Shame! The forgotten people in the hurricane evacuation

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:23 pm
MA
I commend you for doing everything to try and help. In fact, I started a thread just to thank everyone who has been doing just that, but it's the government who has the means to actually help everyone and that what so very many of us are upset about.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:26 pm
MA, we have done plenty over the years to fund FEMA
with our tax money. Unfortunately, monies were allocated
to different funds - Iraq, Homeland Security and other
funds to protect us from the "enemies".

On a private note, I have donated to the Red Cross.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Let me ask everyone here a question.

What are YOU doing to help solve the problem in New Orleans? Blaming the mayor, the president, etc., certainly does nothing to help.

Believe me, we would do something if we could, but unlike the richest country in the world, we don't have the means to do what needs to be done. The government is the ones who has those means.

Oh, by the way, Canada and several other countries have been on stand by since before Katrina hit and have offered our help since day one, but that help was declined as we were told we were not needed! We were told that they had everything under control Rolling Eyes

What else can we do if we are not allowed to help?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:27 pm
Mamma Angel
Momma Angel wrote:
Let me ask everyone here a question.

What are YOU doing to help solve the problem in New Orleans? Blaming the mayor, the president, etc., certainly does nothing to help.

What have I done to help?

Well, first thing I did when I got my monthly Social Security check, I made a $100 donation to the Red Cross. And in case you snear at that, $100 is a big deal for someone on SS.

At age 76 and disabled, there is not much I can do except not to go there and get in the way.

What have you done, pray tell?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
People wanted to go there and help, but they were telling everyone that they would only be in the way and make matters worse, if that's even possible.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:36 pm
let's not throw stones about who did how much

let it be that we're donating what we can.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm
Montana,

That was so wrong of us to turn away any help. I don't care who did the turning away of help. It was wrong.

I did not mean to offend anyone by that question. I am just very aggressive about finding solutions instead of complaining about the problems. I think as long as the focus is on why something is the way it is, it won't get changed.

I commend each and everyone of you for what you have done to help. God Bless you for it!

I run a private, non-profit organization called The Care Angels Network. We have set up a Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund. Care Angels from across the United States are shipping much needed items to me in Louisiana and they are taken to those in need. Personally, my husband and I have two rent houses we are providing for some evacuees.

I just wish that more focus could be placed on what people are doing to help. The people stranded in New Orleans are not getting the complete story. They don't know of all the help that is on the way. I realize they are scared, hungry, and tired. I don't blame them, I think we all would be. But, being upset, ranting and raving, looting, etc., is not going to help them. For one thing, their energy is going to be expended and they need that energy to wait for help to arrive.

President Bush said today that what had been done so far in Louisiana was unacceptable but it was going to change. I pray it changes soon just as I pray for everyone effected by this disaster.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
Quote:
I am not blaming anyone for anything. I just believe EVERYONE needs to take responsibility for their own actions no matter what situation they are in.

Well said, Mama Angel.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
Noddy24,

Thank you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
Momma Angel
Thank you so much for your last response. It truly spoke volumes.

God bless you and everyone who is opening their hearts and doors to those who are in desperate need. Those folks will surely appreciate it :-D
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
Montana,

It truly is amazing to see all the people come together for the common good. It's just a shame that it seems the only times we can do this is in times of true disaster, especially since it wouldn't take as much effort to do in in good times.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
Re: Shame! The forgotten people in the hurricane evacuation
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Would this forgotten population happen in your city or town? BBB

Well, this is, after all, America.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:45 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Montana,

It truly is amazing to see all the people come together for the common good. It's just a shame that it seems the only times we can do this is in times of true disaster, especially since it wouldn't take as much effort to do in in good times.

Oh you are so right and I couldn't agree more ;-)

Welcome to A2K MA :-) <extends hand for a firm hand shake>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:46 pm
In response to eoe's post--

Yeah. They don't have racial problems in other countries.

You should check out the Australians and the Finns. What goes on here is a picnic in comparison.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:47 pm
Right back at ya Montana! Is that picture you? I love your smile!

Lash, you weren't serious about they don't have racial problems were you? Can you give me a bit more info on those you referenced?

I'd appreciate it!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
MA
I just noticed your number of posts and see that you're not new here, but I don't think we've crossed paths in the past, so the welcome still stands :-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:50 pm
Montana,

I usually hang out in the spirituality and religion forums. But, I was just wondering what the rest of the country was thinking about what was going on here in my state. So, I popped in!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:50 pm
MA
Thank ya :-). Yeah, that's me, but I was much younger then ;-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
Very beautiful! I garner from the way your post, your spirit is just as pretty!

I was just reading some updates on what's going on in New Orleans.

Quote:
Four days after Hurricane Katrina struck, the National Guard arrived in force Friday with food, water and weapons, churning through the floodwaters in a vast truck convoy with orders to retake the streets and bring relief to the suffering.

"The cavalry is and will continue to arrive," said Lt. Gen. Steven Blum of the National Guard.

At the New Orleans Convention Center, some of the thousands of storm victims awaiting their deliverance applauded, threw their hands heavenward and screamed, "Thank you, Jesus!" as the camouflage-green trucks and hundreds of soldiers arrived.

"Lord, I thank you for getting us out of here," said Leschia Radford.

But there was also anger and profane catcalls.

"Hell no, I'm not glad to see them. They should have been here days ago. I ain't glad to see 'em. I'll be glad when 100 buses show up," said 46-year-old Michael Levy, whose words were echoed by those around him yelling, "Hell, yeah! Hell yeah!"

"We've been sleeping on the ... ground like rats," Levy said. "I say burn this whole ... city down."

The Guard said its first priority was delivering food and water, after which it would begin evacuating people - something that could take days.
The Guard said its first priority was delivering food and water, after which it would begin evacuating people - something that could take days.

"As fast as we can, we'll move them out," said Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore. "Worse things have happened to America," he added. "We're going to overcome this, too. It's not our fault. The storm came and flooded the city."

Well, they may have been sleeping on the ground like rats, but at least they weren't drowned rats. How can they not be grateful that help has arrived? Isn't this what they wanted? They wanted help, they are getting help and in response they want to burn the city down? Sad, sad, sad.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:53 pm
MA I've veen wondering about you inall this. Talked to a Cyber frriend fromJackson MS for 45 minutes lastnight amazing
0 Replies