Chigger Bites---HELP!!

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
Do you at least have oatmeal at home?
If you do, mix it with some water to a paste and apply
to the affected areas - oatmeal is quite soothing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:17 pm
You can also try heat, dry heat, as hot as you can stand it.

Make a cup of hot herbal tea. Hold the cup against the bites for a few seconds. Don't hold it long enough to burn the skin, just long enough to heat the bump. Remove and repeat a few times, takings sips of the tea between applications.

The tea will help from the inside while the heat helps from the outside.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:26 am
Thank you. I did find one chigger with its siphostyle. Its really an interesting little niche theyve adapted to, and quite a neat adaptation.
Now if I could get rid of this maddening itch.
Oatmeal sounds ok, Ill wait till we get home tomorrow, today is pack up and leave.
That hot tea sounds just diversionary to work. I get my mind to concentrate of the scalding water so I forget about the itch.
The cortisone helps a little .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:00 am
Good God... this makes me gladder than ever I don't live on the east coast. Just when I think I might venture across the continent, some new hell or hurricane makes me see the light. For what it's worth... free... here are some "natural cures" I found:

Quote:
CHIGGERS
Natural Relief From Chiggers - More Than Home Remedies
When you have been "chigged," take a shower first then try these: Rub pure castor oil on your skin.

Grow the herb pennyroyal and use the leaves by crushing them in your hands then rubbing it on your skin. (Had to laugh at this one... uh... first, plant pennyroyal seeds, water and wait... meanwhile, don't itch. However, perhaps as a farmer you already have this herb growing in your garden.)

Apply a poultice of cooked and cooled oatmeal.

To ease the pain and itching of chigger bites, rub with a moist aspirin tablet.

Personally the moist aspirin tablet sounds like a positive step -- I assume you've already taken several internally. The other would be to use a triple-action anti-bacterial ointment with analgesic action.

Your predicament reminds me of a kind of chemical bond I've been reading about -- clathrates. Those suckers or their saliva have been latticed into your very own skin. Yuck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:17 am
a good example of clathrates are methyl hydrates ( Im changing the subsject cause your creepin me out here). They are a crystal made of water and methane. It requires a certain ressure to remain crystalline but theres bazillions of tons on the ocean floor like methane ice that could be a great energy source if we ever figured out how to tap it.

scratch scratch
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:21 am
Wait a minute, you're out in the middle of no where with your computer?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
laptops go with you. Thing fits in a slide out under a cabinet in the kitchen area.
Today, however, we get ready and begin the trip home. Itll be a day in transit . We travel at night a lot.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:33 am
Traveling at night is good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
PIFFKA!!!!!
Gosh, I missed you so much - I am glad to see you again!
--

farmerman, buy some Ibuprofen, that helps with the
inflamation and should help stop the itching, along with
some analgesic ointment.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:37 am
Hey, CJ... I've sent you an email 'splaining all. Glad to see you, too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:01 am
Farmer - just called the little man to ask him what he uses for chiggers.....

There is a product out there called "chigger-X"

it's in a white and red bottle.

really - I know that sounds made up, but he gets it at walgreens, so I guess it would be at any drug store.

It works for him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:02 am
On oatmeal poltices, hmmm. I don't have any experience with actual cooked oatmeal. I do with Aveeno - I've had allergic itching off and on for about ten years, yikes. It has been on the wane lately, for no apparent reason, crossing fingers. But, in the throes of itching craziness I tried Aveeno products. Used the oatmeal bath one. It worked..
for ten minutes.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:23 am
farmerman wrote:
a good example of clathrates are methyl hydrates ( Im changing the subsject cause your creepin me out here). They are a crystal made of water and methane. It requires a certain ressure to remain crystalline but theres bazillions of tons on the ocean floor like methane ice that could be a great energy source if we ever figured out how to tap it.

scratch scratch

Wow. Hadn't heard of clathrates as an energy source but as a way to isolate the bad stuff.

Hope the chigger incident has been scratched off your to-do list. It sounded horrible.
0 Replies

onebigbite

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:36 am
chiggers
I just moved here Missouri) from California. I guess you could call me a greenhorn. We bought 40 acres in Polk County. I have never encountered any thing like the CHIGGER. They are littereally eating me alive. I have tried DEET, herbs, fingernail polish, bleach, MSM, Sulphur, Vinigar, Vinigar and salt (combination), Hot bath, Bug sprey, Never going outside.
Nothing seems to work. I have band the dog from our bedroom, demanded my husband take a bath EVERY NIGHT (and so do I). Never wear the same clothes twice. I get at least five bites a day and sometimes loads more no matter what I do or don't do it's still the same. I put sulphur on me, my clothes and as I sit here I have probalby ten more bites plus the thousands that I already have. My husband is afraid that I will go back to California and live with our daughter. HELP
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:07 pm
Good grief, FM. Better quit scratchin' them bites. My sister told me they turn into fall sores.

If no one has mentioned it, try oil of citronella, onebigbite.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
well, welcome on board onebigbite. This sites a veritable gumbo of topics and never know when somethin new will pop up. Im slowly getting over the urge to scratch ,but the bumps are still there and, so Ive been told, they will reman for about a week or so.

I always though chiggers sucked blood till Lil k and Tico made me look this up for myself and the amount of stuff written about chiggers is not great. This would be an ideal subject for someone to do a dissertation for med entymology or public health.
0 Replies

onebigbite

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
Chiggers
Well, I am getting better. no thanks to this web site. It seems that I am allergic to CHIGGER bites. I was getting better any way but my husband and sister wanted me to get a second opinion. Went to the doctor and he said I had the worst allergic reaction he had ever seen. Put me on an anti-histamine. It seems that when the little buggers insert their acid that breaks down the tissue creates histamine for me. I could handle it for a while but in time with so many (THOUSANDS) bites I ran out of Vitamin C in my system and my liver could no longer break down the histamine and get rid of it. Using Adolphs meat tenderizer on each and every bite will help kill the little buggers and dry up the sore. The little round tubes pop out of the sores. (Sounds gross) The tenderizer hurts like the dickens too but it works better than any thing I have found. I did order Chigger Trigger on line that will help kill them too. It's a little expensive but 100% natural and you can use it on each and every bite. and it smells good. OH yes I forgot to tell you. Soak in a hot tub of water when you put the Adolphs on. Also I can't use DEET so watch out it could make you pass out too. I am just waiting for fall and winter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:57 pm
well, sounds like weve learned more from your experience than you learned from us. I was not as allergic as you but I did develop a site rash that made each bite site seem like a huge wasp bite.
LAtely Ive had a secondary reaction in that , Ive developed like an edema on my knees and elbows. I went to the doc and he said that it was a type of allergic reaction and I should live with it till it goes away. The edema sites now are starting to itch and thats good.

Damn little critters.

PS, nest time you move around the country youll have to check on the local wildlife
0 Replies