IF! IF! IF!

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:15 pm
Just out of curiousity, Big Bird, what does "politicicing" mean?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:17 pm
Sorry about the typo in the word that should have read "politicizing"- but then, I'm good at typos - as are most of us :cool:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:18 pm
I nevre make typos.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm
Laughing me two.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:23 pm
Timber
timberlandko wrote:
Politicicing Katrina: As Loathsome as it Gets

While I agree fully with Daley's sentiments, I'm confident the Loathsome Scale hasn't reached anywhere near its peak readings yet - I fully expect the tradition established at Paul Wellstone's memorial service to be the Democrats' driving force in the coming months. The Republicans couldn't have asked for a better gift.

Great, great job, Democrats, and PLEASE, PLEASE keep it up.

timberlandko wrote:

While I agree fully with Daley's sentiments, I'm confident the Loathsome Scale hasn't reached anywhere near its peak readings yet - I fully expect the tradition established at Paul Wellstone's memorial service to be the Democrats' driving force in the coming months. The Republicans couldn't have asked for a better gift.

Timber, ya know, some of us don't give a rat's ass about republicans or democrats with regard to the hurricane. All we care about is getting the people to safety, shelter, food and water, medical care, etc.

If all you care is how the Republican party does in the next election, then that tells us a lot about your character.

Perhaps you should read the definition of a chauvinist and see if the shoe fits.

Chauvinism is extreme and unreasoning partisanship on behalf of a group to which one belongs, especially when the partisanship includes malice and hatred towards a rival group. The term is derived from Nicolas Chauvin, a soldier under Napoleon Bonaparte, due to his fanatical zeal for his Emperor.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:25 pm
It would be good for the nation if the democrats won't have anything to politic about. Facts are hard things to hide but they do speak better for themselves. A little delicacy goes a long way in times of crises.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm
Revel
revel wrote:
It would be good for the nation if the democrats won't have anything to politic about. Facts are hard things to hide but they do speak better for themselves. A little delicacy goes a long way in times of crises.

Since I don't usually vote Democrat, I'm not responsible for what they do. The only times I've voted Democrat was against Goerge Bush, not for Kerry, because I believed Bush would be a disaster for the U.S. and the world. Turns out I was not very wrong.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
Re: Timber
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

If all you care is how the Republican party does in the next election, then that tells us a lot about your character.

Perhaps you should read the definition of a chauvinist and see if the shoe fits.

Chauvinism is extreme and unreasoning partisanship on behalf of a group to which one belongs, especially when the partisanship includes malice and hatred towards a rival group. The term is derived from Nicolas Chauvin, a soldier under Napoleon Bonaparte, due to his fanatical zeal for his Emperor.

I should hope there is little question of my "Character". I sincerely hope as well the Democrats - at least the Bushophobe/America Worst contingent thereof, continue to reveal and maintain the "Character" which has brought them their current popularity among The Electorate. The present rabid rantinings contaminating the atmosphere surrounding the relief effort lead me to expect they will do just that. And I fully expect you, and those of your persuasion, fail to see in your comment to me the irony I see therein. But then, that's what makes politics politics, ain't it?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
Failure to recognize the needs of the poor
There is one big elephant in the room that nobody is talking about, including government and the Media.

The one government that has failed it's citizens are the local city, town and country (parrish) that failed to plan for evacuating the poor. These government officials should have known the situations of a large part of the population that is poor. It's not so much race, it's economic class. The scenes we see on TV make it obvious that the stranded people are largely black and largely poor.

When officials told people to evacuate before the hurricane hit, they failed to realize that many of the poor could not evacuate. They didn't have cars, didn't have money to get transportation or alternative housing.

What local governments must do is to plan how to evacuate poor people who are unable to do it on their own. There have to be special transportation for people without transportation. The poor have to have a way to reach that transportation.

This failure to regonize the needs of the poor is a major failure of government and planning at all levels, but especially at the local level. Had this not happened, the scope of the disaster could have been far less. We would have had property damage, but not so much humanitarian assistance required so fast.

Would this forgotten population happen in your city or town?

BA
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:53 pm
I am getting sick and tired of you on the left blaming this on Bush.
Now you are complaining that there arent enough NG troops to help.
FYI,there are 10,000 NG troops there now,there are another 11,000 on the way.
There are 9,000 active duty regular trops there now.
Why dont all of that are complaining and Blaming Bush get off your asses and head down there and volunteer!!!!!

You on the left are despicable and disgusting!!!
You are looking for ways to blame Bush and the repubs for this,before the recovery is complete.
This is NOT the time for politics,this is not the time for a congressional investigation (Hillarys suggestion).
If you cant get off your asses and help,then I suggest you SHUT UP about the massive efforts being made.

I do have one question for you though.
Its been 4 days now.
What would John Kerry have done?
How would he have fixed the dike,evacuated all the people,completely rebuilt New Orleans,and repaired everyones lives in 4 days?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:07 pm
mysteryman
mysteryman wrote: " I do have one question for you though.
Its been 4 days now. What would John Kerry have done? How would he have fixed the dike,evacuated all the people,completely rebuilt New Orleans,and repaired everyones lives in 4 days?"

Bush made sure we will never know. Don't you wish you did?

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:07 pm
It seems Bill Clinton's one of the few liberals not playing politics with this disaster:

Quote:
MALVEAUX: Let me ask you this: There are some people at the New Orleans Convention Center who say that they have been living like animals -- no food, no water, no power. And they are the ones who are saying: Where are the buses? Where are the planes? Why did it take three days to see a real federal response here? Mr. Bush, you, whether it's fair or not, had gone through some administration criticism about your handling of Hurricane Andrew.

