IF! IF! IF!

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:08 pm
Some say the sign of an efficient manager is the ability to delegate.

Micromanagement is egomaniacal and causes collapse of the whole enchilada.

Anybody in management?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:05 pm
Re: BBB
I am not now, nor have I ever been unsure of the existence of these 59 odd, million idiots. I'm just blown away at the depth of their stupidity, the chasm of unrelenting blindness that so marks these sad pieces of humanity.

This type of double talk can only come from those who are deeply delusional. These skanks pioneered and exploited to the fullest using national tragedies for political purposes. They do it day in and day out; they've done it day in and day out for the last number of years.

Then they have the unmitigated gall to turn this around and point the finger at others who only speak the truth.

Quote:
"I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." [GW Bush]

Are these slime-bucket apologists brain dead?

Quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20050902/cm_huffpost/006604;_ylt=Ava.x5nUzV0p3nWdGcvRoS0e6sgF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YWFzYnA2BHNlYwM3NDI-

And it's not just the manpower; it's the allocation of resources. The truth is that the Army Corps of Engineers was desperately trying to get the funds to prepare for just the kind of flooding that has left 90% of the homes in New Orleans underwater. Why didn't they get this much-needed funding? As Editor and Publisher explains: "At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars." The damning article goes on:

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness. On June 8, 2004, Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, told the Times-Picayune: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

To see it boiled down even more, Thinkprogress has done the math. It's not pretty:

2004:

Army Corps request: $11 million
Bush request: $3 million
Approved by Congress: $5.5 million

2005:

Army Corps request: $22.5 million
Bush request: $3.9 million
Approved by Congress: $5.7 million

2006:

Bush request: $2.9 million

The administration's distorted priorities have deeply affected FEMA too. According to Eric Holdeman, the director of the Office of Emergency Management in King County, Washington, "the country's premier agency for dealing with such events -- FEMA -- is being, in effect, systematically downgraded and all but dismantled by the Department of Homeland Security." His "obituary" for FEMA is both sorrowful and alarming, warning that we, as a country, are "to an unconscionable degree, weakening our ability to respond" to the "tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, windstorms, mudslides, power outages, fires" that are inevitably coming our way. Don't those affect our national security, too?

Oh, and you want to know who's running FEMA? His name is Michael Brown. And you'll be relieve to know that previous to FEMA, he was an estate lawyer.

So, yes, Ken and Scottie, I can see why you don't want this "politicized." And there will no doubt be a succession of news anchors and reporters who think it's somehow inappropriate to speak of politics at a moment like this. But it's a lot more inappropriate to refuse to acknowledge what we know. Decisions were made that unequivocally affected how disastrous this disaster has become. The Bush administration will surely call into question the patriotism of anyone who dares note the obvious. But it's holding back from pointing out the consequences of catastrophic decisions that is unpatriotic.

I can't believe how easily some folks have allowed themselves to be cowed by these most craven of sycophants; hell that's giving them too much credit, these bleating sheep, mouthing their own party's drivel with no thought as to what they're saying.

Quote:

1/2005
Even Mr. Bill Knew the Levees Wouldn't Hold:
In early 2004, lovable, crushable clay animated figure Mr. Bill from Saturday Night Live starred in an ad to alert people to the problems with the wetlands in Louisiana. On Good Morning, America today, President Bush said, "I don't think anyone could have anticipated the breach of the levees." He was wrong. Mr. Bill already had. Here's a transcript of the stunningly prescient ad, from CNN on May 27, 2004:

MR. BILL: Gee, kids, I'm not sure we can do our show today because it looks like Hurricane Sluggo is headed right for us here in America's wetlands.

WALTER WILLIAMS, MR. BILL CREATOR: That's right, Mr. Bill. And since New Orleans is below sea level, if a hurricane hit us directly, it could push the water over the levees and fill it to the top.

BILL: Well then we'd better leave.

[continued at]

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2005/09/even-mr.html

Guess how long it would have taken to raise that sum of money from Iraq War funds. Guess how much extra is going to be needed to "fix" New Orleans.

