Roger's Hearing Aid Thread

roger

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:25 pm
If I really understand the term, yes, but only in the right ear, which has been pretty much written off anyway.

Oh, I kept that gizzerblinker in the high range all day (except for driving) with no problems.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:40 pm
excellent!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:25 pm
New trick. Batteries seem to last about a week. They are packaged with a sticky seal over a set of air holes. I don't know what's going on inside the batteries that requires ventilation, but it seems they are good for about ten days if you cover those holes overnight, instead of about a week.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:34 pm
I also bought one of those that hangs behind my ears, because the doc told me those in-the-ear aids have a tendency to hear one's own voice when talking. My insurance benefit allowed for a budget a $3,500 per ear, but I purchased the pair that cost $3,000 total.

I had to return several times to have it "adjusted." I use it occasionally when I think there will be soft-talkers or too much background noise. It eats batteries like candy. I could use it for a few hours or a for up to four hours, but the battery is dead by the time I use it again - even when I remove the battery from the hearing aid.

I'll be taking mine to Chicago. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:38 pm
Wow. Yours must have a lot of horsepower to eat batteries like that.

Humph! My insurance covered the cost of the exam. Big deal.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
Haven't read this thread in its entirity yet, but here's my bm.

Got my first aids when I was 16 or so. As I left the clinic, literally stepping out through the door onto the pavement, the first sound that "greeted" me was a passing juggarnaut. My reflex was to take a backwards step and, in doing so, I slammed the back of my head against the clinic door.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:21 pm
There is a period of adaptation, but once you build up a protective layer of callus on the head, it seems quite normal, right?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 06:55 pm
I'll be saying "What?" in Chicago...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:31 pm
Especially in restaurants, osso. A good hearing aid helps in environments like that, but is a far cry from normal hearing. I haven't found out how they perform in theaters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
Have you worked with a loop yet? They're supposed to be at their best in theaters.

I'll be saying "what" in Chicago if I go... looking less likely tho.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
I never heard of a loop, as a matter of fact.

If it's some kind of $30.00 device that would have saved me $2,600.00, maybe you should wait a few years before telling me about it.

There are people going to Chicago I would just love to meet, and others I really want to see again, but of all the cities in all the states of these United States, I can't think of a one I would less rather revisit. Hmmmm. Well, maybe Dallas.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:55 pm
BM
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:03 am
bookmark
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:04 am
sneaking in to say Roger and I can talk together, mostly.
WHATT>>>>???

That is, we can talk, so far.
He has gotten an aid, and is up to snuff. Me, I have constant ear ringing, going on twenty years now. What? I dunno. Could you repeat that?
Not that we meet that often, so far about twice a year. Still, not much of a trial, more of fun.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:14 am
Huh?

I'll have to drop in more often.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 12:21 am
Plop.

All this reminding me of when Diane and I and Paola (from Abuzz) first met in a quiet restaurant. It wasn't, after all, quiet, when we walked up the stairs. We ended up writing little notes for a bit, and then the room started to clear out. We outlasted 'em. Serafina's, I think it was, around 71st? in NYC.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:22 am
Worry not, roger, loops work WITH hearing aids rather than replacing them...

http://www.hearingloop.org/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
I wonder, now. . . . I think mine can be programmed to pick up a certain radio frequency. I don't know if this is the same, or not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:36 am
Sounds like it may be it.

The site says that most hearing aids come with the capability.

Trick is to find a place that is "looped", or else buy the components yourself. (If someplace is already looped, it's free for you.) When I used this way back when, it was provided for free by the dept. of rehabilitation, so no idea of cost.

You can write to local theaters and ask if they already have it/ urge them to do so (further info on the website above...)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:28 pm
Nice guarantee on that GN hearing aid. I left in in a shirt pocket a few weeks ago, and ran it through the washing machine. Came out deader than a door nail, but real clean. Whether it was repaired or replaced, I neither know, nor care. No cost to me, and I care alot about that. Had I lost it within the warranty period, there would have been a $250.00 deductable.
0 Replies