Chigger Bites---HELP!!

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
Went climbing up the bald face near St Andrews yesterday and got covered with chiggers (a small mite) I am in itching agony. Anybody have a remedy to kill them? (They burrow into the skin and feed on blood. Im not worried about Lyme or any rickettsial diseases, Im of peasant stock with great immune system)
JUST NEED RELIEF!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,596 • Replies: 37
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
Aaaaaaahhhh! Sorry, I don't know of any treatments and have never had to deal with them. Good thing, too, cause they FREAK me out!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
Only thing I've ever heard is to cut off the oxygen supply to the little buggers...clear nail polish or tape are the folk remedies that come to mind.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
scratch, scratch
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:42 pm
You really expect us to believe those are chiggers, farmerman?

We are well aware of your lifestyle.

You reap what you sow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:44 pm
I dunno if I'd want to suffocate a village of chiggers who were living under my skin. Then what? They all decompose inside you? <brrrr>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
what are you talkin about ratzenhofer? At least I keep it within my own species.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
gonna try duck tape
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:50 pm
Quote:
ne commonly known remedy for chigger bites is to apply nail polish to reduce itchiness. This does not kill the chigger or treat the bite in any way. It simply seals the area off from the air, which keeps the sore from itching so badly. If you want to apply something to relieve itching, it's much better to use a salve or cream that contains antihistamines (Caladryl or hydrocortisone salves are the most common). Like nail polish, these treatments will seal the bite from the surrounding air, but they will also help to prevent infection. If the welts continue to irritate you for more than a couple of weeks, they might be infected and you should see a doctor.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
Are you sure you don't have ticks?

Chiggers don't burrow into skin. You ought to dislodge them from the skin's surface with a hot, very soapy shower. Try benzocaine, hydrocortisone, or calamine lotion for the itching. And be sure to wash your clothes in hot water.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:53 pm
farmerman wrote:
what are you talkin about ratzenhofer? At least I keep it within my own species.

You are entering the denial stage of the game.

So sad.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Tico, I looked up the chigger and saw that its the larval stage that bites and from which the welts develop. So youre right that they dont burrow into the skin (shows you the strength of childhood memories) Ticks are big enough to see, even the deer ticks. Ive been showering and the wife made me get rid of my clothing first. Even with the cortisone its agony . GODDAM its like some kinda torture.

I had climbing shorts and a tight shirt, so anywhere there was a tight band or constriction is where the bites are.
I saw that they carry no known diseases in the US, however, I was about 10 miles into New Brunswick.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:04 pm
Preparation H works for poison ivy itching--and was recommended by a dermatologist.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
Quote:
A chigger usually goes unnoticed for one to three hours after it starts feeding. During this period the chigger quietly injects its digestive saliva. After a few hours your skin reacts by hardening the cells on all sides of the saliva path, eventually forming a hard tube-like structure called a stylostome.

The stylostome walls off the corrosive saliva, but it also functions like a feeding tube for the hungry chigger. The chigger sits with its mouthparts attached to the stylostome, and like a person drinking a milk shake through a straw, it sucks up your liquefied tissue. Left undisturbed, the chigger continues alternately injecting saliva into the bite and sucking up liquid tissue.

lovely..... http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/

Quote:
Warm soapy water is all that is necessary to remove and kill chiggers. There is no need, and it is rather dangerous, to apply household products such as kerosene, turpentine, ammonia, alcohol, gasoline, salt or dry cleaning fluid. Don't do it.

Attached chiggers are removed by even the lightest rubbing. If you are away from civilization, you can remove attached chiggers before they do much damage by frequently rubbing down with a towel or a cloth.

What can you do to alleviate suffering if these precautions fail? Lotions will relive the itching somewhat, but no substance is completely effective. The only ultimate cure is time, since there is nothing you can do to dislodge the chigger's feeding tube, the true cause of your itch. You must simply wait until your body breaks down and absorbs the foreign object.

In the meantime, local anesthetics such as benzocaine, camphor-phenol and ammonium hydroxide may provide you with several hours of comfort at a stretch. Over-the-counter creams can also help. In rare cases, some people are allergic to chigger bites and require prescription medications from their doctor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
I needed to hear that. Im now like that guy with the alien coming out of his stomach. Im a chigger coop.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
The chiggers should be gone..... at least that's what the article says. It's the saliva they spit into you that liquified your flesh and caused an allergic reaction that's making you itch. <grin>

How about benedryl?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
The hydrocortisone idea . There are no stores nearby without a 35 mile drive. No hospitals either. If I swell up, Im f**ked.

-----------------

I better work on my last will and testament for A2K.Should I go into anaphalaxys.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:28 pm
What have you tried thus far? Worst case scenario, if you don't have calamine lotion, try Vaseline, baby oil, or fingernail polish for the itching. Worst thing you can do is keep scratching the bites.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Sorry if my bad advice caused you any discomfort there FM.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
Isn't benedryl part of a standard safety kit while out roughing it?
0 Replies