Cindy Sheehan Busted In Front Of White House.....

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
msnbc is reporting that cindy sheehan was the first of several anti-war protesters busted by d.c. police in front of the white house at about 1:30pm est.

failure to move along as directed by police is the reported reason.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,093 • Replies: 95
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
Sigh.

Lose-lose situation for anyone arresting her...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:01 pm
Good. Failure to obey a Police Officers instructions and not having a permit attpear to be the reasons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:04 pm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40844000/jpg/_40844316_sheehanap203b.jpg

Ms Sheehan was among a group of about 500 people who staged what they called a "civil disobedience" demonstration to bring more attention to the US military presence in Iraq.

The pavement outside the White House is a restricted area, where people by law must keep moving.

BBC
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
The law is the law, I suppose........but great publicity for the cause, which will probably cause a wave of sympathy for her, and probably bring out many more to take her place.

What a P.R. coup it would have been for the white house to invite her in for a chat, or send out drinks to them.

A veritable own goal..........I can't say I'm displeased at this turn of events. Just watch the next few days/weeks.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:39 pm
Perhaps she won't make bail ......
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The law is the law, I suppose........but great publicity for the cause, which will probably cause a wave of sympathy for her, and probably bring out many more to take her place.

What a P.R. coup it would have been for the white house to invite her in for a chat, or send out drinks to them.

A veritable own goal..........I can't say I'm displeased at this turn of events. Just watch the next few days/weeks.
Your right on. It's all pre-planned. Their all trained in civil disobedience. It's a proven effective form of protest. Lawyers are at the jail before they are. Bail is already taken care of. The biggest example of civil disobedience is probably the 'Vietnam Syndrome'. Bush Sr. oldest and most hated enemy. He thought he had it beat when he let us get attacked on 9-11. But it will be back soon. The right wing won't fight their own war. They don't have the honor, guts or decency. They let the black, brown and poor white people do it for them.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
The WAR in Iraq is over. Isn't it? Didn't we declare victory?

Our forces are now serving a "peace-keeping" mission against those who oppose our presence and/or oppose the new Iraqi government.

The new Iraqi government--at some point in the near future--needs to be responsible for keeping the national peace itself. The new Iraqi government needs to be responsible for policing its own country and bringing its own bombing, shooting, violent extremists and criminals to justice.

If the Iraqi citizens want law and order in their own country--if they don't want the extremists to rule and take away their freedoms--they need to take responsibility to organize an effective police force to ferret out the violent extremists and criminals and put them out of commission. It's their country--not ours.

It's time to turn over the peace-keeping efforts to the United Nations and the Iraqi government and to orchestrate OUR exit from the country. If Bush Inc. thinks the American citizens will support his oversea military endeavors indefinitely, he is sadly mistaken.

Cindy Sheehan is the tip of the iceberg. Millions of Americans are becoming more and more disgruntled and asking the unanswered questions: How many more American lives and how many more billions of dollars every month can WE afford to expend on behalf of the Iraqi citizens? When will our efforts (lives and money) ever be enough? When, if ever, will the "job" be done? When will we be leaving Iraq?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
Speaking of which:

Ghost Busters
A quiet majority replaces Vietnam's "silent majority."

BY DANIEL HENNINGER
Friday, August 26, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" is an aphorism of uncertain truth everyone seems to have etched into their minds. Who can forget? From the sound of the "antiwar" tom-toms thumping across the land, forgetting the past is the one thing America doesn't have to worry about. We routinely open the sepulchers of memory, and just now it is the "ghost of Vietnam" that is strolling among us.

Gary Hart, a former Democratic senator from Colorado who ran for president twice and worked on the McGovern campaign, published an op-ed in the Washington Post this week in which he exhorted someone in his party to actively oppose Mr. Bush on the war--to "jump on the hot stove" of Iraq, notwithstanding the Democrats' searing experience with Vietnam.

Chuck Hagel, a senator from Nebraska and current presidential marathoner, is beating his singular path to the nomination by explicitly saying that as in Vietnam, we are "bogged down" in Iraq and "need to be out." Also on the yellow brick road to the presidency, Democratic senator Russ Feingold has called for withdrawal from Iraq by Dec 31, 2006

Maybe Santayana was misquoted. Maybe what he meant to say is those who remember history are condemned to repeat it. And repeat it, and repeat it.

