Great American School Bus Myth Exposed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,189 • Replies: 98
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:34 am
2,000 school buses always seemed like a lot to me. But the point of all the conversations is not so much the number of buses, but the fact that they mostly sat there.

Granted, they could not have evacuated everyone, but I bet they could have gotten out a good many who wanted to leave but did not have means to leave.

Why we all just can't admit that mistakes were made at all levels of government is just beyond me. Fed, state and local governments all made mistakes here. Democrats, republicans, independents all made mistakes here. Black, white, hispanic and what not all made mistakes. It is ridiculous to read these threads where everyone is pointing fingers at just Bush, or just Nagin, or Brown or whoever. The idea now is to learn what went wrong and what can be done better the next time a massive storm hits, don't you think?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
The point is that the right-wing constantly lies to try to blame others for the Bush admin's failures.

In reality, the fact that Nagin was able to successfully evacuate 80% of the cityis remarkable. According to Time magazine, that is unprecedented. NOs evacuation plan worked flawlessly. One of the biggest fears of all evacuation planners is that a large portion of the evacuees would get stuck in gridlock. That did not happen thanks to Nagin's planning.

I give Nagin an overall C for his evacuation effort. Remember, Nagin does not have a blank check that would enable keeping 500 bus drivers on call for an evacuation even if he had been provided the buses to do it.

You Bush apologists always try to shif the blame but you never even think past your nose, even when it's a painted ping-pong ball.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
Wow.

("wow" both at the brazen lie and at the solid fact-finding by MediaMatters)
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
CoastalRat wrote:

Why we all just can't admit that mistakes were made at all levels of government is just beyond me.

There is quite a bit that is beyond you but personal shortcomings are not the topic. Nor is this a local NOLA forum. By and large, the people here can only affect change of Federal policy.

If you want to change things in NOLA, I suggest you move there. Won't be long before there will be plenty of busboy, doormen, dishwasher and food server jobs available there. And housing should be cheap.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:13 am
Chrissee wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Why we all just can't admit that mistakes were made at all levels of government is just beyond me.

There is quite a bit that is beyond you but personal shortcomings are not the topic. Nor is this a local NOLA forum. By and large, the people here can only affect change of Federal policy.

If you want to change things in NOLA, I suggest you move there. Won't be long before there will be plenty of busboy, doormen, dishwasher and food server jobs available there. And housing should be cheap.

You know, having any type of conversation with you is stupid because you are obviously incapable of any kind of thinking that goes beyond your "I am right and you are not" belief. Your response to anything that does not agree with you concerning this topic is for the other poster to move to NO.

I couldn't care less about changing things in NO. You are the one who talks about how things could have been different if the fed gov were more responsive, yet somehow you now turn around and say that changing things would require that I be a resident of NO. So which is it? Can the Fed Gov make things better next time, or must it be made better by the residents?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:25 am
Quote:
I couldn't care less about changing things in NO. You are the one who talks about how things could have been different if the fed gov were more responsive, yet somehow you now turn around and say that changing things would require that I be a resident of NO.

Uh, duh!!! I said that we (non-residents of Louisiana) can only affect change at the Federal level. It follows that the role of Louisiana in this disaster is irrelevant except as a device for the right-wing liars to shift the blame.

Yes, it is rather stupid for someone to argue with someone else who consistently proves them wrong. Gee, it must really suck to be a Bush Crime Family apologist but you made your own bed. LOL

OTOH it may be stupid for a critical thinker like myself to argue with people who woefully lack the skills.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
Anyone else care to defend the lying liars who lie?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:31 am
CoastalRat wrote:
2,000 school buses always seemed like a lot to me. But the point of all the conversations is not so much the number of buses, but the fact that they mostly sat there.

Granted, they could not have evacuated everyone, but I bet they could have gotten out a good many who wanted to leave but did not have means to leave.

Still, I think it is somehow important to get the numbers right. When I read the number of 2000 unused buses first, I was really quite surprised. Now it seems that there were only about 630 operational buses, and many of those seem to be have been used to shuttle residents to the Superdome.

