ovarian cyst PLEASE HELP

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
my girlfriend was just told by her doctor that she may have an ovarian cyst, appendicitis, or some other things. She has had a pain on her lower right abdominal quadrant for a while now and i told her to go get it checked out. I had appendicitis once, and being an EMT, what she told me led be to believe it may have been appendicitis, this cyst thing caught me off guard though.

Now, im just talking from my point of view now...im really really worried about her. I dont know much about ovarian cysts. Maybe someone here can help me. Can you tell me about it, the treatment of it, possible outcomes, etc. I guess what worries me most is, is it possible she would have to get a hysterectomy, or become infertile, cancer, anything horrible like that?

Im so afraid for her right now, shes really everything to me and I dont want anything bad to happen (i know this sounds selfish, me me me right, while shes the one going through it)

Im doing whatever I can to not have her worry, but i need to know more about this...so whatever you guys can give me what be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,722 • Replies: 46
No top replies

houzer911

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm
i forgot to mention she is scheduled for an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound tomorrow
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:49 pm
This site has some good information:

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/ovarian_cysts.htm
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 04:28 pm
I don't know a lot about it, but my sister had one removed when she was younger. It was pretty large and they took the ovary with it, but she still has the other one and is basically healthy and strong.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 05:03 pm
I've alerted a member who has personal experience of ovarian cysts about this thread. I believe she's out of town for the weekend, but Monday will come.

Are you going with your gf for the scan?
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
no and im really upset about that. But i will be in school when shes having it done.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:31 pm
Unfortunately she may not get the results right away. When she does get the results, she'll want you to know everything she knows. If she has to wait for the results, she'll need your support.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
i mean gimme the worst possible scenario here
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
houzer, take some deep breaths. If it was appendicitis the doc wouldn't schedule an ultrasound for tomorrow, he would have checked it out today. This tells me her wbc was probably normal and they probably aren't thinking it's appendicitis. Undiagnosed appendicitis is much more dangerous than an ovarian cyst.

Ovarian cysts can cause on-going or cyclical pain at ovulation. If it's a cyst, the doc might recommend your gf go on BCP, if she isn't already taking them as sometimes the pill will reduce cysts. Getting a definitive answer can take time and can be frustrating for you and your girlfriend. Lots of people get cysts. Sometiimes they go away with the pill, sometimes they don't. The ultrasound results will only be a first result.

Stay patient, cysts are fairly common and are not usually considered an urgent medical event.

Good luck to you and your girlfriend. Keep us posted.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:39 pm
yea, but what is the absolute worst possible scenario
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:44 pm
well, the worst case scenario is ovarian cancer. but, i have ovarian cysts, and have had them since i was thirteen. My doctor told me at the time that ovarian cancer is fairly rare, and many more women have cysts than develope cancer of this sort. It is probably very routine and it wouldn't do to worry too too much until she gets some sort of result back. Until then, try not to think in terms of worst case scenarios and try to think more in terms of the fact that this is probably something minor which will cause her some discomfort every month, but shouldn't be too much of an issue beyond that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:48 pm
How old is your gf, hoozer?
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:16 pm
we are both 17. I know im going to be thought of as young and probably not taken very seriously in terms of having a girlfriend and our feelings about eachother. But please take me seriously, we have been together for a few years now and she means the world to me. I mean my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my close uncle died of cancer so I am really afraid of this happening to someone i love again. I really hate seeing her in any kind of pain, and when she came to me and my partner at work to look at her fitst, i just got afraid, which was exacerbated by what her doctor said...so its just alot going on for us.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:27 am
houzer

Please don't get into a state of alarm just yet.

As has been said, cysts are fairly common.

Many women get them on and off throughout their lives and never even know it.

One was suspected in me during a routine exam, I went for a sonagram, and yep, there it was.

Fortunately for me, my best friend works at the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund in Manhatten, and I got him on the phone immediately.

Hearing from someone I knew and trusted that it all likelihood it was nothing greatly reassured me.

Bottom line, I was put on birth controll pills for I think 3 months, went I went back for another sonagram, it was gone.

The sonagram is painless, the only uncomfortable part is she'll have to drink a lot of water beforehand.

I've had a few sonagrams in my life, so this is my personal advice, take it or leave it......

They tell you to drink all this water a certain time before the exam, on the premise that if your appointment is for 10:00am, that's when they'll do it.

Yeah, right.....by the time you sit in the waiting room, then get all ready in the exam room, it's closer to 11:00 am. And I mean your bladder is REALLY full.

I always drank the water in the car on the way to the doctor.

PLEASE keep us informed as to what is going on with your friend......

Good luck.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:31 am
worst case scenario for ovarian cysts is torsion. torsion occurs when the cyst gets so big that it twists the ovary and cuts off the blood flow to the ovary thus killing it. (thanks noddy for the head's up). i have had 4 surgeries now to remove ovarian cysts, and unfortunately i am all too familiar with them.

houzer, the most likely procedure here will be to determine how big the cyst is, if it is simple or complex, and what then next step should be. relax. many women suffer ovarian cysts and never know it. it generally occurs during ovulation when the follicle that releases the egg from the ovary doesn't dissipate as it should. generally speaking, it remains filled with fluid and continues to grow.

simple cysts are formed this way and they generally are very painful due the displacement they cause in the abdomen. the only real threat other than pain is torsion. complex cysts are another story. they can be benign or malignant and need to be removed. more than likely (i think it somewhere along the line of 90% of the time) cysts are simple. if the only symptoms she has is general pain in the lower right or left side depending on the side of the cyst, she probably has a simple cyst.

while these are less threatening, they are not any less painful. they can be excruciating. there are different options one can take with this scenario (i have never had a complex cyst-thank god, so i can only speak for simple cysts). they have some options...