It must once more be asked; How can 59,054,087 people be so f***ing dumb? People who are more than willing to put aside their morality just to get a leader who mouths the platitudes that keep their simplistic brains happy.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:43 pm
Ya got that right, JTT.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:19 am
squinney wrote:
I'm not sure hands off management is wise when it's life or death.

Otherwise, I think we are on the same page, Drewdad.

The idea of GWBush directly managing the situation in New Orleans fills me with dread. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:26 am
BBB
Yesterday, Saturday, I was relieved to see that the government has finally taken control on the ground, largely and temporarily relieved the suffering of the people, and started the expanded scope of search and rescue that is necessary. They've also started find dead bodies, which will help avoid disease, and which will let people know what happened to their loved ones.

Looks like the government's agent leadership are now doing a good job in supporting the people on the ground who are doing the work.

Now, what do we do with all of these displaced people? Winter is coming.

BBB
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:28 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Yesterday, Saturday, I was relieved to see that the government has finally taken control on the ground, largely and temporarily relieved the suffering of the people, and started the expanded scope of search and rescue that is necessary. They've also started find dead bodies, which will help avoid disease, and which will let people know what happened to their loved ones.

Looks like the government's agent leadership are now doing a good job in supporting the people on the ground who are doing the work.

Now, what do we do with all of these displaced people? Winter is coming.

BBB

George Martin fan?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:33 am
JTT,
Do you anticipate the New Madrid fault slipping and destroying hundreds of towns?

Do you anticipate Mt Shasta erupting and destroying Sacramento,San Francisco,Redding and most of Northern Ca?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:22 pm
What if no one in current Admin didn't show up in New York until September 16, 2001? What if Bush had gone to a fundraiser instead of to the scene of the 9/11 disaster? What if only a handful of NY firefighters rushed to the NY Trade Center Towers or DC firefighters had gone to the Pentagon because they had to plan a strategy? WHat if rescuers had driven up to the scene, then gone to sleep? What if Bush had finally flown over NYC in AF One on September 14, 2001? What if Condi had shopped on Rodeo Drive on September 15, 2001? What if Bush had responded early on to the loss with sucha comment as, "My friend lost his house here in New York but I can see a beautiful thing rising up in a year. I can see myself sitting on the front porch." If all of this were true, would Bush still be President today?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:22 pm
What if no one in current Admin didn't show up in New York until September 16, 2001? What if Bush had gone to a fundraiser instead of to the scene of the 9/11 disaster? What if only a handful of NY firefighters rushed to the NY Trade Center Towers or DC firefighters had gone to the Pentagon because they had to plan a strategy? WHat if rescuers had driven up to the scene, then gone to sleep? What if Bush had finally flown over NYC in AF One on September 14, 2001? What if Condi had shopped on Rodeo Drive on September 15, 2001? What if Bush had responded early on to the loss with sucha comment as, "My friend lost his house here in New York but I can see a beautiful thing rising up in a year. I can see myself sitting on the front porch." If all of this were true, would Bush still be President today?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
As revel pointed out on another thread here on a2k:

"In any event the responsiblity became federal as soon as New Orleans was declared a state of emergency; which was before the levee broke and New Orleans flooded."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
Not exactly, sumac; all a Federal emergency declaration does is authorize assistance to be granted if and as requested by the governor of any affected state. The first responsibility for the safety and security of the citizens of New Orleans falls to Mayor Nagin. Overall responsibility for the safety and security of the state falls first to the governor, Bianco.

As this Washinton Post Article pointed out yesterday (perhaps inadvertently),
Quote:
... Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. ...

... Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort ...

... In a Washington briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said one reason federal assets were not used more quickly was "because our constitutional system really places the primary authority in each state with the governor." ...

