god loves man, loves man not god.

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
But I might call to your attention, Questioner and Steve...

...that the Jesus Seminars...

...a group of Christian theologists and thinkers, including bishops...

...have pretty much concluded that almost every words supposedly spoken by Jesus in the Gospel of John...

...more than likely was never spoken by him at all.

Frank,

Do you have a reference for that? I would like to know more about that.

Thanx,

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:42 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

...have pretty much concluded that almost every words supposedly spoken by Jesus in the Gospel of John...

Oh sure. The validity of the entire bible is questionable. But, it's premature to say that there are no instances of jesus making that claim in the bible.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank,

Do you have a reference for that? I would like to know more about that.

Thanx,

Momma Angel

Start here, MA...but you really would have to get a book on the subject to give it its fair due.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t017.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:52 pm
Thanx Frank. I will do some research.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:53 pm
Questioner wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Oh sure. The validity of the entire bible is questionable. But, it's premature to say that there are no instances of jesus making that claim in the bible.

Absolutely.

My reason for mentioning what I did was merely to put a bit more flesh on the bones of this discussion.

In any case, I think that Christianity probably depends more on the resurrection of Jesus as the basis for its divinity claims of him...as opposed to any claims he made to divinity. It is almost certain that the claims of divinity were added later. Jesus would probably have been stoned on the spot for a claim of divinity...perhaps even by his disciples. It would have been a very, very dangerous thing to do...and it does appear as though Jesus was careful not to hurry his demise.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:55 pm
Frank,

His disciples did not stone Him because they KNEW who He was! They KNEW He was telling them the truth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

His disciples did not stone Him because they KNEW who He was! They KNEW He was telling them the truth.

Really!

And how do you know that, MA?

How do you know he told them he was the son of God?

How do you know they knew he was?

How do you know that they would not have stoned him on the spot if he claimed divinity?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:35 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Really!

How do you know that they would not have stoned him on the spot if he claimed divinity?

Frank,

I see that trap coming. I tell you it's in the Bible, etc., and you say, etc.

Let me ask you something. Haven't you ever "in your heart" (figureatively) just KNOW something was, whether you saw it or not?

How do you KNOW science is right? Because man said it is so? Because it can be proven? Well, who came up with the description of what proof is? Who came up with water freezes at 32 degrees? Man could have said ok, water freezes at 100 degrees and we would have bought it, right? Science comes from man. And how many times has man been proven wrong in his old science with new science?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Really!

Frank,

I see that trap coming. I tell you it's in the Bible, etc., and you say, etc.

Let me ask you something. Haven't you ever "in your heart" (figureatively) just KNOW something was, whether you saw it or not?

Honestly...I do not do that "I know in my heart..." stuff.

In fact, by now you should realize that I very, very seldom talk about the stuff that I supposedly know.

Quote:
How do you KNOW science is right?

On many things...I don't. I question scientific guesses just like I question religious guesses.

Quote:
Because man said it is so? Because it can be proven? Well, who came up with the description of what proof is? Who came up with water freezes at 32 degrees? Man could have said ok, water freezes at 100 degrees and we would have bought it, right? Science comes from man. And how many times has man been proven wrong in his old science with new science?

Not applicable...as per my answer above. I don't blame you for being suspicious of science. It can get a bit untidy at times.

But at least scientists try to find answers...and try to investigate...and question the assumptions of each other...rather than simply saying a thing is so.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So at the root of it is that God gave to man the thing that is most precious to Him, i.e. the life of his own Son, so that man can be saved (if he believes).

Any normal person would have to be impressed with an idea that was so important that someone (in this case God) was willing to give the life of his own child for it.

God gave his son to man? For me the whole thing begins to putrefy here when I consider that the sacrifice was actually to God himself since man was essentially being saved from Gods vengeance for sinning (offending God).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
mesquite wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So at the root of it is that God gave to man the thing that is most precious to Him, i.e. the life of his own Son, so that man can be saved (if he believes).

Any normal person would have to be impressed with an idea that was so important that someone (in this case God) was willing to give the life of his own child for it.

God gave his son to man? For me the whole thing begins to putrefy here when I consider that the sacrifice was actually to God himself since man was essentially being saved from Gods vengeance for sinning (offending God).

