god loves man, loves man not god.

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
I wanted someone with a much more intimate knowledge of the New Testament than I have to give me a simple answer. However, I've just done a little searching and found....just as I feared a morass of conflicting claims, counter claims and interpretations.

And of course each claim is correct and each counter claim correct and every interpretation is THE ONLY interpretation....I was going to say it was childish, but infantile is a better description.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:05 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I wanted someone with a much more intimate knowledge of the New Testament than I have to give me a simple answer. However, I've just done a little searching and found....just as I feared a morass of conflicting claims, counter claims and interpretations.

And of course each claim is correct and each counter claim correct and every interpretation is THE ONLY interpretation....I was going to say it was childish, but infantile is a better description.

Steve,

I was not trying to be smart-mouthed. I thought there may be some reason you couldn't do it. I didn't know if you had a bible or not (which could be one reason you wouldn't be able to do it.)

Personally, I don't know how many times Christ says He is the Son of God in the Bible. I would have to sit down and go through the NT and count them. It's not that I don't want to do it, I just am a bit pressed for time right now. So, if you can't get an answer to this right away, can you give me a few days to see what I can come up with?

I would be happy to do it for you. Can you explain something to me though? Your question is right to the point and very clear to me. You want to know how many times Christ referred to Himself as the Son of God, right? If that's what you are asking, I would think you shouldn't get conflicting claims and what's to interpret? You gave them the exact words you are looking for.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
Just a few examples of what I mean:-

In Mark chapter 1 verses 10-11 records how Jesus heard a voice from heaven saying "You are my much-loved son. I am very pleased with you." Jesus himself must have told his followers this (since no-one else heard the voice). This implies that he believed he was the Son of God.

In Mark chapter 8 verse 31 Jesus calls himself the "Son of Man". This is a title that is used more than 80 times in Matthew/Mark/Luke/John, and is never applied to anyone except Jesus himself.

In Mark chapter 4 verses 35-41, Jesus stopped a storm. This is an implied claim to be God. In the Jewish scriptures, it was only God who could stop storms

In Mark chapter 13 verse 32, Jesus is talking about the end of the world, and he says no-one knows when it will be, not even the Son of God. Clearly he is talking about himself.

In Mark chapter 14 verse 61-2, Jesus is on trial in front of the Jewish leaders. They ask him, "are you the Son of God?" He replies "I am."

In my book none of the above qualify as Jesus saying "I am the Son of God". The last gets closest, but even here he only says "I am". How can we be sure that was the question to which he was answering?

In Jesus's day it was unlawful even to pronounce the name of God. So I would have thought it would be considered highly blashphemous to claim to be God's Son.

Dont spend time on my account going through the entire New Testament MA but if you can point to one example of Jesus saying "I am the Son of God" I would like to know it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:51 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Just a few examples of what I mean:-

In Mark chapter 1 verses 10-11 records how Jesus heard a voice from heaven saying "You are my much-loved son. I am very pleased with you." Jesus himself must have told his followers this (since no-one else heard the voice). This implies that he believed he was the Son of God.

In Mark chapter 8 verse 31 Jesus calls himself the "Son of Man". This is a title that is used more than 80 times in Matthew/Mark/Luke/John, and is never applied to anyone except Jesus himself.

In Mark chapter 4 verses 35-41, Jesus stopped a storm. This is an implied claim to be God. In the Jewish scriptures, it was only God who could stop storms

In Mark chapter 13 verse 32, Jesus is talking about the end of the world, and he says no-one knows when it will be, not even the Son of God. Clearly he is talking about himself.

In Mark chapter 14 verse 61-2, Jesus is on trial in front of the Jewish leaders. They ask him, "are you the Son of God?" He replies "I am."

In my book none of the above qualify as Jesus saying "I am the Son of God". The last gets closest, but even here he only says "I am". How can we be sure that was the question to which he was answering?

In Jesus's day it was unlawful even to pronounce the name of God. So I would have thought it would be considered highly blashphemous to claim to be God's Son.

Dont spend time on my account going through the entire New Testament MA but if you can point to one example of Jesus saying "I am the Son of God" I would like to know it.

Steve,

I understand your point. I don't believe you will find in the Bible, and Jesus said, "I am the son of God."

