"I COULD care less" or "I COULDN'T care less" Which is it?

JTT

Fri 4 May, 2012 08:22 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
But regarding the phrase in question, even if "negation by association" ends up with most of the world using the phrase "could care less", that doesn't change the fact that it is logically messed up.

I don't think you fully understand negation in language.

I think you don't fully understand negation in language.

I'm not sure Om understands negation in language.

I'm sure Om doesn't understand negation in language.

Quote:
According to this, if the majority of the worlds population decided that 2+2=5, that would be correct.

That's not a good comparison, C. Language, thru use, creates its own logic. There are numerous examples, such as the ones above, that illustrate this.

izzythepush

Fri 4 May, 2012 08:36 am
@JTT,
Just as long as you don't get too het up about it.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 4 May, 2012 09:49 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Quote:
I don’t know why people who set themselves up as authorities, like OmSig including some editors, don’t bother to look at actual reference works on usage, but instead just pour out their personal tastes, largely based on dimly remembered bits of lore they picked up in school. Why no glance at all at MWDEU, which has thoughtful, and scholarly, discussions of almost all of the points on Gingerich’s list?
Instead, we get blinkered pig-ignorance.

http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/on-the-garmmra-watch/
It is "On the garmmra watch"
that JTT is quoting, above.
Its difficult to see how much of this
is offered in pure humor.

JTT, is lying,
in that he asserts FALSELY that I am among those
"who set themselves up as authorities". I never, never did that.

I merely argued the logic of sentences,
the same as adding a row of numbers.

In any case, it matters NOT in THE LEAST,
how many people make an error.
It remains an error, no matter how popular it is.
Presumably, there was a time when almost everyone
believed that the Earth was flat; it remained a false belief.
Back then, the Earth was round ANYWAY,
regardless of how many people believed otherwise.

Before the Wright Bros. flite at Kitty Hawk in 1903,
fine minds of the science establishment were adamant in DENYING
that heavier-than-air flite was possible
(regardless of the experience of the birds & the bees, who do not float away, at rest).

The popularity of their belief did not make it less false, JTT.

David
OmSigDAVID

Fri 4 May, 2012 09:52 am
@Cyracuz,
JTT wrote:
You're not telling me anything new, C.
Cyracuz wrote:
Good to hear. Smile

But regarding the phrase in question, even if "negation by association" ends up with most of the world using the phrase "could care less", that doesn't change the fact that it is logically messed up. I've never been one to follow the crowd off a cliff.
According to this, if the majority of the worlds population decided that 2+2=5, that would be correct.
WELL SAID!!!
I join in your observations, Cyracuz.

David
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Fri 4 May, 2012 11:13 am
@JTT,
Quote:

Perhaps. But I know that the two phrases you I quoted above are two ways to communicate something, and that both are consistent with the logic of language. In both those phrases you use a negative to communicate the same thing. It's differently placed in each, but that doesn't matter. It's a bit like saying 5 - 3 = 2 or 2 = 5 -3... It amounts to the same thing.

"I couldn't care less" is consistent with the logic of language.

"I could care less" is not consistent with the logic of language.

In "could care less" you have not simply moved the negative from one place to another. You have removed it completely.

It would be like swapping a - for a + in an equation and expecting the answer to remain unchanged.

Quote:
Language, thru use, creates its own logic.

Perhaps. But "could care less" as meaning "couldn't care less" is not an example of that. No matter how you spin it, it is not logical. At best it is a cultural fashion, but it is not consistent with the logic of language, nor will it ever be.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 4 May, 2012 11:20 am
@Cyracuz,
The problem is in JTT's mind,
in that he explicitly rejects logic; that 's OK with him.

In JTT's imagination, popularity is preferable to accurate logic.
From that: I dissent.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 4 May, 2012 11:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It is "On the garmmra watch"
that JTT is quoting, above.
Its difficult to see how much of this
is offered in pure humor.

There is a lot of humor involved, Om, and it's all found in pointing out the lunacies offered by idiots, like you, on grammar issues. But really, there's not much sense in grammatical incompetents like you reading these things - you simply don't understand, you are ignorant [consciously] in the workings of language.

Quote:
JTT, is lying,

You are the one that is lying, Sig. You wrote here of telling some young gentlemen - was it your brothers??? - of the mistake they were making, I believe, it was the 'everyone/their' canard.

When I pointed out that you were flat out wrong, you continued in your nonsense, continued to assert that you were right. In fact you do this kind of thing on a regular basis, setting yourself up as a language/grammar expert despite all indications to the contrary.

Quote:

Odd that you should bring up another tangent instead of addressing the language issues, Dave. That's just not like you. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But I'm glad you brought it up because it actually describes people like you who keep trumpeting these silly prescriptions. You folks are the flat earthers, you are the phrenologists and you, the big conservative, don't even see how hypocritical you are.

These "rules" you parrot were simply wholesale changes, fashionable changes, made to the language in the 17th & 18th centuries. These prescriptions were never part of the English language.

