ovarian cyst PLEASE HELP

houzer911

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:05 pm
what kinds of things would they be testing for in a blood test?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:11 pm
they can test for a lot. not really 100% sure. i guess they could test for ecoli, salmonella, dysentary - stuff like that...which would by the way give her some horrid diarrhea (and very bad intestinal pain due to bloating) explaining her pain. however all are curable in today's day and age.

other than those infections, i have no idea. sorry i couldn't be of more help on that one...
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
yea i asked a few doctors and nurses i knew from EMS, and shes also going in for a ct scan, and i was told it was to make sure that its not anything like apendicitis or cysts (renal or ovarian) because the ultrasound can miss things due to its lack of clarity that the ct scan has.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Do you know which blood tests were ordered, houzer? They might be checking for any number of things depending on which ones they ordered.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
no, i would love to see it though, but im trying to keep my distance but also show support...and if i ask for her blood test orders from the doc i may be too intrusive.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:17 pm
no, i would love to see it though, but im trying to keep my distance but also show support...and if i ask for her blood test orders from the doc i may be too intrusive.

From what i gather, her tests are for parasites because she was in Mexico a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:08 am
does she have any other symptoms? or just abdominal pain?

i was told with ovarian cysts, the best test was vaginal ultrasound. however, cat scans can show alot of stuff. my last one about 10 months ago revealed not only the gravel in my kidneys and my last cyst, but 2 bulging discs. its amazing what they are capable of seeing...

good luck. maybe just some simple flowers for her to show her you are there for her whatever she needs? and if i have one piece of advice, this is it -

many times there is no easy explanation of pain. two years ago, i was in so much pain i couldn't get out of bed. cat scan, ultrasound, mri, xray, blood tests...all found nothing. the doctors told me i was addicted to pain killers and sent me to the shrink. i was pissed. my saving grace (because my family sure thought i was addicted), one general surgeon who believed me and was willing enough to do exploratory open abdominal surgery. he found a teeny tiny ligament not visible on all those things that had wrapped itself around my ovary, bladder, and uterus and was slowing constricting each and every one of them (it was a side effect of my massive, multiple cysts)! imagine their surprise (including my own family who all agreed-addicted) to learn that i was slowly killing my ovary, bladder, and uterus. less than 4 days after surgery i was pain killer free (other than ibuprofen).

so after my huge story, unless there is a seriously good reason (prior drug abuse, etc) then she isn't making up the pain, it is very real, and nothing hurts worse than no one you are close to supporting you. keep positive for her and be there for her (which i have no doubt you already do!).
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
she definatly has pain, and she is the kind of person who haates taking any sort of medication so i know if shes telling me it hurts this much, it must hurt more then she says it does.

Shes a tough girl, i just dont like seeing her in pain.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
houzer911 wrote:
she definatly has pain, and she is the kind of person who haates taking any sort of medication so i know if shes telling me it hurts this much, it must hurt more then she says it does.

Shes a tough girl, i just dont like seeing her in pain.

you're too sweet. give her a hug for me.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
going for another test today, ill let you all know.

I think this one is vaginal.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:35 pm
is it a vaginal ultrasound?
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
i was wrong, she just had a strep test done to make sure it isnt anything viral...

it came back negative.

She is going for a CT scan tomorrow at 7 AM Sad
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:54 am
good luck
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
nothiung showed up on the CT scan!

I went out with her tonight and it got so bad that i just wanted her to go home so she could rest. Im really worried about her and shes been through every test. Idk what else to tell her, i feel like i cant do anything for her but just watch her as she feels miserable.

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:52 am
houzer, i don't know what to tell you. can you describe her symptoms a little better? does she hunch over in pain? does she get nausea? is she running a fever? this one is probably better left up to the docs taking care of her. i certainly don't have a med degree so unfortunately can't help much unless it is something i have experienced (ovarian cysts, kidney stones).

i wish we could help! and you are doing the best thing for her by being supportive and understanding. that is really all you can do until they figure out what is wrong. keep it up! again, good luck.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 04:13 pm
the pain isnt too consistent she says.

It comes and goes, i asked her today whether she has it when shes feelings stressed, she thought that could be a possibility.

But from what shes said, it starts in her lower right abdominal quadrant and radiates across the abdomen. It hurts when palpated. Thats all ive got for you. Shes gonna continue seeing doctors cause im making her lol. So ill let you all know.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:28 am
good keep us posted...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:31 pm
Houzer,

This is definitely something I can tell you about from experience. I have had 7 surgieries for ovarian cysts. I had one a year for seven years. None of those surgeries rendered me incapable of having children or ever showed a sign of cancer.

I know they can be very painful and yes, very inconsistent. There would be times that they wouldn't bother me and then at times I would be in unbelievable pain. I can tell you that when I had my menstrual period, the pain was worse.

You wanted a worse case scenario? Of course, worse case would be the cyst is cancerous, but, more often than not they are benign. The doctors told me that some women get them and they rarely bother them or have to have them out and then others have them over and over again and they have to be removed.

I can tell you this, if the doctors are not showing any immediate concern (i.e., surgery right now, etc.) then I wouldn't worry too much. Of all the ones I had, none were ever life threatening or even close to being cancerous.

She is very lucky to have you there with her and being so concerned. That, more than anything, is what she needs. Your support. Just keep a positive attitude. I will say a prayer that everything turns out ok.

Also, they do have drugs nowadays that can break cysts up without having to have surgery. I am sure things will be ok.

I hope this helped somewhat.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
Momma A - seems we have something in common. you are 3 surgeries up on me though...glad to hear all is ok for you too Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
dragon49 wrote:
Momma A - seems we have something in common. you are 3 surgeries up on me though...glad to hear all is ok for you too Smile

Well, when I started having mine, I was 13. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago and surgeons are not as quick to do exploratory surgery to find out what the problem is nowadays.

I did end up having a hysterectomy at the age of 22 but it was not because of ovarian cysts. It was from the scar tissue caused by all the surgeries. But, thank God, they even can take care of that problem today.

I am glad to hear you are ok too dragon49, Perhaps medicine will get to the "Star Trek" non-invasivness someday? LOL
0 Replies