Who is the worst actress ever?

cyphercat

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:34 pm
nimh wrote:
Chances that we'll have heard of the worst actress ever are rather minute, no?

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps it should have a qualifier-- worst actress who has "Made It."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:39 pm
I didn't like Wayne's acting before I knew about his politics.

I'll admit to conceivably being wrong about Reynolds, as far as actually being bad.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:13 pm
Merry Andrew, (The following comments are about acting and pertain to male actors and female actors)

John Wayne was a personality actor. Most of his roles were similar and called for similar movements and body language. They were very similar regardless of the role he played. His vocal acting, too, were very similar from role-to-similar-role. As were his vocal deliveries. Comstantine Stanislavski who founded ths Moscow Art theatre is considered the guru of acting in the 20th century. His first precept was: An actor's body and vocal abilities should be highly trained. Consider the approach to acting practiced by Laurence Olivier. He was said to have arrived at the first reheasal with the character's walk down pat and all his lines learned.

Regardless of my opinion, I think The Quiet Man is one hell of a movie and I like Wayne in it.

One of my favorite movies is "The Quiet Man."

And, he was a damn good personality actor, but limited in his ability to create distinct and different characters.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:15 pm
Merry Andrew, (The following comments are about acting and pertain to male actors and female actors)

John Wayne was a personality actor. Most of his roles were similar and called for similar movements and body language. They were very similar regardless of the role he played. His vocal acting, too, were very similar from role-to-similar-role. As were his vocal deliveries. Comstantine Stanislavski who founded ths Moscow Art theatre is considered the guru of acting in the 20th century. His first precept was: An actor's body and vocal abilities should be highly trained. Consider the approach to acting practiced by Laurence Olivier. He was said to have arrived at the first reheasal with the character's walk down pat and all his lines learned.

Regardless of my opinion, I think The Quiet Man is one hell of a movie and I like Wayne in it.

And, he was a damn good personality actor, but limited in his ability to create distinct and different characters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
Even I liked the Quiet Man, impressionable irish familied girl in America that I was.

The man was a board. An icon eventually, but a board.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:21 pm
But, now here's a thought, were the early irish in america less flexible folk?

My family is rather stiff-ish, including me.

Acting that has ever attracted me has held movement, nuances of movement.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:05 am
BillyFalcon wrote:

That's a good point, BillyFalcon. But Wayne's very personal acting style was in no way significantly different from the style of most male leading stars of his generation. The exact same thing could be said for such "beloved" stars as Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, Clark Gable etc. etc. etc. Nobody villifies them as bad actors, however, because they were likeable off-screen as well as on.

I, too, loved The Quiet Man. And, imo only, he did a fine job in The Sands of Iwo Jima, an above average war movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm
Madonna redeemed herself as "Evita," actually having to act with a muscally recitative score -- her Evita is exemplary.

John Wayne is easily the worst male actress ever.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:17 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

There's a joke in there somewhere, right? Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:28 pm
Marlee Matlin.

I mean, what is with that accent?

(With due respect to the episode of Extras where Kate Winslet talks dirty to tubby and -- more to the point -- there are a series of faux pas (how do you pluralize that, you Francophones?) around a woman with cerebral palsy.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:34 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Madonna redeemed herself as "Evita," actually having to act with a muscally recitative score -- her Evita is exemplary.

For the very first time since we've known each other, LW, I have to disgree with you. But I do appreciate your choice of words. Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
Looks like everyone forgot Vanna White's debut as an actress. Pee U, she stunk. She was so bad you couldn't even laugh, it was painful.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
Thanks to Lighwizard for the invaluable term "male actress"--I think I'd go with Ronald Reagan. He spent eight years portraying a president, and there wasn't a minute of those eight years that you could really believe him in the part.

And my god no one has mentioned William Shatner. I ask you, who would you rather have in command of your starship, James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard?

Cappucine was also Peter Sellers's wife in the first Pink Panther movie too, I think, and she actually did a decent job of it--between David Niven, Claudia Cardinale, and Robert Wagner, that one was really a hamfest.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:18 am
eoe wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

There's a joke in there somewhere, right? Confused

Take the title of this discussion, the off-track insertion of John Wayne who is decidedly not a female (???!!!!) and mix it with an oxymoron.

Well, hint, hint, it's a "worst actress" thread although that terminlogy is now out-of-style because of being politically incorrect. Female "actresses" are also now referred to as actors.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
Well, we don't call women doctors, doctoressess.....the John Wayne remark was just a joke, actually the worst actress was Rock Hudson, and that you can take to the bank.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:01 pm
Chains of tragedy. William Holden loved Audrey Hepburn after appearing with her in 'Sabrina' but she refused to marry him as he has vasectomy. She wanted a child so. Cappucine in turn loved William Holden when they appeared together in a movie the name of which escapes me. She committed suicide in the '90s.

Debbie Reynolds was married to Eddie Fisher but upon Elizabeth Taylor's producer husband's death she married Eddie. Debbie's child with Eddie is Carrie Fisher who starred in 'Star Wars' as Princess Leia(?). Debbie subsequently married Karl something who tricked her out of her fortune.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:26 pm
I didn't know all that - re Capucine/Cappucine. Good grief.

I was more interested in Bogarde than Bogart, but, hey. At the time I watched those movies, believe it or not, I didn't have any clue about homosexuality or bisexuality, or, indeed, any kind of sexuality, though that is around the time I read Kinsey and hid it under my bed. See the blank slate Catholic girl looking at movies.

On Karl, that was the last name, something like Harry Karl..

I sound quite stupid here. Think of me as a kid reading Variety and Reporter, understanding nothing.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:33 am
She killed herself by jumping off the apartment building shortly after Holden died when he fell in a drunken state and his head hit the sharp edge of the stairs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:42 am
Hmmm. Much I don't know...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 09:38 am
I didn't think Rock was so bad, especially in the comedies he did with Doris Day.
0 Replies