Air America begging me for money,what a hoot!!

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
This is to good.
I recieved an e-mail from Air America Radio,begging for money.

Here is the e-mail I got...

Edit (Moderator): Promotional materials removed

Go to the links and you will see them begging for money.
I wonder why?
According to the liberals on SB,AA radio is doing a wonderful job,growing by leaps and bounds.
If thats the case,why are they begging for money from me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,398 • Replies: 78
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:01 pm
and EIB is busy hawking all that Limbaugh crap. Think that theres a connection?
Maybe AA felt that is youre stupid enough to buy the cheap "Gorilla chair" , youll give to anything.
Ive never heard AA, and even though Im more liberal than you, I need to be entertained. I confess to listening to Limbaugh mostly to catch him up and hear how all my Conservative acquaintences will wind up quoting him as if his pronouncements were theirs.

MAybe theyll give Limbaugh another shot at NFL "color". Seems that he and Dennis Miller showed that they could be complete A**holes when they try their schtick in areas that they should let to the professionals.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
farmerman wrote:
Maybe AA felt that is youre stupid enough to buy the cheap "Gorilla chair" , youll give to anything.

LOL MM is on a suckers list, not surprising.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
farmerman wrote:
Ive never heard AA, and even though Im more liberal than you, I need to be entertained. I confess to listening to Limbaugh mostly to catch him up and hear how all my Conservative acquaintences will wind up quoting him as if his pronouncements were theirs.

MAybe theyll give Limbaugh another shot at NFL "color". Seems that he and Dennis Miller showed that they could be complete A**holes when they try their schtick in areas that they should let to the professionals.

I have no idea what EIB is,so I cant answer your statement about it.
I dont listen to Limbaugh,and I have never listened to AA either.
As far as I know,it doesnt even play on any radio stations in this area.

I just thought it was funny that they werehaving to beg for money.
If they were that popular,they wouldnt need to.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
What is really funny is that MysteryMan is doing publicity for Air America... including publishing a fund raising letter in a forum which includes their target market.

If Air America (or one of their supporters) tried to post this letter on A2K it would be blocked (or cost them). Since it was MysteryMan who posted it, it will stay.

They should send you a thank you note.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:26 pm
There is a wee bit of irony there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:33 pm
Air America. A delightful name, indeed. Suppose it was formed from a defunct Southeast Asia airline of the same name. Won't mention any names, but the owner was reputed to have the initials CIA
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:37 pm
Jeepers I got a spam email from some Republican in the States calling me "friend". Got to be kidding. Firstly I'm not American, secondly I wouldn't vote Republican in a fit. How did they get my email address?

Now Air America I'd give money to (desperately trying to keep on thread).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:48 pm
Since most mailing lists are only sold to 'friendly' groups, I'd love to know what list MM was on that's friendly to Air America.

<grin>

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Or so I've heard.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:38 am
ehBeth wrote:
Since most mailing lists are only sold to 'friendly' groups, I'd love to know what list MM was on that's friendly to Air America.

<grin>

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Or so I've heard.

I would like to know also.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:26 am
<<ebrown runs to sign mysterman up for MoveOn and the ACLU>>
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
Why can't they find sponsers??
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:42 am
I emailed Pat Robertson and asked if he thought the hurricanes were God's judgement because of Jeff Gannon being given a press poass and I have receied an email thanking me for my support and various solicitations.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:27 am
woiyo wrote:
Why can't they find sponsers??(sic)

Who sys they can't find sponsors?

Air America programs are booked solid at The Quake here in San Francisco. Most people do not understand how radio works, it takes time to build an audience. Air America has had some great success, like in Portalnd where the staion went from the 1s to a 4, if memory serves.

Progressive radio is here to stay. It is much bigger than Air America, whuch was pretty poorly run in the early days so their success came in spite of themselves.

If Air America is looking for additional revenue sources, so what?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:32 am
I occasionally get letters from various GOP organizations, often addressed "Dear Fellow Republican" (which is like being addressed as "dear fellow leper"). Strangely, those always arrive at my office address, whereas the appeals from the Democrats and the ACLU always come to my home. I have no idea how I got on either mailing list.

For what it's worth, I refuse to give money to any political party, so they might as well just save the stamp the next time they want to beg me for a donation.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:36 am
Holy cow, Joe!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
Quote:
Is Air America unintentionally a not-for-profit enterprise?

