Cindy Sheehan Busted In Front Of White House.....

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
Really, one must admit that?

Why is that?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
I would say Moore is a heftier Gasbag then Hitchens.

However, I do not supprt Hitchens position POST Saddam. Our military should have left.

I have NO respect for Moore.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
And you must admit that one's a bigger gasbag than the other.

guess you didn't see hitchens on bill maher last weekend.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:03 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
And you must admit that one's a bigger gasbag than the other.

guess you didn't see hitchens on bill maher last weekend.

Just an excerpt (I can't watch much of Maher without getting physically ill) ... and primarily to watch Maher showing the pictures of Laura Bush with black eyes -- as if George punched her because he's been hitting the bottle. More gasps than laughs from his audience.

Anyway, I know Hitchens is no lightweight, but are you seriously trying to tell me he's bigger than Moore? Moore could be used to fix the breeched levees in New Orleans, for heavens sake.

For when I say "bigger," I'm talking mass, my friend.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
You sure do get hung up on the superficial.

Michael Moore is fat, obese, humongous...but when it comes to who is the bigger bag of wind, its a tie. Enough already.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:30 pm
revel wrote:
You sure do get hung up on the superficial.

Michael Moore is fat, obese, humongous...but when it comes to who is the bigger bag of wind, its a tie. Enough already.

Laughing

yes, mam...

and you best listen too, tico. country girls have a mean right. Laughing
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:29 pm
While I have no problem with Cindy Sheehan or any of the anti-war protesters in general,I do have a problem with them claiming to speak for those who either are or have been there.

Most of the soldiers in Iraq now (at least those I personally know) support what we are doing there,and want to finish the job.
Those of us that have actually been there know the good that is being done,the good results we are achieving.
Now,most of the media wont report that,for their own reasons,but when I and my fellow soldiers get called terrorists and criminals by the anti-war crowd,it does make me wonder just whose side they are on.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:49 am
mysteryman wrote:
While I have no problem with Cindy Sheehan or any of the anti-war protesters in general,I do have a problem with them claiming to speak for those who either are or have been there.

Most of the soldiers in Iraq now (at least those I personally know) support what we are doing there,and want to finish the job.
Those of us that have actually been there know the good that is being done,the good results we are achieving.
Now,most of the media wont report that,for their own reasons,but when I and my fellow soldiers get called terrorists and criminals by the anti-war crowd,it does make me wonder just whose side they are on.

well mystery, every oak has a few nuts.

at least i think that's the tree with the acorns. been a s**t long time since i've seen anything but palms, so it's hard to remember.

bummer...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:54 am
mysteryman wrote:

Well...as someone who opposes this contrived, unnecessary war...I can tell you that I can oppose it without thinking that any of our fighting service men and women are terrorists and criminals...

...and quite honestly, I do not personally know of any other opponents of the war who do think that. I am not saying there are not the occasional nut case who does...I am saying that I personally do not know of any...and I strongly SUSPECT there are so few, it really doesn't make sense to even bring this facet of the situtation up.

I thank you...and all the military people who serve.

But I oppose this war. It is my opinion that we will not come anywhere close to "winning" it...and it is my further opinion that the result of handling things this way will result in a greater negative for our country and the world than if we had done it without the invasion.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:40 am
mysteryman wrote:

She speaks as a mother who has lost a son.

Are you trying to say that the attitude of the Chief Executive should be "Hey, it's your son who died, not you, so shut up"?

That seems to be your premeise.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 05:07 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Are you trying to say that the attitude of the Chief Executive should be "Hey, it's your son who died, not you, so shut up"?

No,I'm not saying that at all.
But,her son died on April 4,2004.
I personally think she has moved beyond grief to grandstanding.
She has every right to do that,but she has no right to claim to speak for the family members of others that died.
She has no right to say that she speaks for all grieving parents,nor does she have any right to speak for me.

Nobody that has lost loved ones in Iraq will ever get over the grief,but there comes a time when you must let go and move on.

I think she has refused to see that,and is no longer grieving.
She just likes seeing her name in the press,plus all of the people wineing and dining her.
She just seems to crave the attention.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
possibly, mm.

couldn't it be she just believes in what she's doing ?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
mysteryman wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

No,I'm not saying that at all.
But,her son died on April 4,2004.
I personally think she has moved beyond grief to grandstanding.
She has every right to do that,but she has no right to claim to speak for the family members of others that died.
She has no right to say that she speaks for all grieving parents,nor does she have any right to speak for me.

