Is the Politics Forum Winding Down?

Lash

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:18 pm
roger wrote:
msolga wrote:
. . . Off course there have been some excellent US political threads as well. But fewer & further between, of late.

Maybe it is that excellence Georgeob was referring to in the opening post. The quarreling, obviously, is here to stay.

Very Happy
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
As this thread progresses, it is obvious its title should have been about American politics winding down. After all we in the good ole USA only have "I'm right and you're wrong" to argue about with only 2 parties. You dang furriners with your Greens and Democratic left and Communists and blues and what have you are just too nuanced for us that are just plain right all the time. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
Lol!

Well, it seems the Germans and Dutch have more nuance than anyone!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
No. We don't even have a blue party. The Austrians have a blue party, which is the equivalent of our yellow party, which is the liberal party, even though the Austrian party is really extreme right and the German liberal party is not that far right, even though it is in no way in the middle between black and red as Thomas might claim, even though it is in some aspects as far left as the Greens are. But then, the Greens are becoming more and more red these days, not the new red, mind you, but the old red, which is barely distinguishable from the black. No, no, no, politics ain't no more what it has been, back then we was young.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 12:57 am
I don't think politics is winding down. I just think the right wingers on this site are reluctant to put up a good debate because they know they're wrong. So what's the point in posting about politics if everyone agrees with you?

It's a sign that most of the Republicans are moving over to the left, and we're going to clean house in 2006.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
dlowan wrote:

Hiya bunny! I think ate your brother for dinner last night. (How's that for nuance? Razz)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:33 am
What I said: well-to-do-party - while only very few normal German family get a rabbit - if, perhaps at Christmas - those like Thomas can import Australian wabbits for eating them as a light Saturday night snack.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:43 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Hiya bunny! I think ate your brother for dinner last night. (How's that for nuance? Razz)

I believe you will find that listed under oral sadism, not nuance.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:22 am
I just loved Deb's observation on our tendency to posit some lost earlier golden age. For whatever set of reasons, this is a nearly ubiquitous element in our social mythologies. One can sit down with a group of Masons or any housing-project strata council or even many families, then push this button, and watch nearly everyone join in the chorus on 'how good it was at the beginning'. I'm guilty. The things I could tell you about that autumn afternoon with Heather behind the highschool backstop...

A concentration on American politics (and related social/nationalist mythologies) ought not to be considered out of place or unbalanced, not merely because of the membership roles of a2k but more importantly because of the consequences to the whole world of American policy and activity. I suspect there has been rather more discussion here regarding European politics than there has been regarding Canadian politics. As a Canadian, I don't feel left out or somehow less important from this weighting of subject importance.

But I suspect that where frustration occurs in our political discussions, it is not so much that the content steers inevitably towards the state which heads up a now uni-polar world - and does so quite agressively and consequentially - but rather we get frustrated because of the apparent solidity of viewpoint (much delusional, much else not) inherent in how that state's population has come to think about itself and about its place in the world.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:37 am
old europe wrote:
No. We don't even have a blue party. The Austrians have a blue party, which is the equivalent of our yellow party, which is the liberal party, even though the Austrian party is really extreme right and the German liberal party is not that far right, even though it is in no way in the middle between black and red as Thomas might claim, even though it is in some aspects as far left as the Greens are. But then, the Greens are becoming more and more red these days, not the new red, mind you, but the old red, which is barely distinguishable from the black. No, no, no, politics ain't no more what it has been, back then we was young.

I started to read this and my eyes rolled back in my head and I collapsed on the floor. More than two choices is just too much for any good ole 'merican. Heck, ONE CHOICE should be enough and everyone should think just like me so we can all be united. :wink:

I went to Paris once and can't understand why the French don't have sense enough to speak English....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:30 pm
I"m finding the EU vs Turkey thread fascinating and hope it continues.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:39 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

and you knew it was the bunny's brother because ... ?

Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
(We all look alike to some people.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:06 am
J_B wrote:
I"m finding the EU vs Turkey thread fascinating and hope it continues.

Missed that - could you give me a link?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:15 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60609&highlight=
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:22 am
Oh, I'm on that one Embarrassed
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
old europe wrote:

Re-reading and LOL'ing...
0 Replies