So, if that was the exact thing you were looking for, I don't recall it in the Bible, so I believe the answer would be zero.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Really zero?

of course he doesnt have to use the exact phrase "I am the Son of God"

I am God's/Jehovah's/Yaweh's/ son/child/offspring etc

would do. Anything where he makes it clear he is unlike others, the special child of God, as opposed to saying "I am one of Gods children, as are we all" or words to that effect.

Are you sure you are sticking with zero?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:08 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Really zero?

of course he doesnt have to use the exact phrase "I am the Son of God"

I am God's/Jehovah's/Yaweh's/ son/child/offspring etc

would do. Anything where he makes it clear he is unlike others, the special child of God, as opposed to saying "I am one of Gods children, as are we all" or words to that effect.

Are you sure you are sticking with zero?

Steve,

No, in that case, I'm not sticking with zero. But, I also won't give you an answer without at least trying to research it. You took the time to explain what you wanted so I will take the time to do my best.

Deal?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:10 pm
http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/s/1127844452-8688.html#below
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:14 pm

Frank,

Thanx so much for that link! Added to my favorites. Steve, I need to read through that and count them up. Will get back to you!

Thanx again, Frank!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:18 pm
thanks Frank

Still couldnt find Jesus using that phrase about himself, though.

MA Sure its a deal, dont want you burning the midnight oil on my behalf though!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:20 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
thanks Frank

Still couldnt find Jesus using that phrase about himself, though.

MA Sure its a deal, dont want you burning the midnight oil on my behalf though!

Steve,

No worry there. I always burn the midnight oil. I am an insomniac so it will just give me something to do!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:02 am
We protestants are taught that jesus never claimed divinity. Myself, I have come across one place in the bible where he might be hinting at it though. But personally I do not believe that he called himself the son of god in any other context than that we are all sons and daughters of god.

That is my facination with jesus. He was a man, exposed to the same reality as everyone else, and subjected to the same environment as his contemporaries, yet he didn't succumb to the darker side of his humanity even though he was given rich oportunity. A man defeating his manhood and claiming his humanity.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 06:27 am
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice. So Jesus never claimed to be divine? So how come Christianity is founded on the premise that God sent his Son to die for our sins?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Curiouser and curiouser said Alice. So Jesus never claimed to be divine? So how come Christianity is founded on the premise that God sent his Son to die for our sins?

Steve,

Does it matter that Christ did not claim Himself to be divine in the words "I am the Son of God and I am Divine?" For me, when Christ was baptized by John the Baptist and God said, "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased," that's good enough. God would not have a Son that isn't divine. That would just make Him another creation and not part of Him.

I was really hoping you weren't trying to rope "us" in with this question, but I feel a slight tug around my neck.

I guess my question to those that believe Jesus was only a man is this, exactly why is it that you don't believe He is the son of God? (If that is exactly what you don't believe. I can only go by these posts.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:34 am
Well I'm not trying to play tricks or anything MA

It started with your tagline from John 3.16.

That is one sentence, and all i am trying to do is look at it logically.

Personally I dont think Jesus the man was anything like the image of Jesus we are given from childhood. That is not to say all men perhaps have a spark of the divine in them, but that is irrelevant to my analysis.

First we must accept the existence of God...For the purposes of this argument thats a given.

Then God "So loved the world". Well ok. Again for the sake of argument. (There is a mighty big assumption here. Many people have come to quite different conclusions about the character of God)

He gave his only begotten son etc.

So at the root of it is that God gave to man the thing that is most precious to Him, i.e. the life of his own Son, so that man can be saved (if he believes).

Any normal person would have to be impressed with an idea that was so important that someone (in this case God) was willing to give the life of his own child for it.

But perhaps less so if the "son" was no relation. Or if the sacrifice was a goat, or just some money in a tin.

The affect is lost if the Father Son relation is missing. And yet apparantly nowhere do we have Jesus claiming to be divine.

(Thats not to say you cant believe in him as divine, thats religion, I'm just trying to look at the actual words and trying to draw some conclusions).

So what do I conclude? Just that its strange that the central tenet of Christianity..the divinity of Christ...is not more forcibly established in the Bible. Other people say he was divine, then others elaborate on that. But if you just look at what Jesus actually claimed for himself it appears to be a different story.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:50 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Well I'm not trying to play tricks or anything MA

It started with your tagline from John 3.16.