For $50, they'll send three "official" bumper stickers, while $100 gets a "stylish" tote bag thrown in. The sucker who has everything might choose the $250 version, including the above and an on-air thanks from one of Air America's talk hosts.

Another option: send "any amount", for which they'll be "grateful". Only you can prevent the next Boys & Girls Club financial raid. Send a buck, save midnight basketball in the Bronx.

There's little indication of where the money will go, whether for overpaid air talent, sparkling new studios, the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club repayment fund, or perhaps to settle one of the endless legal flaps that plague Air America Radio. Somehow it will "help Air America Radio get on the air in every community in the nation," according to the website.

Radio industry reaction was swift to Air America's new fundraising approach, cooked up after recent private fundraising troubles and obvious advertising revenue shortfalls (simply listen to the commercial breaks). From one radio industry message board commenter:
    [i]Talk about cheap! Public radio has better offers than that. This sounds like a desperation move. How hard up for cash flow could they be? They are running spots but a lot of them sound like bottom-feeder PI (per inquiry) spots (no cash, they get a commission if anybody orders). The least they could do is offer stock, then if the thing ever does take off people could see some return. Keep in mind folks, donations to a for-profit business are NOT deductible[/i].

LINK
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:53 am
Chrissee wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Why can't they find sponsers??(sic)

Who sys they can't find sponsors?

Air America programs are booked solid at The Quake here in San Francisco. Most people do not understand how radio works, it takes time to build an audience. Air America has had some great success, like in Portalnd where the staion went from the 1s to a 4, if memory serves.

Progressive radio is here to stay. It is much bigger than Air America, whuch was pretty poorly run in the early days so their success came in spite of themselves.

If Air America is looking for additional revenue sources, so what?

Dream on, Chrissee - AAR is in the Critical Care Ward, on life support, with a very dim prognosis:

Quote:
Air America deflated
By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
September 1, 2005