Now, of course, things could, and should, have gone differently. None the less, primary responsibility for this debacle falls squarely at the feet of Bianco and Nagin, and there is no doubt both merit significant repercussions. The ball was dropped by the Bianco/Nagin team, Fema recovered the fumble, and is moving the ball forward.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
Timber
Timber, I say a pox on all the bureaucrats who screwed up from the Mayor to the President. That's going farther than you as you do your usual thing of protecting the ass of your president and his administration.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
Not absolving anyone, BBB - just pointing out where the immediate blame chain starts. There are issues aplenty all the way up the ladder to be resolved. None the less, the failure of state and local officials to do what was necessary created the conditions which permtted scores of thousands to suffer needlessly, and worse yet permitted untold thousands to die needlessly.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
timberlake said:

Quote:
None the less, the failure of state and local officials to do what was necessary created the conditions which permtted scores of thousands to suffer needlessly, and worse yet permitted untold thousands to die needlessly.

I don't, repeat, don't, believe you actually said that.

In a time of disaster and emergency such as we witnessed, the very LAST THING WE EXPECT OUR LEADERS TO DO IS TO STAND ON FORMALITY, whether it is codified in laws or mere custom.

To state that local city and state officials were to blame because federal disaster relief was not put into motion, immediately, is apologetic, obfuscatory, and just plain appalling.

My estimation of your judgment and character has just dropped dramatically.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
Formality doesn't enter into the equation - its a matter of law, an overly beaureaucratic labrynth of laws, yeah, but at the top, all stemming from Constitutional Law delineating the powers and responsibilities of the Federal Government, the individual State Governments, and the relationship pertaining thereunto among all executive, legislative, judicial, and administrative parties under and pursuant to This Union. We fought a Civil War over a dispute centered on the issues of the powers, responisibilities, rights, and discretion of The Federal Government and those of the individual States, in case you forgot.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:22 pm
A new low for Timberlandko. I do hope, honestly I do, that this is simply Timber being naive.

Quote:

CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE AND KATRINA?

by Larry C Johnson

Efforts by Chertoff and other Administration spinmeisters to pin the blame on the delayed response on State and local authorities does not hold water. Although the NRP recognizes that State and local authorities have a responsibility to ask for help, the NRP correctly provides a provision to take proactive steps to deal with a threat. On page 43 of the NRP the section is titled, "Proactive Federal Response to Catastrophic Events" (which I have copied and pasted below:

The NRP establishes policies, procedures, and mechanisms for proactive Federal response to catastrophic events. A catastrophic event is any natural or manmade incident, including terrorism, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the population, infrastructure, environment, economy, national morale, and/or government functions. A catastrophic event could result in sustained national impacts over a prolonged period of time; almost immediately exceeds resources normally available to State, local, tribal, and private-sector authorities in the impacted area; and significantly interrupts governmental operations and emergency services to such an extent that national security could be threatened. All catastrophic events are Incidents of National Significance.

[continued at]

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/09/criminal_neglig.html

Don't expect to hear from any of these apologists anytime soon. The lines to the RNC's offices, [where the talking points are dispensed to these cloying sycophants] are, as you might well imagine, kinda busy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:05 pm
If state elected and paid leaders are worthless, why have them?

They have jobs and there is a hierarchy --a legal framework--that must be followed. LA dropped the ball.

You'll read about it in the transcripts from the hearings that will take place.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
It is difficult to determine which is more pathetic and disgusting, the attempt to exculpate the venal, stupid and incompetent administration, or those who make such an effort.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Thanks, Boss. Well said.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
Lash wrote:
If state elected and paid leaders are worthless, why have them?

They have jobs and there is a hierarchy --a legal framework--that must be followed. LA dropped the ball.

You'll read about it in the transcripts from the hearings that will take place.

Your latest attempts at spin are unbelievably pathetic. Please stop now, Lash. You run the very real risk of exposing yourself as a blithering idiot.

Read the facts, Jack.

Timeline of a dithering Nero

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/4/111017/0402

[originally posted as a new thread by JustanObserver in the new thread, "A timeline of Bush's actions and Katrina".]

Sorry, JustanObserver, I'm not trying to steal your thread but this is very important to this thread too.
0 Replies