Nobody that has lost loved ones in Iraq will ever get over the grief,but there comes a time when you must let go and move on.

I think she has refused to see that,and is no longer grieving.
She just likes seeing her name in the press,plus all of the people wineing and dining her.
She just seems to crave the attention.

and what gives you the right to dictate who she can speak for other than yourself?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm
mysteryman wrote:
....she has no right to claim to speak for the family members of others that died.
She has no right to say that she speaks for all grieving parents...

She lost her son in Iraq. Please tell me exactly what the Iraq supporters think she has the right to speak for. Because all I ever her them do is complain every time Cindy speaks out on anything.

Fact is, Mysteryman, a person who has lost a loved one from something does have the right to speak out on the issue, and to be actively involved in trying to change things.

That is why you see many charities and lobbying groups for various diseases trying to lobby Congress to spend more money on one affliction or the other, and to make TV spots raising awareness about the condition. Most of these groups are families of people who have died from the disease, often years ago. This is considered normal.

Yet when a mother who lost a son to an Iraq policy raises her voice about that policy, suddenly she is supposedly over the line.

Nonsense. Cindy is doing just what grieving parents usually do-channel their grief into trying to change things. Whether it is a disease, a social condition, or a policy, it is all the same thing.

The complaints about Cindy about overstepping are merely the weak responses from those refuse to recognize that she has struck a nerve with much of the American public, and her opponents have no effective answer.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 03:36 am
kelticwizard wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
....she has no right to claim to speak for the family members of others that died.
She has no right to say that she speaks for all grieving parents...

She lost her son in Iraq. Please tell me exactly what the Iraq supporters think she has the right to speak for. Because all I ever her them do is complain every time Cindy speaks out on anything.

Fact is, Mysteryman, a person who has lost a loved one from something does have the right to speak out on the issue, and to be actively involved in trying to change things.

That is why you see many charities and lobbying groups for various diseases trying to lobby Congress to spend more money on one affliction or the other, and to make TV spots raising awareness about the condition. Most of these groups are families of people who have died from the disease, often years ago. This is considered normal.

Yet when a mother who lost a son to an Iraq policy raises her voice about that policy, suddenly she is supposedly over the line.

Nonsense. Cindy is doing just what grieving parents usually do-channel their grief into trying to change things. Whether it is a disease, a social condition, or a policy, it is all the same thing.

The complaints about Cindy about overstepping are merely the weak responses from those refuse to recognize that she has struck a nerve with much of the American public, and her opponents have no effective answer.

Amen!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:08 am
hm, i don't like extremes on either side. both hitchens and moore give me goosebumps. anybody who is willing to spin tales to foster paranoia and conspiracy theories is lost in my books. that goes for both, too.
i happened to be there when those 'peaceniks' came to Eastern Europe to 'talk about peace' before the wall fell. perhaps he has no clue how important and meaningful that was at the time. and the trotskyite connection? puhleease. funny how he doesn't cite one source. he just knows. ah, must be grand to be a righteous genius.
and cindy sheehan? personally i don't like her. but to call all antiwar protesters that were there wacko, is a tad extreme, don't you think? if 50% of americans think Bush is wacko (or any percentage for that matter), but they don't do anything against him, they remain obedient citizens, are all of them wacko? or if i enrolled in Boston University, whose President was a wacko that I despised, am I now wacko, too? How does this work exactly?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 10:36 am
My buddy spent the weekend of the protest in D.C. with Nam vets from the 1st Airborne. They went out on the town at night. At the end of the weekend one of the vets gave my friend one of his 1st Airborne wings medals. At the airport my friend got pulled into secondary inspection. When the security dude saw the 1st Airborne medal he said " Fist Airborne". My friend said "Yea" and the inspection was over he let him go without a search.

