Roger's Hearing Aid Thread

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
Indeed. Shocked
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:57 am
Roger
Wonderful, if expensive news. The next time we sit next to each other at dinner, I can whisper really shocking things in your ear and you will hear them.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
I doubt that. Again, with 120 db loss, it's still more like being able to tell that someone is shouting from behind me to get my attention -- and not what they're saying.

I gave up hearing aids because the NOISE they provided was, on the balance, more annoying and distracting than helpful. My eyes provide a lot of very good information, and extraneous, unhelpful sound (a car going by is thunderous, while a voice is an indistinct murmur) just got in the way -- I was able to communicate better without than with.

That was hmmm about 7 years ago, and just want to dip my toe back in and see what technology may have come up with, but expectations aren't too high.

Whispering, no. But mouthing silently from across the room... ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
Hmmm. $2500. for one plus tax? And I can only assume my hearing is getting worse and will need replacements every once in a while, that is, if I can wear them.

This reminds me of a friend of a good friend. The fellow died several years ago, or I might try to contact him. He had a hearing aid business. Quite a wealthy fellow... I remember at least the gist of some comments my friend made about the whole business.. on the order of "slick city".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
Oh yeah.

No way they should cost as much as they do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
BM
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:07 pm
Good news: I'm adapting to this gizzerblinker quite well, and much quicker than I'd been led to expect. Conversations are easier to follow, even with the beginner's program presently installed. Surprisingly, music doesn't sound much different, at least on the home stereo. Bad news: some people just flat mumble. I almost think I could have saved some bucks by sending a selected few to a speech therapist.

I didn't used to be able to handle two people talking at once. I still can't. This may turn out to be some sort of mental or neurlogical problem, instead of a strictly hearing issue.

Thanks for the smile, littlek. I just noticed your signature line.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:09 pm
roger wrote:
I almost think I could have saved some bucks by sending a selected few to a speech therapist.

Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:10 pm
Roger wrote:
I didn't used to be able to handle two people talking at once. I still can't. This may turn out to be some sort of mental or neurlogical problem, instead of a strictly hearing issue.

You are correct, Roger. There's a name for that, but I'm drawing a blank right now. If I think of it, I'll get back to you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
Roger, that's been a tag line of mine since high school..... what?

So, about that two-people talking at once thing, I think you may yet get used to that. I think I actively tune out to the best of my ability the stuff I don't want to hear so that I can better hear the stuff I do want to hear. It would take some time to unlearn that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:17 pm
I heard what Roger said, but I missed littlek's offering.

Would you be kind enough to repeat that, littlek?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:18 pm
Hope you're right, but if Gus comes up with the word, I'll check that out, too. It sounds interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:18 pm
Yeah, I said those over-alls make your ass look fat.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
I oughta.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
.....what?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
Roger, I believe it is called "precedence effect"

Or something like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:44 pm
The doppler effect? or doppler affect? Two mumblers, what a bummer. Two mumblers in the front seat of a car, forget it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
Dasha and I both have bad ears and better (not good) ears. We have a hard time hearing each other when she's in the driver's seat.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
Go to your room, osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:50 pm
Again?
0 Replies