"I COULD care less" or "I COULDN'T care less" Which is it?

JTT

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:01 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
There are two distinctly different meanings of "could" and "couldn't".

There are two distinctly different meanings of "Yeah right" and "Yeah right".

There are two distinctly different meanings of "You know" and "You don't know" and yet there is only one meaning for both "You know squat" and "You don't know squat".

Why are you still having so much trouble understanding the meaning of the word 'idiom', Cyracuz?

You don't have to read mighty tomes like The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language to see how wrong you are. All you have to do is check a dictionary.

JTT

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:08 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
That phrase ["couldn't care less"] is an idiom, but to say "could care less" is merely a failed attempt to use it.

Excuse my frankness but you idiots, in complete defiance of reality, keep on with this nonsense.

'could care less' is every bit as much an idiom as is "couldn't care less".

There is but one actual, physical, real meaning for 'kick the bucket'. But there exists [that's the operative word that seems to escape otherwise sensible folk] an idiomatic meaning for 'kick the bucket' that doesn't come anywhere close to the physical, actual, real meaning.

Has this begun to sink in yet?
Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:52 pm
@JTT,
What you are doing is trying to justify a mistake by disguising it as an idiom.

There is a vast difference between an idiom like "kick the bucket" and what we are discussing here.
"Could care less" is a failed attempt to use the idiom "couldn't care less", same as if I said "bucket the kick" that would be a failed attempt to use the idiom "kick the bucket".

By the way, even your claim that "couldn't care less" is an idiom suggests to me that you know you have it wrong but are trying to salvage some sense of self importance regarding language or whatever. There is a quite literal meaning to that phrase, and the meaning doesn't come from some cultural or social knowledge, as is the case with the idiom "kick the bucket". It comes from the meaning of the words used. If you use it the other way it means the oposite. Simple as that. This has nothing to do with idioms.

Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:56 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
there is only one meaning for both "You know squat" and "You don't know squat".

One means "you know nothing", the other means "you don't know anything". Amounts to the same, but there is a difference. And this example is not comparable to the other phrase, in which the different words actually alters the meaning of it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:03 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

There is a vast difference between an idiom like "kick the bucket" and what we are discussing here.
"Could care less" is a failed attempt to use the idiom "couldn't care less", same as if I said "bucket the kick" that would be a failed attempt to use the idiom "kick the bucket".
YES; your observation is quite accurate.
It was a corruption (by carelessly minded people
to whom accuracy of reasoning meant little)
of the concept of not being able to care less than he already
did not care, because his interest was ZERO.

To a large extent (less than 1OO%) the rules of English grammar are very logical.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:23 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:

What you are trying to do is deny reality, Cyracuz. It's an idiom.

Quote:

Again, in complete defiance of reality. You know squat/**** about language = You don't know squat/**** about language.

Quote:
It comes from the meaning of the words used. If you use it the other way it means the oposite.

The above has proved you wrong.

Perhaps you had better get yourself on down to the library and read a mighty tome on how language works. Check

Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:28 pm
@JTT,
JTT
I know how language works. You put words together so that they make sense and communicate something of value. Or they don't make sense, in which case we generally conclude that the person doing the stringing together of words is somewhat dim witted.
Either way, you can not escape the fact that "I could care less" communicates the exact opposite of what the intended meaning is. The more you try the more ridiculous it gets.

If you can show me one single idiom in which the words used communicate the exact opposite of what the idiom means, I will tell you that the idiom serves to confuse and degenerate peoples understanding of the logic which is the foundation of grammar.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:38 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
JTT
I know how language works. You put words together so that they make sense and communicate something of value. Or they don't make sense, in which case we generally conclude that the person doing the stringing together of words is somewhat dim witted.
Either way, you can not escape the fact that "I could care less" communicates the exact opposite of what the intended meaning is. The more you try the more ridiculous it gets.

If you can show me one single idiom in which the words used communicate the exact opposite of what the idiom means, I will tell you that the idiom serves to confuse and degenerate peoples understanding of the logic which is the foundation of grammar.
Your reasoning is irrefutable.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
Obviously, you don't know how language works, Cyracuz, because you are trying to describe a situation that has no basis in reality. It's just that simple. You know exactly what the meaning of "could care less" is yet you persist in suggesting that it has a meaning which does not exist in NaE.

Again, excuse my frankness but that is dim witted.

Quote:

Yeah right, Cyracuz.

izzythepush

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

A lot of people over here use double negatives. I didn't do nothing, we don't have no tomatoes. Would that class as an example?
OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Cyracuz wrote:
izzythepush wrote:

A lot of people over here use double negatives. I didn't do nothing, we don't have no tomatoes.
That is a denial of the state of being tomatoless.

It is an assertion that thay possess tomatos.

