally, I call it Lah, though no one else on earth does. I would dearly love to meet you, Fealola!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:09 pm
Absolutely, especially oldie LaLa Osso. Personally, I call it Lah, though no one else on earth does. I would dearly love to meet you, Fealola!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:12 pm
Well, we'll see... I have this problem and a confession to make. I'm a complete A2K closet case. No one knows about this but me and you guys! How do I explain to my 2 teenage sons I'm going to meet people I met on the internet! Laughing Laughing

(although they would love it if I did something fun for myself!) This could happen. My 17 year old is on spring break then and wants to go see his sweetie up there. So, who knows. Got to think of a plan!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:30 pm
Fealola,
It is not all so weird meeting friends from a forum like this online, in my experience. I met Piffka and Seattlefriend and PeaceandLove when I went through Seattle (on purpose, to see them, plus I had never been to Seattle, but that was waaay second) on my way to and from my aunt's memorial
service in Idaho a year and a half ago. And then this last June, I went via Seattle when I went to NY city to see the museums (for the first time in decades) and visited P and SF again (they could still stand the sight of me) and in NY, met with Diane and Roberta and a few other online friends. These people are now very dear to me, and I liked them to start with.

I want to go back to New York. There are people at a2k who live in/near there that I like a lot and missed meeting, plus I want to see my pals again, plus, I want to spend more time in New York. (Send money to...)

You might think I have no friends in real life... hah, not so.
But I am if anything more secure with my online friends, that they can take whatever I might say and talk right back to me... a certain comfort level. Meeting is a little strange, you know them but you don't. But that passes.

I think your sons might get a kick out of your meeting us.

Yaaay, Pdiddie.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:38 pm
I'm not afraid or weirded out, but when you have kids that were raised in the Instant Messenger and Internet culture, all they've heard all their live is be careful! But I'm cool with it in this case. I think I can figure out a way if it comes to that.

I think it would be a lot of fun!

The only time I've metioned it was when I got a recipe idea from Cav which Mr. F. loved! I told Mr. F. that I found a place where you can communicate with a real chef and get ideas! I called him "My friend the Chef"! Laughing Laughing So, I could probably ease into it that way!.
0 Replies