But Mesquite, He is not dead. Christ is alive. I do understand what you are saying. I really do. But, I look at God as the creator and the one that makes the rules and I don't think you look at Him the same way.

Good to see you today!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
MA...

...with all the respect in the world considering what I have to say here...

...the notion that the god is showing "love" for humanity or the world by having humans torture and kill its son...

...is one of the most bizarre "beliefs" in all of Christiandom.

"Sin" as was just noted...is something a human does that offends their god.

If the god wanted to "forgive" humans for their sins...(chief of which seems to be "being human")...all it would have to do is to "forgive" them.

The idea that someone has to be tortured and killed...sacrificed...in order for the "forgiveness" to come does NOT show love...

...it shows savagery and barbarity.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:25 pm
Frank,

I do understand how you feel and I do understand how you can feel that way. It's just that we look at God differently.

And no offense taken in any way.

But, let me ask you something, Frank. If God just forgave like you say, what lesson would we learn? Would we not just go out and do whatever we wanted to with no consequences?

I had to come back and add this because someone came to the door. Sorry about that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

But Mesquite, He is not dead. Christ is alive.

Then where is the giving? For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son
Quote:
I do understand what you are saying. I really do. But, I look at God as the creator and the one that makes the rules and I don't think you look at Him the same way.
He used to be a real stickler for the rules and was downright nasty to those who broke them. Now he has become a pacifist and requires only to believe?

Quote:
Good to see you today!

Same to you MA.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
Mesquite,

Your questions always make me think, which is a good thing. I wish I could explain to you why it seems God was a real stickler for the rules and it seems He softened. I cannot put so many things into words sometimes. I just know that yes, those things did happen in the OT and yes, they must sound so barbaric to those that don't believe the whole story.

There are so many things I still have questions about. But, I live my life the best I can and I stick to my faith because it does sustain me. It is what makes me a whole person.

And, if as you say, He was a stickler and now just requires you to believe, why would anyone have a problem with that? So, I guess there are questions on both side of the coin.

I really enjoy chatting with you.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Well I'm not trying to play tricks or anything MA

It started with your tagline from John 3.16.

That is one sentence, and all i am trying to do is look at it logically.

Personally I dont think Jesus the man was anything like the image of Jesus we are given from childhood. That is not to say all men perhaps have a spark of the divine in them, but that is irrelevant to my analysis.

First we must accept the existence of God...For the purposes of this argument thats a given.

Then God "So loved the world". Well ok. Again for the sake of argument. (There is a mighty big assumption here. Many people have come to quite different conclusions about the character of God)

He gave his only begotten son etc.

But perhaps less so if the "son" was no relation. Or if the sacrifice was a goat, or just some money in a tin.

The affect is lost if the Father Son relation is missing. And yet apparantly nowhere do we have Jesus claiming to be divine.

(Thats not to say you cant believe in him as divine, thats religion, I'm just trying to look at the actual words and trying to draw some conclusions).

So what do I conclude? Just that its strange that the central tenet of Christianity..the divinity of Christ...is not more forcibly established in the Bible. Other people say he was divine, then others elaborate on that. But if you just look at what Jesus actually claimed for himself it appears to be a different story.

This may cover it....

Editorial disclaimer: the views expressed in the following article are not those of the poster. Razz

Jesus Said
He Is God

What the Bible Teaches: JESUS
http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/said_god.htm

"I've heard that Jesus never actually claimed He was God."

John 14:7-10 [7] If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." [8] Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." [9] Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."

John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.

John 10:37-38 [37] Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. [38] But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."

Matthew 27:43 He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, `I am the Son of God.'"

John 17:11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one.

"When Jesus said 'I and the Father are one' didn't He just mean they are of one accord, they are merely like-minded?"

Taken alone, statements such as "I and the Father are one." and "The Father is in me, and I am in the Father." could mean simply that Jesus agrees with Jehovah. But in the overall context of the Bible this cannot be:

John 10:31-33 [31] Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, [32] but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" [33] "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

John 17:10 [Speaking to the Father] All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

Note: Jesus never claimed to be Jehovah. He claimed to be one "person" of the Trinity. (The term "person" refers to human beings and, therefore does not totally accurately describe the nature of these divine "persons." The late Dr. Walter Martin once described "God" as a being with "three centers of consciousness.")

Note: "Son of Man" was a term referring to the expected Messiah.