1. they can wait. if the cyst is not that large, they can wait and see if it will dissolve on its own. if she is in a lot of pain, she might want to rethink this one...i waited three months the first time in a haze because i had to take pain killers around the clock to be able to get out of bed-but to each his own-this is the most conservative approach and does work sometimes. many times the cyst dissolves itself or bursts (this hurts like hell because the cyst bleeds into your abdomen causing all kinds of irritation-don't worry though, unless she is a hemopheliac, this won't kill her or probably cause any serious long term effects, although she may feel like it when it happens). either way, the cyst "can" go away on its own (sometimes-i only had one burst, the rest were surgically or procedurally removed).

2. they can drain the cyst-they can do this vaginally or through her back. i had it done twice in a cat scan machine. it was kinda cool that they stuck this huge needle into my back and drained it. this worked short term, i unfortunately had another one in about a year's time.

3. they can remove it surgically. they use a laproscope and generally go in through your belly button. the recovery time is generally pretty short, about 4 days, and they do it outpatient so you go home the same day. now this is the most invasive surgery which i resorted to after trying the first two. they just didn't work for me. i ended up having 3 laproscopies and 1 laprotomy (they opened me up completely across my belly). the laptrotomy was to repair the damage the cysts had done because they were so large and had displaced so many organs for so long (probably not the case with your friend-i had been getting one about every 6 months from the time i was 19 until i had this done at 27).

the good news? all is fine with me other than i get cysts. my ovaries work fine, it doesn't appear that i will have any trouble getting pregnant, and other than a few scars, all is good. your friend may want to talk to her doc about birth control. the purpose of this is medical because the cysts are generally caused by ovulation and some birth control pills stop ovualtion thus theoretically stopping the cysts. it hasn't worked for me, but i am now on my 10th month with no cyst-which i think is a record Smile

if she needs someone to talk to let me know on the thread and i will pm you my email address so she can shoot me an email. this has been a 10 year fight for me, with a cyst about every 6 months. However, i am pushing 10 months now...yippee!!!!

the best thing is to relax, cysts, while extremely painful-i take that back, excruciatingly painful, generally if attended to pose no long term threats given they are simple cysts (which like i said generally 90% are).

the best thing is to support her and understand that the pain can be dehabilitating at times. let me know how the ultrasound goes, because they should be able to tell her how big the cyst is and whether or not it simple or complex. also, she is going to be in a lot of pain after the ultrasound because they manipulate the cyst and that hurts like hell. be good to her and give her lots of support Smile

remember too the worst thing right now is probably the pain. oh how long has she had the pain..you say for a while earlier but how long exactly? that will also help determine if they can wait or if they need to act.

if you need some more answers, feel free to let me know and i will pm you my email address, or if you have AOL you can im using the button at the bottom of the post. good luck, keep me posted, i wish her all the best because i know how painful it can be.
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
thanks alot for your posts everyone, im still nervous but at least i know that the chancesof it turning into a really bad situation are small.

In response to the last post, wow, thanks so much for all the information. I appreciate the time you put in and all the help you given me. She has had the pain for approximately 4 days. She started having in friday, she told me saturday, i told her to schedule an appointment with her doctor, which she did yesterday, and today was the ultrasound. Im waiting for her call now...again thanks for all your help everyone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
houzer--

Glad we could help. Keep us posted.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:57 pm
houzer911 wrote:
thanks alot for your posts everyone, im still nervous but at least i know that the chancesof it turning into a really bad situation are small.

In response to the last post, wow, thanks so much for all the information. I appreciate the time you put in and all the help you given me. She has had the pain for approximately 4 days. She started having in friday, she told me saturday, i told her to schedule an appointment with her doctor, which she did yesterday, and today was the ultrasound. Im waiting for her call now...again thanks for all your help everyone.

generally, if it has only been 4 days, they will wait. some more things that may help...when was her last period, if it was close to two weeks ago, she is right on the money for a simple cyst. they generally occur mid cycle-two weeks after her last period- and tend to dissolve come her next period. more than likely unless her cyst is causing severe, dehabiliting pain, or there is something on the ultrasound to cause concern, her doc should (now i am not a doc and don't know the intimate details of her cyst in particular) wait until she gets her next period.

keep me updated, and like i said, if you want more info or whatever, let me know in the thread and i will pm you my email address...i don't think you can pm just yet, but i can send it to you. it is really scary when you first find out because you have no idea what is going on, and it is sooo painful. hugs to her and to you for caring so much! let me know if i can do anything else...
0 Replies

houzer911

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
ahh so heres the results. Nothing showed up on the ultrasound. So a cyst/appendicitis was ruled out. Now the docotor wants her to go for blood work because he now feels its possible she has a parasite (she went to mexico for 2 weeks a month ago). So now we will see about that.

Thanks everyone for helping me out, i appreciate all of your support!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
well keep us updated houzer! good luck with the blood testing..
0 Replies