Joan Baez, now 64, has descended from the mists to sing songs at Cindy Sheehan's Crawford ditch in Texas. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, respectively 62 and 61, have decided to cap their careers with a new song called "Sweet Neo-Con" ("It's liberty for all . . . unless you are against us, then it's prison without trial.") The ghost of Tom Hayden showed up on Bill O'Reilly this week to announce, with the confidence of experience, that "an exit strategy is an art form all in itself." And indeed some polls have dropped the war's support below 50%.

Here's a truer saying: It's déjà vu all over again.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
There we go. Theirs the phrase for this war " the ghost of Vietnam". Public opinion is everything. That is why our government is pursuing more and more totalitarian ideas. To put an end to the problem of 'Public Opinion' and the 'Vietnam syndrome'. The ghost of Vietnam is infront of the white house.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm
Freedom has a hefty price. Our forefathers did not shrink and cower and hide in their homes when the terrorizing agents of King George tried to beat us into submission. WE won our freedom from oppression and tyranny--WE wanted it; we fought for it; and we won it.

The Iraqi citizens need to want it as much as we wanted it; they need to fight for it and sacrifice for it and win it. Otherwise, freedom will not be valued; it will not be fought for with the blood of their own; it will be something gained in name only and easily lost.

For us to die for them and for us to go billions of dollars into debt every month for them is futile. Freedom isn't something we can give them through our blood and through our tax dollars and national debt--it's something the Iraqi people have to earn for themselves in order for them to cherish it and defend it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:29 pm
I heard some snippets of these anti-war folks talking today. What a bunch of moonbats! She didn't have far to fall, but I'm sure she's widely seen now not as a grieving mother, but just another wacko anti-war liberal.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I heard some snippets of these anti-war folks talking today. What a bunch of moonbats! She didn't have far to fall, but I'm sure she's widely seen now not as a grieving mother, but just another wacko anti-war liberal.

what did they say, tico?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:09 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Only by myopic, kneejerk conservatives!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
From Yahoo News
Quote:
Sheehan Arrested During Anti-War Protest
By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

....Sheehan, 48, was the first taken into custody. She smiled as she was carried to the curb, then stood up and walked to a police vehicle as protesters chanted, "The whole world is watching."....

....Sgt. Scott Fear, spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said about 370 protesters were arrested over four and a half hours.....

.....The protest Monday followed a massive demonstration Saturday that drew a crowd of 100,000 or more, the largest such gathering in the capital since the war began in March 2003.....

....On Sunday, a rally supporting the war drew about 500 people.

Look at the difference in numbers. Ntot only did the 100,000 antiwar demonstrators outnumber the prowar people, Cindy's group of 370 came close to doing it all by themselves!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:57 am
Ticomaya wrote:

That was going to be the second part of my earlier post, but I thought I would dilute my main point.

You just watch the likes of Fox News and the other Bush guard dogs. They will be looking for every "wacko" near the White House and making sure they get good democratic air time.

The wackos make up a small percentage of all populations, left wing, right....or middle. But I bet Fox et al are now trying their very best to portray that these people make up the vast majority of the demonstrators.

Cindy can be as wacko as she likes, I say. She has earned it the hard way, seeing her flesh and blood go off to fight and die, so that Halliburton and co. can declare a good bottom line.

.....Oh, and to ensure the security of the USA against "terror", of course.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:20 am
Hmmm.......I take it wacko, antiwar and liberal all mean the same thing?

Well, slogans do relieve us of the burden of thought and rational decision making.

All hail propaganda!

Such a relief for the tired and lazy mind....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:44 am
By 1969 there were 750,000 people marching on Washington.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:54 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

That was going to be the second part of my earlier post, but I thought I would dilute my main point.

You just watch the likes of Fox News and the other Bush guard dogs. They will be looking for every "wacko" near the White House and making sure they get good democratic air time.

The wackos make up a small percentage of all populations, left wing, right....or middle. But I bet Fox et al are now trying their very best to portray that these people make up the vast majority of the demonstrators.

Cindy can be as wacko as she likes, I say. She has earned it the hard way, seeing her flesh and blood go off to fight and die, so that Halliburton and co. can declare a good bottom line.

.....Oh, and to ensure the security of the USA against "terror", of course.

So,using your logic,I can be as wacko as I want,and you cant say anything about it,right?
After all,I left part of my body in Iraq,so I earned it the hard way also,didnt I

So if I make comments about her,then you must agree,after all,you seem to be agreeing with her because her son died in a war he VOLUNTEERED to fight in.
Lets not forget that part,he VOLUNTEERED to go to Iraq.
He wanted to go.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:57 am
Cindy Sheehan has her handful of salt.
0 Replies