David
izzythepush

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You wouldn't be the first to criticise the contradictory idiom of the local vernacular. The meaning defies logic, but it is not logical, it's emotional, the double negative reenforces the meaning. Sometimes language responds to emotion every bit as much as it responds to logic.

If someone focuses on logic too much, they lack emotional maturity and accountability. Eventually they kiss reason goodbye. I'm sorry to say this Dave, but you're a classic example, totally barking. You say incredibly outrageous things just to get a reaction.

I think the most provocative thing you ever said, was that you didn't think Dick Cheney would shoot you in the face. You can't get more delusional than that, as if Cheney would ever miss an opportunity to shoot someone in the face. It's his thing, sort of like a catchphrase.
JTT

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 02:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Izzy wrote: I didn't do nothing, we don't have no tomatoes.

Quote:
Dave mistakenly asserts: That is a denial of the state of being tomatoless.

You know that you are completely bonkers when you suggest such inane notions, Om, and yet on you go, parading your ignorance all over the place.

If the "logic" that you claim to be using, that double negatives make a positive, then that would be the case for all languages. Yet there are language that use double negation in the same way that it is used in nonstandard English, that is, negative concord.

Read on, that you may no longer wallow in ignorance.

Quote:

Lingua
Franca

October 10, 1998

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/ling/stories/lf981010.htm

Giving Up on Double Negation

However, Orwell's hostility to the not unjustifiable construction I've just mentioned, pales into insignificance beside the hostility that well-educated speakers of English feel toward a completely different phenomenon also called double negation, and that's the kind of negation illustrated in Cockney, by 'I didn't see nuffink'. This, educated people think, is mere ignorance.

Anyone with a logical bone in their head should be able to see, they maintain, that if you did not see nothing, then that means you did see something. If you claim that you didn't see nothing when you mean that you did see nothing, you are ignorant and unworthy and should be sent back to whatever awful school was responsible for the teaching you clearly didn't get.

Well, this is a thoroughly misdiagnosed situation. Let me explain how a linguist looks at the phenomenon in question. There is in fact only one negation in 'I didn't see nuffink', as used by Cockneys or working-class Australians or black Americans or anyone else who uses this device. It's the negative of 'I saw somefink', and what differentiates Cockney from Standard English has been entirely misidentified by calling it double negation.

Here it is, somewhat over-simplified: Standard English has three separate versions of the item whose positive version is 'something'. I am referring to the words 'something', 'nothing', and 'anything'. The first of these, 'something', is used in positive contexts, as in 'I saw something'; the second, 'nothing', is used to create negative clauses, as in 'I saw nothing'; and the third is used nearly everywhere else: in negative clauses like 'I didn't see anything', in conditional clauses like 'If I saw anything', in questions, like 'Did you see anything?' and various other contexts.

Cockney differs in one simple respect: the second and third versions are not distinguished. It's as if we had a language that was just like English but with 'anything' and 'nothing' pronounced the same. That's all that's going on.

The mistake is in seeing a mistake. This kind of usage is not a mistake. It's a form of words that is characteristic of many languages, including Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian and Cockney, but not Standard English. Linguists call it Negative Concord.

The Cambridge Grammar of English, I have decided, is not going to hush this up with a blush and a mumble and pass on as if embarrassed. It's going to great it seriously. It's going to explain, of course, that Negative Concord is not used in formal writing and should be avoided in all contexts where keeping up appearances is an issue.

But it is also going to explain how Negative Concord works, which is something like this: Everywhere you would get an 'any' word, like 'anything', 'anyone', 'anybody, 'anywhere', 'any', or the indefinite article 'a', Negative Concord languages require that you use the appropriate 'no' word instead. It doesn't matter how many there are in the sentence, this applies to all of them.

So if you take 'I don't want a linguist with a grammar book giving me any lectures about a proper way to speak to anybody', it comes out in Cockney or in a Negative Concord language, as 'I don't want no linguist with no grammar book giving me no lectures about no proper way to speak to nobody'.

That's not a sextuple negation, it's an ordinary single negation. But there are five indefinite words like 'a' and 'anybody' in there, and they all get pronounced in Cockney the same as the negative words 'no' and 'nobody'.

You have to learn this if you're going to make any claim to knowing English. Because if you believe that when the Rolling Stones play 'Satisfaction' and Mick Jagger sings 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' he is singing about how it is impossible for him not to be satisfied, you can't even understand rock 'n' roll.

A fully competent speaker of English knows how to work out the meaning of both 'I am unable to obtain any satisfaction' and 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction', and knows that the first of those would be suitable in a business letter and the second would be appropriate in personal conversation in a pub in Spitalfields or Pentonville.

A person who cannot understand Mick Jagger's lyrics, even if they are written out on a sheet of paper (nobody can understand much of it when he's singing, of course, is not a better English speaker, but a worse one.