But it's tribute to your intelligence that you are so enamored of these silly little rules. It illustrates that you are caught in your own silly argument that you "conservatives" never deviate from the status quo.
JTT

Fri 4 May, 2012 11:35 am
@Cyracuz,

Quote:
Perhaps. But I know that the two phrases you I quoted above are two ways to communicate something, and that both are consistent with the logic of language. In both those phrases you use a negative to communicate the same thing. It's differently placed in each, but that doesn't matter.

Putting aside issues of nuance, how can you suggest that "I don't think" communicates the same thing as "I think". Following your, Om's and others line of reasoning, that's just plain illogical, C.

If a person doesn't think, then how can that person make a comment upon another's degree of knowledge. Moreover, how can that "I don't think ... ." hold the same meaning as the positive, "I think ... ."?

The same folk who complain about could care less complain about double negatives, using the silly notion that language should follow the rules of math. Isn't that rather silly? It doesn't take a genius to grasp that language is not math.

Quote:
But "could care less" as meaning "couldn't care less" is not an example of that. No matter how you spin it, it is not logical. At best it is a cultural fashion, but it is not consistent with the logic of language, nor will it ever be.

Not "perhaps", for sure, C. I don't have to spin anything. You folks are the ones trying to spin things, you folks are the ones you attempt to deny reality. I've given an example, above, that illustrates that this happens in language, in English in particular - a negative and a positive that express the same meaning.

There were other examples, I believe they were in the article.

S could give a damn/a rat's ass/a ****/a fat ****/a **** ... . These mean the same things as the negative form S couldn't give ... .

Cyracuz

Fri 4 May, 2012 12:05 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Putting aside issues of nuance, how can you suggest that "I don't think" communicates the same thing as "I think". Following your, Om's and others line of reasoning, that's just plain illogical, C.

It is. It is your illogical interpretation of those phrases. You can't cut them there. You have to say either I don't think you understand, or I think you don't understand, because the word don't relates to either think or understand, thereby communicating roughly the same sentiment.

Quote:
The same folk who complain about could care less complain about double negatives, using the silly notion that language should follow the rules of math. Isn't that rather silly? It doesn't take a genius to grasp that language is not math.

Well, math is language. And it works because we follow the rules, same as any other language. The ambiguity of word language is problematical under the best of circumstances, and we really don't need foolish, illogical twists to add to the confusion.

Quote:
You folks are the ones trying to spin things, you folks are the ones you attempt to deny reality.

Not at all. I've said many times that people with poorly developed intellect mess up language, and you keep proving it.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 4 May, 2012 03:58 pm
@JTT,
DAVID wrote:
JTT, is lying,
JTT wrote:
You are the one that is lying, Sig. You wrote here of telling
some young gentlemen - was it your brothers??? - of the mistake
they were making, I believe, it was the 'everyone/their' canard.
Sometimes, I point out mistakes.

JTT wrote:
When I pointed out that you were flat out wrong, you continued in your nonsense,
That 's because your demented babling counts for nothing.

JTT wrote:
continued to assert that you were right.
In fact you do this kind of thing on a regular basis,
setting yourself up as a language/grammar expert
despite all indications [Your "indications" r in your delusions, J. David] to the contrary.
Pointing out a mistake is NOT
setting yourself up as an authority.
Even fools can point out mistakes.

DAVID wrote:

Odd that you should bring up another tangent instead of addressing the language issues, Dave. That's just not like you. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes[/quote]U 'd get the point, if u were of healthier mind
and if u were more intelligent.

David

0 Replies

JTT

Fri 4 May, 2012 07:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
It is. It is your illogical interpretation of those phrases. You can't cut them there. You have to say either I don't think you understand, or I think you don't understand, because the word don't relates to either think or understand, thereby communicating roughly the same sentiment.

It's not my interpretation, C. It's yours and Om's and all the other idiots who say that a positive and a negative can't hold the same meaning when you come right out and state that they can.

I notice that you have ignored all the other examples I gave of similar idioms found in the English language.

And I notice that Om has failed to address the language issue at all, just as he always does. I also noticed that Om admitted to lying, but he does that with alarming frequency.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 4 May, 2012 10:04 pm

In the past, JTT implied that a man 's sentence shud be judged
by whatever he is secretly thinking about it,
if his use of language is popular, as distinct from what he actually SAYS.

I hold everyone to account for what he objectively SAYS,
regardless of what he is privately thinking,
and regardless of what any number of other people r saying about it.
U know what a sentence means BY PARSING IT.

David
Cyracuz

Sat 5 May, 2012 05:57 am
@JTT,
Quote:
It's not my interpretation, C. It's yours and Om's and all the other idiots who say that a positive and a negative can't hold the same meaning when you come right out and state that they can.

No. You said this:

Quote:
If a person doesn't think, then how can that person make a comment upon another's degree of knowledge. Moreover, how can that "I don't think ... ." hold the same meaning as the positive, "I think ... ."?