G.H.W. BUSH: I sure did.

MALVEAUX: Do you believe that this is legitimate?

G.H.W. BUSH: Yes, I do. What happened? We all sighed with -- not legitimate. I believe that they ought not to be as upset, but I can understand why they are. We thought, a lot of people thought, that when the hurricane went to the right a little bit, New Orleans was going to be spared. And it was only the next day that, you know, there were these horrible problems with the levee. But, look, if I were sitting there with no shower, no ability to use bathroom facilities, worried about my family, not knowing where they were, I'd blame anybody and so you have to expect that.

MALVEAUX: But do you think this administration responded quickly enough?

G.H.W. BUSH: Of course I do.

CLINTON: Let me answer this. The people in the Superdome are in a special position. And let me say, I've been going to New Orleans for over 50 years. There's no place on earth I love more. They went into the Superdome, not because of the flooding, but because we thought the hurricane was going to hit New Orleans smack dab and they'd be safe in there if they didn't leave town.

What happened was, when the levee broke and the town flooded, what did it do? It knocked out the electricity and it knocked out the sewage. They're living in hellacious conditions. They would be better off under a tree than being stuck there. You can't even breathe in that place now.

So I understand why they're so anxiety-ridden. But they have to understand, by the time it became obvious that they were in the fix they were in, there were a lot of other problems, too. There were people -- they were worried about people drowning that had to be taken off roofs.

MALVEAUX: So you two believe that the federal response was fast enough?

CLINTON: All I'm saying is what I know the facts are today. There are hundreds of buses now engaged in the act of taking people from New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston. And you and I are not in a position to make any judgment because we weren't there.

All I'm saying is the way they got stuck there, I see why they feel the way they do. But the people that put them there did it because they thought they were saving their lives. And then when the problems showed up, they had a lot of other people to save. Now they've got hundreds of buses. We just need to get them out. I think they'll all be out by tomorrow. Didn't they say they would all be out by tomorrow morning?

G.H.W. BUSH: Yes.

MALVEAUX: OK. Well, thank you very much. I'm sorry. We've run out of time. Thank you.

G.H.W. BUSH: Let me -- I just to want finish. I believe the administration is doing the right thing, and I believe they have acted in a timely fashion. And I understand people being critical. That happens all the time. And I understand some people wanted to make, you know, a little difficulty by criticizing the president and the team. But I don't want to sit here and not defend the administration which, in my view, has taken all the right steps. And they're facing problems that nobody could foresee: breaking of the levees and the whole dome thing over in New Orleans coming apart. People couldn't foresee that.

CLINTON: Yes, I think that's important to point out. Because when you say that they should have done this, that or the other thing first, you can look at that problem in isolation, and you can say that.

But look at all the other things they had to deal with. I'm telling you, nobody thought this was going to happen like this. But what happened here is they escaped -- New Orleans escaped Katrina. But it brought all the water up the Mississippi River and all in the Pontchartrain, and then when it started running and that levee broke, they had problems they never could have foreseen.

And so I just think that we need to recognize right now there's a confident effort under way. People are doing the best they can. And I just don't think it's the time to worry about that. We need to keep people alive and get them back to life -- normal life.

Source

Hopefully I've put this in every one of BBB's numerous "Let's Blame Bush for Hurricane Katrina!" threads .....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
Raindrops in the ocean, Tico. Some things, no mater how well meant, simply have no payoff.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
It has one. It just doesn't show up on the board.

heh
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
BBB
One thing the obsessive Clinton haters have not seemed to understand is that I didn't vote for Clinton---twice.

However, if it was a choice between Clinton and Bush, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Clinton to protect my country's future.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:07 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
One thing the obsessive Clinton haters have not seemed to understand is that I didn't vote for Clinton---twice.

However, if it was a choice between Clinton and Bush, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Clinton to protect my country's future.

BBB

I know this, BBB. I know you have stated that on prior occasions, as fantastic as it sounds, that Kerry was the first Democrat you've voted for.

If Clinton was your hero maybe you'd follow his example and stop using the opportunity of this national tragedy to bash your favorite target.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:18 am
Re: mysteryman
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
mysteryman wrote: " I do have one question for you though.
Its been 4 days now. What would John Kerry have done? How would he have fixed the dike,evacuated all the people,completely rebuilt New Orleans,and repaired everyones lives in 4 days?"

Bush made sure we will never know. Don't you wish you did?

BBB

Uh, I believe it was the voters who made sure that we would never know what Kerry would do. Of course to add to this, (and much to his credit) there doesn't seem to have been much said by Mr.Kerry on this matter as far as how he feels he could have or would have done better or whether he feels President Bush is doing a good or bad job.

A rather uplifting and possitive statement from Mr.Kerry's website was from Kerry and his wife: "America is united strongly behind the people of the Gulf Coast and from that unity we draw strength."
John Kerry website weblink
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
Kerry would have voted for sending in relief after he voted against it.

Smile

<I thank God every day he was sent packing back to the good folks in Massachusetts>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:34 pm
timberlandko wrote:

I'd think that a discussion of who get government money, and under what circumstances, would be a perfectly valid political discussion. Even if said discussion is prompted by a national disaster.

IMO, folks on both sides of the aisle have attempted to score political points under inappropriate circumstances; this instance is hardly the worst we have seen this year. (Anybody remember Terri Schiavo?)

Finally, I'd like to say I was glad to see Bush kicking folks in the pants. (Calling the results of assistance "unacceptable.") I'd have liked to see him do it sooner, but I suppose he felt the need to let folks try to do their jobs.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
I'm not sure hands off management is wise when it's life or death.

Otherwise, I think we are on the same page, Drewdad.
0 Replies