Mark 14:61b-62 [61b] Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" [62] "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Luke 22:66-70 [66] At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. [67] "If you are the Christ, " they said, "tell us." Jesus answered, "If I tell you, you will not believe me, [68] and if I asked you, you would not answer. [69] But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God." [70] They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am."

Daniel 7:13-14 [13] "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. [14] He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

"If Jesus claimed He was God, why did He say the Father is greater?"

John 14:28 "You heard me say, `I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

Sadly, the original Greek text was mistranslated centuries ago and the mistranslation has become "tradition".

John 14:28 [Latin Vulgate] "audistis quia ego dixi vobis vado et venio ad vos si diligeretis me gauderetis utique quia vado ad Patrem quia Pater maior me est

The Latin word maior shown here is the source of the English words "major" and "majority".

In the original Greek, the word used for "greater" means more blessed, not greater in nature.

It's like saying "The President is greater than the Vice President."

On the word translated "greater"

Strong's Greek Concordance Number: 3107

Romanized spelling: makarios

Pronounciation: mak-AR-ee-os

Meaning: supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off: -- blessed, happy(-ier)

Jesus clearly and repeatedly indicated that He is not the one who "calls the shots":

John 14:31 the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

John 7:16 Jesus answered, "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me."

John 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me."

John 17:3-12 [3] Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. [4] I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. [5] And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. [6] I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. [7] Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. [8] For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. [9] I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. [10] All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. [11] I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one. [12] While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 02:13 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

I do understand how you feel and I do understand how you can feel that way. It's just that we look at God differently.

And no offense taken in any way.

But, let me ask you something, Frank. If God just forgave like you say, what lesson would we learn?

Perhaps it is not "we" who have to learn any lesson. Perhaps the god in this fairytale is the one who has a lesson to learn. Perhaps the god ought to learn not to be so offended by the things humans do...because humans are humans...not gods.

In any case, perhaps we would have learned that it is not necessary for violence to be a part of forgiveness...WHICH IT ISN'T.

All sorts of lessons could be learned without the god "giving" its son to be tortured and killed.

Quote:
Would we not just go out and do whatever we wanted to with no consequences?

Well...if you put your hand into fire...which almost every kid does in order to learn what the words "hot, hot" mean...you learn you should do that.

No need to kill anyone for learning to take place.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 04:59 am
Interesting quotes Pauligirl thanks

Nowhere does Jesus say I am the Son of God.

The Jews stone him for saying he was God. But thats an account of what his enemies said about him.

At one point he says "you are right to say I am".... but what exactly was the question? Why in this convoluted fashion? Why doesnt he come out and say it?

The references to the Father could be applied to us all, as children of God.

My point is simply that for the logic of John 3:16 to work, it must be established that Jesus is the (unique and divine) Son of God. And from the actual words spoken by Jesus and 'recorded' in the bible, he does not establish his credentials as such.

For me, I dont mind if someone believes the world is controlled by giant green lizards (as does David Icke) or whatever other bizzare notion they may find emotionally comforting, so long as they dont do me harm. But neither do I go along with the idea that all relgions are equally valid or worthy of respect.

I was always taught that the bible was not meant to be taken literally. Perhaps someone somewhere knew that if you do, you run into all sorts of difficulties and logical errors. By and large the Christians I know use the bible as a guiding light, not as a rule book. Though I cant share their absolute faith, I certainly have more respect for them than for others, christian muslim or jewish who insist on a literal interpretation of what can only be mythology.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
Pauligirl,

Marvelous posting. I, for one, think that made it very clear that Christ was the son of God.

Steve,

Your statement about 'it must be established that Jesus is....' would take faith out of the picture, wouldn't it? Again, this is God or Christ having to prove who they are before you or others would believe? If it could be scientifically proven, (just suppose it could be just for a second here) that God did exist and Christ did die on the cross for our sins, do you think everyone in the world would believe it?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
well I believe in good......

but thats not because I have to employ faith to make me believe in good.

Good seems to me live enhancing, joyful, bloody obvious really. Or at least the amerlioration of the bad things.

Faith means (to me) the ability to suspend disbelief and critical reasoning. Thats not to say my way is better than yours. just that the two thought processes are quite different and in fact mutually exclusive.

But at the level of the mundane, i.e. material things, my way works better than yours Smile !
0 Replies