Is the Politics Forum Winding Down?

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:49 pm
It appears to me that the Politics forum is winding down to a slow demise. Everything has been said - in some cases ad nauseum. Regular contributors are dropping out or posting less frequently. New topics appear at a much reduced rate, and few attract the spirited engagement of previous times.

To what degree is this a result of a weariness among the ten or fifteen posters who keep most of it going, or, alternatively, the exhaustion of the public issues before us?

It has been a good ride - but nothing is forever.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,351 • Replies: 96
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:05 am
I think the political landscape itself is winding down, and has been since the election.

I don't visit A2K enough to have noticed any change in the political forum's activity, but I do notice that there's really not any huge political issues on the level of 9/11, Iraq or elections and in at least my case it means I'm less compelled to spend time discussing politics.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:37 am
I can only speak for myself - jeepers that's a bit obvious on the re-read but I'll leave it in anyway.

I am always happy to post in politics but of late I've been reticent to do so for a couple of reasons. This is primarily a US-based forum and much of the politics is US-based. I have dived into those discussions now and again but primarily in issues surrounding Iraq which for mine is a foreign policy issue in the US and fair game for a ferriner like me to comment on. Lately though Hurricane Katrina has been driving the politics forums and, rightly or wrongly, I decided that was very much a domestic issue and perhaps I would leave it alone. Just my view.

As the "normal" issues come back I will hop in for a comment or two.

I mean surely someone is going to post on Tom DeLay?

Bottom line - the politics forums will roll on as politics continues to exist.

Of course if Bush et al trash the Constitution and you lose your right to free speech when the fascists take over, the politics forums will probably have to go or poor Craven may end up in the federal slammer. When that happens I shall not post in politics as I wouldn't want to be extradited from my country to the US to face fascist justice in the Bush Courts.

There, that should kick politics along

:wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:52 am
I think you will find a slammer here before you do there.

That would be funny - slammer to slammee.....
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:57 am
thought makes me shiver.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 03:10 am
And clench?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 05:43 am
georgebob-

Come on then.Let's see a bit of spirited engagement from you.It doesn't matter what issue you choose-I can argue with anything reasonable or otherwise.

A suggestion-To what extent do Republican/Democrat lickspittle It is/No it isn't debates castrate political debate.

Or-has America turned into a "Women Wear The Pants" democracy?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:56 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I think the political landscape itself is winding down, and has been since the election.

I don't visit A2K enough to have noticed any change in the political forum's activity, but I do notice that there's really not any huge political issues on the level of 9/11, Iraq or elections and in at least my case it means I'm less compelled to spend time discussing politics.

I would be willing to bet that Air America and the NYTimes, in rationalizing the reasons for their steady decline, is telling themselves the same thing - just nothing interesting happening these days.

Yep. That's gotta be it.

Smile
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
Except that Air America is growing not declining. The New Yoprk Times is doing as well as most papers.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:25 am
Maybe the forum is declining is because half of what is posted here are right-wing lies posted ad nauseum in hopes that by repeating the lies enough times, they will become true. They won't.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
So we have to focus on Air America and New York Times as reasons for what George noticed on A2K's politic threads?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
I hadn't noticed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
That can't be Bush's excuse.

[in reply to jw]
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:18 am
It seems like we have fewer conservatives here than we once had. Am I imagining that?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
Pick your favorite:

It is the slow cycle in politics - elections are over and new ones are a little ways ahead.

We are too familiar with the arguments of the other side and realize there is no basis to find agreement.

We are too familiar with the arguments of posters on the other side and don't see any point in a thread that you could write both sides yourself. [Air America is doing badly. No, it isn't, Yes, it is, just look at my selective statistics. No, look at my selective statistics.]

What is the point of rebutting recycled crap that you have rebutted with facts 10 times or 100 times already? (That brick wall is looking more and more inviting.)

Life has been busy lately trying to fix the screwups of the politicians so no time to to discuss them in virtual reality.

You've realized that the English language is no longer a valid form of communication. (Dictionary? Use a word that is MORE descriptive than less? No way.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:39 am
For starters, winding down from when?

Things were plenty active just a few weeks ago after Katrina.

I think that got more personal and unpleasant than a lot of us were comfortable with, and caused a bit of a retreat, especially when the immediate issues were dealt with.

But as parados says, this stuff waxes and wanes. I don't believe for a minute that everything that can be said has been said -- the subject is too vast, and there are too many new things happening.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:58 am
I think, George, that you have stated a corrolary of an old proverb. On usenet it is called "imminent death of the net predicted", and it's so popular it has its own dictionary entry:

Someone in 'The New Hacker's Dictionary wrote:
Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted!: prov.

[Usenet] Since Usenet first got off the ground in 1980--81, it has grown exponentially, approximately doubling in size every year. On the other hand, most people feel the signal-to-noise ratio of Usenet has dropped steadily. These trends led, as far back as mid-1983, to predictions of the imminent collapse (or death) of the net. Ten years and numerous doublings later, enough of these gloomy prognostications have been confounded that the phrase "Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted!" has become a running joke, hauled out any time someone grumbles about the S/N ratio or the huge and steadily increasing volume, or the possible loss of a key node or link, or the potential for lawsuits when ignoramuses post copyrighted material, etc., etc., etc.

Source

I think something similar is going on in the political threads. On the one hand, I see more and more posters coming in. On the other, it seems almost all the quality posts continue to come from the usual suspects, while the new ones mostly contribute noise. As time goes on, people get familiar with the usual suspects, and can usually predict what the other usual suspects will say, which is boring. But if I browse back to the old political threads, I don't find them that much more engaging as the current ones.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:11 am
Steppenwolf wrote:
It seems like we have fewer conservatives here than we once had. Am I imagining that?

No, you aren't.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:58 pm
Thomas wrote:

I think something similar is going on in the political threads. On the one hand, I see more and more posters coming in. On the other, it seems almost all the quality posts continue to come from the usual suspects, while the new ones mostly contribute noise. As time goes on, people get familiar with the usual suspects, and can usually predict what the other usual suspects will say, which is boring. But if I browse back to the old political threads, I don't find them that much more engaging as the current ones.

Embarrassed <Feeling like a noise-maker>

CoastalRat and I made comments on a thread last week about the circular nature of many of the topics on this board. I agree with your thought above about the predictability with what the usual suspects will say.

There seems to be little discussion, a lot of hyperbole, and little room for give and take.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:05 pm
J_B wrote:
Embarrassed <Feeling like a noise-maker>

Okay -- I hereby declare you a veteran honoris causa. Smile
0 Replies