Don't want to comment on that further, I think there's still more than enough time to figure out the details and who is/was to blame. But we should prefer to build an opinion on facts rather than on fiction. As far as possible.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:35 am
Quote:
The claim appears to have originated in a September 6 column by Washington Times editor-in-chief Wesley Pruden, who inaccurately charged that, although Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation before the hurricane's arrival, he "kept the city's 2,000 school buses parked and locked in neat rows when there was still time to take the refugees to higher ground." Conservative websites, including the Power Line and Little Green Footballs weblogs, quickly linked to Pruden's column.

Aha! Finally we see where Fox News gets it's fair and balanced information from!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
kickycan wrote:
Aha! Finally we see where Fox News gets it's fair and balanced information from!

Very Happy

Yes, I reckon it's a rather pathetic example of poor journalism. Or for what goes as journalism these days: 80% opinion, 15% rumors, 5% facts.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
here is a transcript from Tim Russert on MSNBC interviewing Nagin...if you read down Russert quotes the Houston Chronicle that said NO had 550 municipal buses and "hundreds more" school buses. Nagin doesn't dispute this fact, he just says they had no one to drive them. That doesn't constitute 2,000. However, if you read on, Russert reads something else that says that in July Nagin said, "you're on your own" to the poeple of NO because he didn't think the evac plan would work (ummm why didn't you write a better one?) and then Nagin dances around the question. My purpose in posting this is to show that all parties exaggerate the truth or dance around the answer to make their case sound better. Right wingers are not alone...

Quote:
MR. RUSSERT: Many people point, Mr. Mayor, that on Friday before the hurricane, President Bush declared an impending disaster. And The Houston Chronicle wrote it this way. "[Mayor Nagin's] mandatory evacuation order was issued 20 hours before the storm struck the Louisiana coast, less than half the time researchers determined would be needed to get everyone out. City officials had 550 municipal buses and hundreds of additional school buses at their disposal but made no plans to use them to get people out of New Orleans before the storm, said Chester Wilmot, a civil engineering professor at Louisiana State University and an expert in transportation planning, who helped the city put together its evacuation plan." And we've all see this photograph of these submerged school buses. Why did you not declare, order, a mandatory evacuation on Friday, when the president declared an emergency, and have utilized those buses to get people out?

MAYOR NAGIN: You know, Tim, that's one of the things that will be debated. There has never been a catastrophe in the history of New Orleans like this. There has never been any Category 5 storm of this magnitude that has hit New Orleans directly. We did the things that we thought were best based upon the information that we had. Sure, here was lots of buses out there. But guess what? You can't find drivers that would stay behind with a Category 5 hurricane, you know, pending down on New Orleans. We barely got enough drivers to move people on Sunday, or Saturday and Sunday, to move them to the Superdome. We barely had enough drivers for that. So sure, we had the assets, but the drivers just weren't available.

MR. RUSSERT: But, Mr. Mayor, if you read the city of New Orleans' comprehensive emergency plan-- and I've read it and I'll show it to you and our viewers--it says very clearly, "Conduct of an actual evacuation will be the responsibility of the mayor of New Orleans. The city of New Orleans will utilize all available resources to quickly and safely evacuate threatened areas. Special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to transport themselves or who require specific life-saving assistance. Additional personnel will be recruited to assist in evacuation procedure as needed. Approximately 100,000 citizens of New Orleans do not have means of personal transportation."

It was your responsibility. Where was the planning? Where was the preparation? Where was the execution?

MAYOR NAGIN: The planning was always in getting people to higher ground, getting them to safety. That's what we meant by evacuation. Get them out of their homes, which--most people are under sea level. Get them to a higher ground and then depending upon our state and federal officials to move them out of harm's way after the storm has hit.

MR. RUSSERT: But in July of this year, one month before the hurricane, you cut a public service announcement which said, in effect, "You are on your own." And you have said repeatedly that you never thought an evacuation plan would work. Which is true: whether you would exercise your obligation and duty as mayor or that--and evacuate people, or you believe people were on their own?

MAYOR NAGIN: Well, Tim, you know, we basically wove this incredible tightrope as it is. We were in a position of trying to encourage as many people as possible to leave because we weren't comfortable that we had the resources to move them out of our city. Keep in mind: normal evacuations, we get about 60 percent of the people out of the city of New Orleans. This time we got 80 percent out. We encouraged people to buddy up, churches to take senior citizens and move them to safety, and a lot of them did. And then we would deal with the remaining people that couldn't or wouldn't leave and try and get them to higher ground until safety came.