The way I see it, real class in being an English speaker involves understanding both the Queen saying, 'My husband and I cannot imagine anything nicer', and a Cockney speaker saying, 'Me old man and me can't fink of nuffink nicer'. Real class is being knowledgeable about the diversity of English as well as sensitive to the nuances of the different varieties. The status-obsessed grumblers who complain about other people's double negations do not have class. There is nothing classy about insensitivity to the complexity of the linguistic world around us. If you pay attention to linguistic diversity and appreciate the variety in your language, you'll find you can't get no satisfaction.

OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:12 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Izzy wrote: I didn't do nothing, we don't have no tomatoes.

Quote:
Dave mistakenly asserts: That is a denial of the state of being tomatoless.

JTT wrote:
You know that you are completely bonkers

What the hell is a bonker????

JTT wrote:
when you suggest such inane notions, Om,
and yet on you go, parading your ignorance all over the place.
If I lack information, significant information, I am not slow to admit it; I never have been.
In this case,
I know not to what ignorance u refer.

JTT wrote:
If the "logic" that you claim to be using, that double negatives make a positive, then that would be the case for all languages.
I have little or no interest in OTHER languages.
I am not discussing OTHER languages.
Its odd that u bring up other languages.

JTT wrote:
Yet there are language that use double negation in the same way that it is used in nonstandard English, that is, negative concord.
Thay r probably not even American citizens.

JTT wrote:
Read on, that you may no longer wallow in ignorance.
OK, but I 'm sure that I will continue
to be ignorant of trillions of things, in this gallaxy and not.

Quote:

Lingua
Franca

October 10, 1998

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/ling/stories/lf981010.htm

Giving Up on Double Negation

However, Orwell's hostility to the not unjustifiable construction I've just mentioned, pales into insignificance beside the hostility that well-educated speakers of English feel toward a completely different phenomenon also called double negation, and that's the kind of negation illustrated in Cockney, by 'I didn't see nuffink'. This, educated people think, is mere ignorance.

Anyone with a logical bone in their head should be able to see, they maintain, that if you did not see nothing, then that means you did see something. If you claim that you didn't see nothing when you mean that you did see nothing, you are ignorant
NO.
I 'd hold him responsibile for what he SAID,
not for what he was secretly THINKING.
For instance, if he makes a contract with me,
then he shoud be bound by his uttered words,
not by his secret thoughts.

Quote:
and unworthy and should be sent back to whatever awful school was responsible for the teaching you clearly didn't get.
If the school was that bad,
then he shoud be sent to a BETTER one, not the unsuccessful one again.

Quote:
Well, this is a thoroughly misdiagnosed situation.
Let me explain how a linguist looks at the phenomenon in question.
There is in fact only one negation in 'I didn't see nuffink', as used by
Cockneys or working-class Australians or black Americans or anyone
else who uses this device. It's the negative of 'I saw somefink', and
what differentiates Cockney from Standard English has been entirely
misidentified by calling it double negation.
It sounds like the professional services of a competent translater r necessary.

Quote:
Here it is, somewhat over-simplified:
Standard English has three separate versions of the item whose positive version is 'something'. I am referring to the words 'something', 'nothing', and 'anything'. The first of these, 'something', is used in positive contexts, as in 'I saw something'; the second, 'nothing', is used to create negative clauses, as in 'I saw nothing'; and the third is used nearly everywhere else: in negative clauses like 'I didn't see anything', in conditional clauses like 'If I saw anything', in questions, like 'Did you see anything?' and various other contexts.

Cockney differs in one simple respect: the second and third versions
are not distinguished. It's as if we had a language that was just like
English but with 'anything' and 'nothing' pronounced the same.
That's all that's going on.
That can create results of hopeless
failures of communication.

Quote:
The mistake is in seeing a mistake. This kind of usage is not a mistake. It's a form of words that is characteristic of many languages, including Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian and Cockney, but not Standard English. Linguists call it Negative Concord.
If the underlying logic is not well represented, then the results r unintelligible.

Quote:
The Cambridge Grammar of English, I have decided, is not
going to hush this up with a blush and a mumble and pass on as if
embarrassed. It's going to great it seriously.
What the hell does THAT mean?????

Quote:
It's going to explain, of course, that Negative Concord
is not used in formal writing and should be avoided in all contexts
where keeping up appearances is an issue.

But it is also going to explain how Negative Concord works, which is
something like this: Everywhere you would get an 'any' word,
like 'anything', 'anyone', 'anybody, 'anywhere', 'any', or the indefinite
article 'a', Negative Concord languages require that you use the
appropriate 'no' word instead. It doesn't matter how many there
are in the sentence, this applies to all of them.
MY interest is limited to English, as a general rule.