...which clearly demonstrates that you don't know how to approach this issue. The confusion comes from your inability to understand how the words fit together to form the meanings.

Quote:
S could give a damn/a rat's ass/a ****/a fat ****/a **** ... . These mean the same things as the negative form S couldn't give ... .

These are just more examples of barely literate people cluttering up language by using phrases they don't fully understand.
I am not saying that these phrases aren't common. I am just saying that they do not conform to the logic of the English language.
Besides, the correct phrases in those cases would be I don't give a damn/a rat's ass/a ****/a fat ****/a ****

Anyone using the phrase "I could give a damn" in any social gathering with people beyond high school education would be considered an idiot, same as anyone using the phrase "I could care less". But hey, if you want to go around displaying your lacking English skills, feel free.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 5 May, 2012 07:23 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

No. You said this:

Quote:

...which clearly demonstrates that you don't know how to approach this issue. The confusion comes from your inability to understand how the words fit together to form the meanings.

Quote:

These are just more examples of barely literate people cluttering up language by using phrases they don't fully understand.
I am not saying that these phrases aren't common. I am just saying that they do not conform to the logic of the English language.
Besides, the correct phrases in those cases would be I don't give a damn/a rat's ass/a ****/a fat ****/a ****

Anyone using the phrase "I could give a damn" in any social gathering with people beyond high school education would be considered an idiot, same as anyone using the phrase "I could care less". But hey, if you want to go around displaying your lacking English skills, feel free.
I join in your elegantly and eloquently expressed opinions.

David
Cyracuz

Sat 5 May, 2012 07:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Your company is welcome. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 5 May, 2012 10:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
U know what a sentence means BY PARSING IT.

Yeah, right.
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 5 May, 2012 10:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
In the past, JTT implied that a man 's sentence shud be judged
by whatever he is secretly thinking about it,
if his use of language is popular, as distinct from what he actually SAYS.

Another of Om's lies or, possibly his severe inability to grasp meaning.
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 5 May, 2012 10:34 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
No. You said this:

What Cyracuz suggests I wrote:

You have pulled that portion in italics out of context, Cyracuz. The part in bold points to what was being said and by whom. That's either dishonesty on your part, an inability to read or follow a line of reasoning.

Quote:

You've again illustrated your ignorance with the underlined sentence. These are exceedingly common and they are not used by Rhodes scholars, linguists, all manner of people in fact for one pointed reason - they follow the logic of the English language perfectly.

You obviously don't understand the workings of the English language. I've given you a perfect example, one you and all the other idiots use all the time - I think/I don't think - which illustrates that a positive and a negative can hold the same meanings, though there are nuances involved.

Quote:

That's a real lame attempt to shine a light on your ignorance, C. In a study, the linguist, William Labov, found that the most ungrammatical language was found in the most educated. Those with high school education and less were much better.

But hey, if you want to go around displaying your woeful ignorance of language and the workings of language, be my guest.

What's next in your dog and pony show - ranting about how it's illogical to use 'you' instead of 'thee/thou'?

Cyracuz

Sat 5 May, 2012 10:41 am
@JTT,
Quote:
You have pulled that portion in italics out of context, Cyracuz. That's either dishonesty on your part, an inability to read or follow a line of reasoning.

No JTT. I quoted the full paragraph in which you said that, leaving nothing out. This is a matter of record, or as some scrubs like to say; scroll up and re-read.

I think I've made my position clear, and I see no purpose in repeating it. I think perhaps your position is a matter of cultural coloring of language. Most people understand what is meant by "could care less" because of common cultural heritage. That doesn't mean that it is grammatically or logically sound.
JTT

Sat 5 May, 2012 05:06 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
No JTT. I quoted the full paragraph in which you said that, leaving nothing out. This is a matter of record, or as some scrubs like to say; scroll up and re-read.

That's a good plan, C, scroll up and see that you missed,

Following your, Om's and others line of reasoning, that's just plain illogical, C.

Then I went on to describe how you, Om and others mistakenly see the possible relationship between positive and negative sentences or even a simple reply like "Yeah, right" which can mean a 'yes/agreement' or 'no/disagreement'.

Quote:
I think I've made my position clear, and I see no purpose in repeating it. I think perhaps your position is a matter of cultural coloring of language. Most people understand what is meant by "could care less" because of common cultural heritage. That doesn't mean that it is grammatically or logically sound.

That's what I have explained to you time and again, that language is what people make of it. That is the only logic that matters because language can't be compared to math or anything else. Language is language.

As the linguist Dwight Bollinger said, and I paraphrase, The only measure of correctness in language is what is common in a broad sense. To argue against that would mean that rules existed before language, which is a nonsensical notion.

But I've gone beyond that standard and shown you how this is not the only example of that type of pattern. Your position is simply another prescriptive foot stamping exercise, that you must note, has no basis in reality. Prescriptions are never reality based.

0 Replies