Shame! The forgotten people in the hurricane evacuation

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:55 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Montana,

I usually hang out in the spirituality and religion forums. But, I was just wondering what the rest of the country was thinking about what was going on here in my state. So, I popped in!

Ahhh, that explains it. I tend to avoid religion and political threads, but a force does tend to pull me into the political threads whenever I feel strongly about something, such as this.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:55 pm
Montana is the bestest of all the restest...and she makes great canned tomatoes Smile)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:57 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Very beautiful! I garner from the way your post, you spirit is just as pretty!

Awwww shucks! What a sweet thing to say :-) The feelings are mutual and I truly admire your humanity :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
WILLOW!!!!!!

Hey, girl!!! How the heck are ya? Where you been?

((((Hugs)))))
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Hey Husker! Nice to see you!

The storm turned east just enough to miss us. We got a strange day of a bit of wind and some spray but virtually nothing. Since we weren't hit, we are able to help those that were!

I usually stay totally out of politics, Montana. I know virtually nothing about them. But, I'm glad I got in here. I got to meet you!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
MA
Same here. It's always a pleasure to meet the kind hearts :-D
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:07 pm
Montana wrote:
WILLOW!!!!!!

Hey, girl!!! How the heck are ya? Where you been?

((((Hugs)))))

Fine Girlie!!!!! Moved back to Kansas City...Chillin.....(((((Hugs)))))) right back at ya!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:09 pm
30,000 evacuated! Woo Hoo! Troops handing out food, water, and supplies at the Convention Center! Woo Hoo! The National Guard has the unrest under control! Woo Hoo! Now, we can get the rest out! Thank God! And thank all of you for your help!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:12 pm
I was just watching on CNN and it surely is good news!!!

Finally, these folks can get some relief and needed rest.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:40 pm
N.O. resident that is in Houston is making me cry - bless her heart- she is embarassed about the behavior of people in N.O. and humbled by the open arms of love in Houston.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:42 pm
Thank God they are finally showing some good things. I know it's not the majority that was doing the bad, they were just getting the majority of the press' attention. Now, maybe we can all start helping these people heal and rebuild their lives.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:47 pm
Interesting - I was just out gardening by my front sidewalk and Maggie came by. She's a neighbor that lives a block down. We were talking about the bus situation, that it would have been good to get buses there in neighborhoods with a lot of people without cars early, during the evacuation period pre the hurricane passing...

She said she saw on tv that they were there, at certain corners and people were told. I don't watch tv much and mine is presently in a giveaway box on the porch, so I don't know about that - what corners in what neighborhoods.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:49 pm
Ossobuco,

That's what I had heard too. Then, they kept showing the people who said, "Oh, we've been through this before and we'll get through this again." I don't think anyone really realized how devastating it was going to be.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
CNN has some good stuff on right now.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:53 pm
I watched so much of it and I never saw or heard anything about busses. I watched all the evacuation footage 20 times over, but heard nothing on buses.
That doesn't mean they weren't there. Today is just the first day on A2K that I've heard anything to that effect.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:41 pm
It was the first time I had too, and it might have happened but been local or.... I would think if it was organized, more widespread, we'd be hearing about it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:46 pm
Montana wrote:
People wanted to go there and help, but they were telling everyone that they would only be in the way and make matters worse, if that's even possible.

I see that Canada is loading 4 ships with supplies and 1000 military personnel along with landing craft and helicopter. They will leave Halifax by Tuesday. It appears that they are going whether the help is asked for or not.

My wife won't watch the news anymore because it is just so hard to watch the misery that those people are going through. We certainly cannot even contemplate ignoring it, but many people feel so helpless at a time like this....even if they are contributing in some manner.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:47 pm
I'm still waiting to hear more. If it is infact true, then it will be told.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:14 pm
I remember PBS before the storm hit mentioning the buses and with on-the-spot recordings of people who planned to sit tight.

Today I read in the NYT's coverage that New Orleans didn't have the police power to enforce evacuation. They could go up and down the street with loud hailers, but they couldn't go door to door and they couldn't force people on the buses.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Montana wrote:
People wanted to go there and help, but they were telling everyone that they would only be in the way and make matters worse, if that's even possible.

I see that Canada is loading 4 ships with supplies and 1000 military personnel along with landing craft and helicopter. They will leave Halifax by Tuesday. It appears that they are going whether the help is asked for or not.

My wife won't watch the news anymore because it is just so hard to watch the misery that those people are going through. We certainly cannot even contemplate ignoring it, but many people feel so helpless at a time like this....even if they are contributing in some manner.

Good! I'm sure the stranded folks will at least appreciate it.

I can't blame your wife. It is very hard to watch!
0 Replies