Quote:
So if you take 'I don't want a linguist with a grammar book
giving me any lectures about a proper way to speak to anybody',
it comes out in Cockney or in a Negative Concord language, as
'I don't want no linguist with no grammar book giving me no lectures
about no proper way to speak to nobody'.
I re-iterate:
I will hold a man responsible for what he SAYS,
not for what he is secretly THINKING.
I need not concern myself with the errors of logic of alien languages.
I don't expect aliens to be very bright.

Quote:

That's not a sextuple negation, it's an ordinary single negation.
But there are five indefinite words like 'a' and 'anybody' in there,
and they all get pronounced in Cockney the same as the negative words 'no' and 'nobody'.

You have to learn this if you're going to make any claim to knowing English.
I dispute and reject that allegation.
I find no value nor merit therein.
I can know English very well without knowing any fragment of cockney.

Quote:
Because if you believe that when the Rolling Stones play
'Satisfaction' and Mick Jagger sings 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' he
is singing about how it is impossible for him not to be satisfied,
you can't even understand rock 'n' roll.
Fortunately, I have neither need nor desire to understand the mind of Mr. Jagger,
nor have I any interest in his needs.

Quote:
A fully competent speaker of English knows how to work out the meaning
of both 'I am unable to obtain any satisfaction' and 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction',
I reject this assertion,
finding no merit therein.

Quote:
and knows that the first of those would be suitable in a business letter
and the second would be appropriate in personal conversation
in a pub in Spitalfields or Pentonville.
Those places sound worthy of being avoided.

Quote:
A person who cannot understand Mick Jagger's lyrics, even if they
are written out on a sheet of paper (nobody can understand much of
it when he's singing, of course, is not a better English speaker, but a worse one.
That 's nonsense; that was probably written by the perverted mind of a collectivist.

Quote:
The way I see it, real class in being an English speaker involves understanding both the Queen saying, 'My husband and I cannot imagine anything nicer', and a Cockney speaker saying, 'Me old man and me can't fink of nuffink nicer'. Real class is being knowledgeable about the diversity of English as well as sensitive to the nuances of the different varieties. The status-obsessed grumblers who complain about other people's double negations do not have class. There is nothing classy about insensitivity to the complexity of the linguistic world around us. If you pay attention to linguistic diversity and appreciate the variety in your language, you'll find you can't get no satisfaction.
This is not reasoning.
It is mindless emotion.

A man shoud simply be held to the logic of his assertions.
It is not difficult to do that.

David

OmSigDAVID

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You wouldn't be the first to criticise the contradictory idiom of the local vernacular. The meaning defies logic, but it is not logical, it's emotional
Maybe competent TELEPATHS can be held to know
the secret thoughts of others' emotions; no one else.

izzythepush wrote:
the double negative reenforces the meaning. Sometimes language responds to emotion every bit as much as it responds to logic.
I can 't hold any man responsible for his EMOTIONS.
I can and will hold him responsible for the logic of his expressed words.

izzythepush wrote:
If someone focuses on logic too much, they lack emotional maturity and accountability. Eventually they kiss reason goodbye. I'm sorry to say this Dave, but you're a classic example, totally barking. You say incredibly outrageous things just to get a reaction.

I think the most provocative thing you ever said, was that you didn't think Dick Cheney would shoot you in the face. You can't get more delusional than that, as if Cheney would ever miss an opportunity to shoot someone in the face. It's his thing, sort of like a catchphrase.
U have fallen into foolishness,
for reasons whereof I know not.

I continue to hold him in the very highest esteem, above either of the Bushes.

Someone in his hunting party apparently moved from his earlier position
without the VP being aware of it, sustaining minor injuries,
from which he fully recovered. Accidents can happen to anyone.
I 'd be most honored indeed to take his hand in friendship.

David
izzythepush

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What the hell is a bonker????

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/39/285x214/59960_1.jpg

'I'm just organising a bonk now.'
Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:41 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You know exactly what the meaning of "could care less" is

Yes I do. It means "I care to such an extend that it is possible for me to care less"

"I couldn't care less", on the other hand means "I do not care at all, it is not possible for me to care less about this because I do not care".

So you see? Two distinctly different meanings. You suggesting that they mean the same is what is truly dim witted.

Let me paint the picture even clearer for you. Substitute the word "care" with "wear".
"I couldn't wear less". Would make sense if you were butt naked. You couldn't conceivably take off any clothes, because you aren't wearing any.

McTag

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
@Cyracuz,

How about "I couldn't stare less"?
Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
A lot of people over here use double negatives. I didn't do nothing, we don't have no tomatoes. Would that class as an example?

I guess it would.
Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't that a phenomenon that comes from people of lower education? Do you not agree that it degenerates peoples understanding of the logic which is the foundation of grammar?
Cyracuz

Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:50 pm
@McTag,
Works fine if you really can't focus, or if you have your eyes shut tight. Wink
0 Replies