This excerpt amazes me...Russert says since 2002 (three years ago) feds have given $18 million to prepare for this and Nagin says its his understanding that the money was spent on levee protection--he's only been in office for three years. it's his understanding? umm that money came in while he was in office and he isn't sure what happened to it?

Quote:
MR. RUSSERT: Since 2002, the federal government has given New Orleans $18 million to plan and prepare for events like this. How was that money spent?

MAYOR NAGIN: It's my understanding that most of the money--I've only been in office about three years. So we've mainly used most of the money that we get from the federal government to try and deal with levee protection and the coordination of getting people to safety. That's primarily what we use the money for.

i would be willing to bet we all at some point exaggerated the truth to benefit ourselves or make something we did wrong look not so bad.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:56 am
oh sorry, here's a link to the entire transcript...

russert/nagin interview
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
dragon49 wrote:
i would be willing to bet we all at some point exaggerated the truth to benefit ourselves or make something we did wrong look not so bad.

Certainly. But I think the point is that we should build our opinions on facts, and that especially news organizations should rather report facts than opinions.

If it'd be just about one guy who got the numbers wrong, maybe deliberately - well, that happens. But if these wrong numbers are repeated over and over again to further one's goals, I would call that at least propaganda.

Plus people should be able to get their point of view across without outright lying about numbers. N'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
old europe wrote:
dragon49 wrote:

Certainly. But I think the point is that we should build our opinions on facts, and that especially news organizations should rather report facts than opinions.

If it'd be just about one guy who got the numbers wrong, maybe deliberately - well, that happens. But if these wrong numbers are repeated over and over again to further one's goals, I would call that at least propaganda.

Plus people should be able to get their point of view across without outright lying about numbers. N'est-ce pas?

oui, oui, i definitely agree, but my point is, i seriously doubt it is ONLY right wing media that does it.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
Quote:
here is a transcript from Tim Russert on MSNBC interviewing Nagin...if you read down Russert quotes the Houston Chronicle that said NO had 550 municipal buses and "hundreds more" school buses. Nagin doesn't dispute this fact, he just says they had no one to drive them. That doesn't constitute 2,000. However, if you read on, Russert reads something else that says that in July Nagin said, "you're on your own" to the poeple of NO because he didn't think the evac plan would work (ummm why didn't you write a better one?) and then Nagin dances around the question. My purpose in posting this is to show that all parties exaggerate the truth or dance around the answer to make their case sound better. Right wingers are not alone...

Can't you guys ever deal with truth? Media Matters exposes the outright lies of the right-wing/corporate media. To counter that you lamely cite a politician parsing words. (spinning) Apples and elephants.

Nice try though.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:15 pm
old europe wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

Still, I think it is somehow important to get the numbers right. When I read the number of 2000 unused buses first, I was really quite surprised. Now it seems that there were only about 630 operational buses, and many of those seem to be have been used to shuttle residents to the Superdome.

Don't want to comment on that further, I think there's still more than enough time to figure out the details and who is/was to blame. But we should prefer to build an opinion on facts rather than on fiction. As far as possible.

I totally agree OE. It is important to get the numbers right. I never said anything to the contrary. At least I do not think so.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:15 pm
Quote:
i seriously doubt it is ONLY right wing media that does it.

Then, you compound the error by using the last defense of the scoundrel i.e. everybody does it.

The fact is: everyone doesn't do it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:16 pm
dragon49 wrote:
oui, oui, i definitely agree, but my point is, i seriously doubt it is ONLY right wing media that does it.

Yes, but it is a tired argument to say "See, somebody else did something bad, too". Or a "Tu Quoque" fallacy, if you prefer that. The topic of the thread were the false reports about 2,000 buses, and it was reported by the right wing media.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
Quote:
It is important to get the numbers right. I never said anything to the contrary. At least I do not think so.

In reality, you said virtually nothing except that, in a perfect world, NO could have evacuated close to 100% of the population. The fact is that NO evacuated an UNPRECEDENTED 80% of its population.

Of course, as a bleeding heart liberal, I bemoan the fact that it was the poor, disabled, elderly and largely black population who were left behind. As a BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL, I am all for programs that help the poor, elderly and disabled. ARE YOU?
0 Replies