That is one sentence, and all i am trying to do is look at it logically.

Personally I dont think Jesus the man was anything like the image of Jesus we are given from childhood. That is not to say all men perhaps have a spark of the divine in them, but that is irrelevant to my analysis.

First we must accept the existence of God...For the purposes of this argument thats a given.

Then God "So loved the world". Well ok. Again for the sake of argument. (There is a mighty big assumption here. Many people have come to quite different conclusions about the character of God)

He gave his only begotten son etc.

So at the root of it is that God gave to man the thing that is most precious to Him, i.e. the life of his own Son, so that man can be saved (if he believes).

Any normal person would have to be impressed with an idea that was so important that someone (in this case God) was willing to give the life of his own child for it.

But perhaps less so if the "son" was no relation. Or if the sacrifice was a goat, or just some money in a tin.

The affect is lost if the Father Son relation is missing. And yet apparantly nowhere do we have Jesus claiming to be divine.

(Thats not to say you cant believe in him as divine, thats religion, I'm just trying to look at the actual words and trying to draw some conclusions).

So what do I conclude? Just that its strange that the central tenet of Christianity..the divinity of Christ...is not more forcibly established in the Bible. Other people say he was divine, then others elaborate on that. But if you just look at what Jesus actually claimed for himself it appears to be a different story.

Steve,

I am glad you were not trying to rope me in. I really am. And please forgive I even had the thought you might be.

Actually, you have pointed out something that a lot of people have been missing. You seem to understand that the importance of Christ to God had to be great in order for the gift to really mean something. Kudos, my friend! Yes! If Christ were just a mere man, there would be no discussion as we are having.

Also, if Christ died from a firing squad, natural disease, etc., would anyone have paid much attention to it? I don't think so. His death was horrific. His life was perfect. Would anyone have noticed Him if He was a mere man? Think of the scale we are talking about here. Sure, there are other prophets, great men, teachers, etc., that have come up through the ages with wisdom and knowledge and humanity to spare. But, in relation to Christ, how widespread are they?

It would seem to me, logically speaking, that if so many for so long have shared the same (relatively speaking) story of Christ, then there just may (?) be some truth to it? That is logically speaking.

Now, as a Christian, I don't rely fully on logic. I believe the logic of man is flawed because man is flawed. I rely on my "heart", if you will, to lead me. I believe that God speaks to us in our hearts (figuratively, of course) and that is what makes my belief in Him as strong as it is.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Now, as a Christian, I don't rely fully on logic.

And the word "fully" in that sentence serves what purpose? Twisted Evil

(That was a joke, MA!)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
I can't say I can share your faith MA but I respect its probably the most important thing to you. And more importantly I do believe your faith pushes you in a direction we can all recognise as "good".

The problem as I see it is that some religious ideas can be taken to the extreme where following a particular interpretation of "God's will" is taken as justification or even the inspiration for doing great harm.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
Frank,

LMBO! Taken as a joke! No problem!

Steve,

I appreciate that comment and I agree with you 100% concerning ..."God's" will is taken as justification or even the inspiration for doing great harm. I believe that just common sense alone should tell "those" that follow that extreme that it is wrong. The Bible tells us that we are to follow the laws of the land. I don't know any laws that say it's okay to take an airplane and kill thousands in the name of God. Unfortunately, God is often blamed for the misinterpretations that man makes.

So, I'm with you on that one all the way!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Not to derail an otherwise brilliant summation on your part Steve. Been doing a bit of searching:

John 10:36 "..do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'? " Jesus speaking.

John 19:7 "The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law he ought to die, because he has made himself the Son of God.""

Matthew 27:40 "He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him; for he said, 'I am the Son of God.'""

The last two are reports of what he said, which of course can be called into question in so far as their credibility. The first however is apparently an admission of something he has said himself. Slim, yes, but there nonetheless.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
But I might call to your attention, Questioner and Steve...

...that the Jesus Seminars...

...a group of Christian theologists and thinkers, including bishops...

...have pretty much concluded that almost every words supposedly spoken by Jesus in the Gospel of John...

...more than likely was never spoken by him at all.
0 Replies