When Air America Radio (AAR) went on the air in March 2004, newspapers, magazines and network TV celebrated the liberal radio network in cover stories, on the front page, and in glowing features.
The network's star -- former "Saturday Night Live" funnyman Al Franken -- was feted by the New York Times as Air America's "big gun in the noon-to-3-p.m. slot going up against his old nemesis, Rush Limbaugh."
Now, nearly 18 months later, the network's ratings remain low. AAR's former boss has been accused of swindling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a social service agency for poor children. And a lawsuit seeking more than a quarter-million dollars charges that AAR perpetrated a "sham" to defraud the network's creditors.
The woes of the liberal network have been pursued avidly by conservative bloggers and columnists, who note that those who once trumpeted AAR's debut as front-page news have given little coverage to its subsequent problems.
Among the network's recent bad news:
• New York authorities are investigating $875,000 in loans AAR received last year from Bronx-based Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club (GWBGC). Network officials blame the network's former chairman and say they are making arrangements for repayment of the loans.
• One of the nation's largest minority-owned broadcasting companies is suing the parent company of AAR. Multicultural Radio says it is owed $255,000 and that AAR's change of ownership last year was a "sham" meant to cheat creditors.
After a year and a half, AAR's audience is still tiny compared to the millions who tune into conservative talk shows (Mr. Limbaugh alone reaches nearly 15 million), and industry analysts question whether the liberal network will ever draw enough listeners to turn a profit.
Yet AAR officials insist the network is doing well. Ratings are improving, they say, and investors are willing to keep AAR afloat.
"We're definitely financially stable at this time," an AAR spokeswoman, who requested anonymity, said in a recent interview. She cited a "new round of investments" received in November 2004 and May of this year, but did not provide a dollar amount.
AAR has grown from 25 affiliates to 67 stations nationwide since last year, and network officials say new data from the Arbitron rating service found that AAR's cumulative audience has climbed from 1.3 million listeners to 3.1 million.
Gary Krantz, who became president of AAR in April, said the network has "seen double-digit growth from a huge percentage of our markets," led by Los Angeles and Denver. "It proves there is a stable and growing audience for Air America," he said.
Yet the ratings remain relatively low. Ratings for AAR's flagship station, WLIB in New York, fell from a 1.3 percent share of the audience last summer to 1.0 percent this spring, National Review recently noted. Pointing out that Mr. Franken "is paid at least $1 million per year," the magazine said, "Air America almost certainly needs better ratings than it currently attracts if it is to survive."
In the Washington market, AAR has barely registered in the ratings since it debuted on WWRC-1260 AM in January. During the spring, it drew just 0.4 percent of listeners 12 and older, according to the most recent Arbitron data.
AAR got off to a bumpy start, with stations dumping the network and payroll checks bouncing. Piquant LLC, the current owner of AAR, insists that both the suspect loans from the New York charity and the network's early cash problems occurred on the watch of former Chairman Evan M. Cohen, 39, and the firm he ran, Progress Media.
Others at AAR have said they were unaware that Mr. Cohen was working as a $74,000-a-year development director at the Gloria Wise Girls & Boys Club at the time the loans were made.
On AAR last month, Mr. Franken said Mr. Cohen "let us believe we had enough funding to go three years before making a profit. Turned out it was three weeks." He also said he thought Mr. Cohen "was robbing Peter to pay Paul."
GWBGC, which has 20,000 clients and receives millions in taxpayer funding, normally funds projects such as senior centers and after-school activities for disadvantaged youth. The club's executive director, Charles Rosen, abruptly resigned earlier this month, and GWBGC is now being probed by both the New York State Attorney General's Office and the New York City Department of Investigation.
The Bronx charity's future is threatened by the scandal. The city suspended millions of dollars in government grants and contracts to GWBGC in June, saying the suspension was a result of accusations of "inappropriate transactions."
And no one seems to be able to find Mr. Cohen now. "He hasn't surfaced ... no one knows where he is. We haven't talked to him," the AAR spokeswoman said.
Last week, the New York Sun said it was told by a lawyer who's been trying to serve Mr. Cohen with legal papers that the former AAR chairman is missing, while others have said that he has been seen in Hawaii.
Piquant LLC says it made an initial deposit of $50,000 early last month toward repaying GWBGC.
Meanwhile, Multicultural Radio's lawsuit filed in May contends that last year's transfer of Air America's ownership from Progress Media to Piquant LLC was a "sham" designed to maintain the network's assets while abandoning its creditors.
Multicultural says in its lawsuit that it dropped AAR from stations in two cities in April 2004 because the network had not paid its bills. Last November, a New York court ordered AAR to pay Multicultural more than $255,000. But lawyers for Piquant LLC say the new owners are not responsible for Progress Media's debts.
One attorney for Multicultural, Randy Mastro, told the New York Sun that some of those running Piquant LLC also were involved in AAR operations when Progress Media was in control. He said the suit filed in May is part of a larger attempt by his client to collect more than $1.5 million it says it is owed.
Meanwhile, AAR continues to ballyhoo its improved ratings and new personalities, including Jerry Springer.
"He'll bring some audience that we didn't have," Jon Sinton, AAR's programming chief, told Billboard Radio Monitor, "and we are excited about that."

Researcher John Sopko contributed to this report.

Quote:
Air America's Year of Decline
The liberal network scores its lowest-ever ratings.

Quote:
AIR AMERICA: GROVELING FOR CASH
By Michelle Malkin · September 22, 2005 08:26 AM

Stuff it with cash, please!

Al Franken's liberal radio network, Air America, is now scraping the bottom of the barrel for investors. Having taxed the patience of deep-pocketed liberal sugar daddies, Air America execs have cooked up a new campaign to hit up their own listeners for cash donations.

My investigative blog partner Brian Maloney and I received multiple forwarded e-mails of the pitch being sent to Air America fans. Brian has the amusing scoop:
Quote:
In what appears just short of outright panhandling, a desperate Air America Radio is now begging listeners for cash donations.
From a mass email pitch sent Wednesday afternoon, Air America supporters were taken to a webpage where a direct solicitation is made.

Resembling an online PBS or NPR pledge drive, the site offered paltry "benefits" for cash "gifts" to the liberal talk network. Is Air America unintentionally a not-for-profit enterprise?

For $50, they'll send three "official" bumper stickers, while $100 gets a "stylish" tote bag thrown in. The sucker who has everything might choose the $250 version, including the above and an on-air thanks from one of Air America's talk hosts.

Another option: send "any amount", for which they'll be "grateful". Only you can prevent the next Boys & Girls Club financial raid. Send a buck, save midnight basketball in the Bronx.

Heh.

In related news, the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club has been kicked out of of the Boys & Girls Club over its shady financial entanglements with Air America.

Air America's ratings are still in the tank.

And via Newsbusters, unhinged Air America hostess Randi Rhodes is comparing Hurricane Katrina evacuees to Holocaust victims. (Other deranged Rhodes rants here and here.)

