7

College swimmers, volleyball players sue NCAA over transgender policies

Mame

1  
Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2024 03:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I've witnessed both US and Cdn teams sing the others' anthems when the mic went out - a few times, actually. There's a lot of cameraderie between us, esp the northern (bordering) states. We suffer the same weather conditions, for one! Everyone talks about Canada being the Frozen North, but that is just as easily said about the northern US.

You should really watch a Youtube on Leo Major - a little known soldier during WWII who accomplished some amazing feats, despite being injured. Seriously, he was a bad-ass.
Mame

1  
Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2024 03:26 pm
@Mame,
Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFf1UfVa8Lc

ntprof

0  
Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2024 09:00 am
@Mame,
After further thought, I agree with this.

The divisions should be male, female and open. Male & Female to be based on pre-trans rules.

The open division should allow any human being, regardless of chomosomes, genitalia, etc. And the open division should allow any steroids and/or sports-enhancing drugs.

That would be entertaining on many levels.

vikorr

1  
Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 03:11 pm
@ntprof,
The whole reason there are male & female divisions in sport is that the two genders are not physically the same (in sports case - they aren't
equal'). The division of genders was to create fair competition for participants. It wasn't, as one other poster suggested, so that women could win.

Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas loses CAS case to overturn World Aquatics ban

World Acquatics rules state that if they changed gender before the age of 12, they could compete as women. The obvious reason was, once again, fairness.

Is this going to be perfect? No. Is the world perfect? No. Is this the best that can be achieved? Currently I think so. Who knows, there may one day be a transgender olympics....I can't see it happening...but maybe.

Mame

1  
Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 09:51 am
@vikorr,
Well, they came up with the Special Olympics so I don't see why they can't come up with Trans Olympics. Lia Thomas is NOT a female in any way, shape or form. He is a male with a female name. That's all.
vikorr

1  
Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 06:05 pm
@Mame,
If the right conditions exist, they would get a games. I just don't think the right conditions will exist.

Conditions that would likely work against such a games include:
- Number of competitors would be very low (comparatively)
- the cost of running Olympic Games is exhorbitantly high (Quite frankly I don't think the countries ever make their money back)
- the viewership would have to be there (otherwise the TV channels don't pick up them, because they need viewers to sell ads to make money)

- there would also be the issue of how they define what is fair competition, and how that would affect the number of competitors, and the number of events.

If they manage to get such a games off the ground, good for them, though it would surprise me greatly if they did manage such.
Mame

1  
Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 08:10 am
@vikorr,
If you tack the TransOlympics onto either the regular olympics or the Special Olympics, there wouldn't be much extra cost. For your other points, I couldn't care less. Men should not be able to compete against women the way Lia Thomas got away with it. Stay in your own damn lane.
vikorr

1  
Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 11:26 pm
@Mame,
there wouldn't be much extra cost
If I had to guess, I'd say around $150-$200m for the hosting country, per week + the TV deals (if there was a sufficient audience), plus the sending countries costs. I personally wouldn't say 'not much extra', but that depends on your perspective.

I'm not sure why you keep wanting to repeat "Men should not be able to compete against women the way Lia Thomas got away with it". I totally agree. Thankfully, Lia Thomas didn't manage to get away with it on the world stage -his/her appeal was denied . As it should have been - which was the reason for my original post.