I just got through visiting a friend who is a Marine. He's a killer who served two tours in Iraq. He likes danger. A good soldier. Stay out of politics. He called Bush a traitor. I've never heard him talk like that before. But what can you say the Bush's could never have become who they are without the Bush's and the oil industries help. I watched the protest on cspan. They couldn't make it look lamer if they tried.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
Amigo wrote:
I just got through visiting a friend who is a Marine. He's a killer who served two tours in Iraq. He likes danger. A good soldier. Stay out of politics. He called Bush a traitor. I've never heard him talk like that before. But what can you say the Bush's could never have become who they are without the Bush's and the oil industries help. I watched the protest on cspan. They couldn't make it look lamer if they tried.

i think i understand your use of the word killer, as in "soldiers don't murder, they kill the enemy", which i've heard before from the military. still, it's a little weird to hear it used to describe one of our guys.

either way, the story you've brought is quite similar to the vietnam war, which if iraq wasn't in the beginning, it sure as hell is taking on a lot of the same charcteristics lately.

my nephew's buddy joined the marines out of highschool, and was in for nearly a decade before his tours in iraq. so he didn't enlist as a reaction to 9/11. he had planned to go career.

his extended time in iraq has brought him to the belief that it's not worth it. he also says that come time to reup, he's gonna pass. and bush? umm, the guy voted for him and regrets it, quite a bit.

we get a similar, if less bush critical, story from one of my wife's older brothers(who is in his mid fifties). a republican and reservist, he was called up for iraq to command a supply depot.

i guess it's all down to perspective, but it's interesting that, like vietnam, a fair number of the people doing the actual fighting, are coming back with a lot of questions about just what the hell america is doing in iraq.

volunteer or draftee, nobody likes feeling that their trust and body has been used in a less than honest way. like that in most things, isn't it ?

---------

again, like vietnam, the media is being careful not to give too much credence to the anti-war demonstrations. to give the lamest coverage they can. if they give to much in depth and start getting inside of what's going on, they risk the chance of being exiled to the hinterlands by the white house.

the larger the anti-war sentiment grows, the more serious and in-depth the coverage is becoming. that's why the catalyst of cindy sheehan is being poo-pooed.

the antiwar movement, while having it's share of pac's like moveon, hasn't had a lot in the way of compelling leadership figures. and sheehan may be only that , a figure.

that may be all it takes to get a few people out from under a group banner to take the lead and bring enough people with a well focused "anti war in iraq" statement to let folks, like me, that are suspicious of groups like a.n.s.w.e.r. show up at more rallies.

i had the same problem during vietnam. i was absolutely against the vietnam war. but i didn't have much interest in the little red book or rallying with people waving the cong flag. or blowing up the rotc building either, for that matter. it's kinda like shtupping for virginity.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:40 am
Don'tTread, I have to pay more attention to how I write. What you quoted from my post barley makes sence.

We call soldiers that have actually killed people in combat "killers" to seperate them from soldiers who havn't seen much combat or killed anybody. The hardcore dudes.

The problem with demonstrations is that any and everybody can go and they do. These "Wackos"(as people call them) Give the movement a bad appearance. The normal people don't stick out. Being there and watching it on T.V. is like night and day. It's like there not even filming the same event.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
Amigo wrote:
Don'tTread, I have to pay more attention to how I write. What you quoted from my post barley makes sence.

***We call soldiers that have actually killed people in combat "killers" to seperate them from soldiers who havn't seen much combat or killed anybody. The hardcore dudes.

The problem with demonstrations is that any and everybody can go and they do. These "Wackos"(as people call them) Give the movement a bad appearance. The normal people don't stick out. Being there and watching it on T.V. is like night and day. It's like there not even filming the same event.

ehhh, it's hard not to get caught up in the thing when you have strong beliefs. been there more times than i can remember.

***that's what i thought you meant. just didn't want you to get hopped on without a chance to clarify your meaning first. :wink:

i agree with you about demonstrations... just about any type of rally sweeps a few people with unrelated agendas along with it.

i've been thinking about your post from yesterday, about the lame coverage. it's not that different from the beginnings of the anti-war movement of the vietnam era. it started out slow, with the people getting labled with a lot of the same tags that have been going down over the last couple of years. including the ever popular "america, love it or leave it".

it's a pretty long history to get into here, but the longer the war dragged on more and more people started wondering just what the hell was supposed to be going on. there's a lot of pretty good info on the net about that time, if you haven't already looked into it. what we have now isn't an exact carbon copy, but there are a lot of similarities. it's kinda interesting to read about in any event. there were a lot of very committed people. a lot of people that plain needed to be committed, too. Laughing

hang in there, it's all gonna work out in the end. just may take a while.
0 Replies