Update: Ankle Biting Pundits are soliciting your proposals for the next Air America fundraising schemes...

Quote:
We want your ideas as to what Air America will do next to try and raise money. We have visions of Al Franken holding a squeegee on Park Avenue and Janeane Garofalo reaching into pay phone coin returns dancing in our heads.

Captain Ed:

Quote:
I love the notion that by sending AAR $50, listeners get "FREE STUFF!" Only a liberal hack would buy that argument. It's the same argument that they swallow when arguing that government should provide services for "free".
If con men want to find the easy marks in town, just look for the cars sporting the bumper sticker that boasts, "I'm building Air America Radio".

In college town Ann Arbor, one of The Nation's most liberal markets, AAR ain't exactly a shining star:

Quote:
Programming changes reflected in radio ratings
WQKL benefits with switch from oldies to adult alternative
Sunday, September 11, 2005
BY ROGER LELIEVRE
News Arts Writer
Changes in programming the past several months at Ann Arbor's commercial radio stations have produced some clear winners and losers.

Among the winners is WQKL (107.1-FM), which modernized its oldies-leaning format last fall and saw a quick rise in ratings. Not so successful was the station now known as WLBY (1290-AM, formerly oldies station WHNE), which switched formats to "Air America'' liberal talk only to experience a drop in listenership.

The most listened-to commercial radio station in Ann Arbor is still Detroit news/talk powerhouse WJR (AM 760), followed by the local country outlet WWWW (102.9 FM), according to the latest Arbitron spring 2005 ratings book, released recently. (Public-radio WUOM is tops overall; see story on Page C2.)

San Francisco's AAR outlet, KQKE, 23rd in ratings for the 1st half of the Summer '05 period, with a 1.4 share (the station's peak performance since adopting the AAR format, BTW), has clawed its way downward to a 1.2 share for the 2nd half of the Summer '05 period, per Radio & Records/Arbitron. Meanwhile, Sirius Satellite Radio has dropped AAR, leaving the format only XM Satellite Radio's offering of selected shows, not AAR's full schedule.

Leading trade publication Advertising Age comments on AAR's bleak revenue situation:
Quote:
Air America woes worry advertisers
by KEN WHEATON
Air America has problems ...

... Natalie Swed Stone, director-national radio services at Omnicom Group's OMD, said her clients were taking a wait-and-see approach at the time of launch and opinions haven't changed. Our clients look for critical mass and [Air America] isn't there yet.'' Oddly, spots for OMD marketers-McDonald's Corp. and Tyson Chicken, among others-were some of the first heard on Air America. And it isn't quite clear how they got there. (One agency insider said that early ads on Air America could be had-literally-for free.) ...

... The woes of its business model do seem to come down to politics of a sort. From the start, Air America's business mission seemed tied to its political mission-officially to answer the supposed right-wing lock on talk radio, unofficially to unseat the current administration (according to its stable of talent). But talk radio, said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers magazine, is a long-term commitment, not a gig to get a president unelected.'' Mr. Harrison still holds that the PR campaign leading up to the launch of Air America was historic'' (AA, April 5). Unfortunately, he said, it's looking like Air America doesn't have the goods to back that up.

He faults the business model. It doesn't fit the industry. They're fund-raising based. They're set up like a political campaign. And a political campaign is only popular as long as it's successful.''

Repeated calls to Air America went unanswered. Indeed, operators didn't answer calls to the switchboard, voicemail boxes were apparently filled to capacity-even call-in lines to the radio shows seemed tied up. In numerous reports in the press, President Jon Sinton chalked up the troubles to growing pains and a changing business model ...

... We wish that they would have been able to obtain major market clearance, which would help establish the program more solidly,'' said Aaron Cohen, exec VP-director of broadcast for Horizon Media, New York, who counts among his clients Geico Insurance and who's placed ads on Air America. We have continuing concerns about the seeming instability of the organization, and are therefore concerned about making a long-term investment in the programming.''

Of coursde, a miracle might happen - keep your hopes up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:59 am
Id like to be able to hear it. We dont even have one station in the Philly through Harrsburg metro areas that carry AA. It could die by being unheard.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
farmerman wrote:
Id like to be able to hear it. We dont even have one station in the Philly through Harrsburg metro areas that carry AA. It could die by being unheard.

There is a reason sponsors do not pay high ad fees.

NO-ONE IS LISTENING.

It is probably not the "message that is the problem, it is more likely the messengers and thier styles.
0 Replies