Exit strategy?

xingu

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:41 pm
This kind of makes you wonder what Americans are dying for in Iraq;

http://billmon.org/archives/002030.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
Interesting information, xingu. I wonder where the big media people are? They're all shivering in their boots, because if they whisper the wrong information, their life will be worth zilch.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:15 pm
yup. the media showed some cajones for a day or so with katrina, but got reeled back in by the bass man.

if it, helps, a freind told me the other day that the l.a. free press is starting up again.

welcome to 1965...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Interesting information, xingu. I wonder where the big media people are? They're all shivering in their boots, because if they whisper the wrong information, their life will be worth zilch.

Are you seriously suggesting that the mainstream media in this country is supressing news because they fear government hit squads?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:31 pm
It's both: Bushco is one of the most secretive administrations in history, and it's obvious that the media of today lacks the investigative reporting of the past. Nobody in the media is asking the tough questions about this administration - they're getting a free pass. Even many of the democrats are marching in lock-step with the republicans in congress.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's both: Bushco is one of the most secretive administrations in history, and it's obvious that the media of today lacks the investigative reporting of the past. Nobody in the media is asking the tough questions about this administration - they're getting a free pass. Even many of the democrats are marching in lock-step with the republicans in congress.

It's both what?

Let's, for the sake of dicussion, assume that you are right; that the Democrats and the news media are not asking tough questions about this Administration. Why do you think that is the case? Because they fear for their lives if they unearth information that the Bush Administration wants to keep hidden?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:54 am
Not for their lives, but for their livelyhood. However, their outing of a CIA undercover agent is a threat not only against her, but those she has come in contact with.

I don't expect you neocons to understand any of this, but what this administration has done is illegal and should be punished, but nobody is willing to take the necessary steps. They are all fearful.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:57 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
but what this administration has done is illegal and should be punished, but nobody is willing to take the necessary steps. They are all fearful.

Oddly that is what I said about the Clinton administration.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's both what?

Let's, for the sake of dicussion, assume that you are right; that the Democrats and the news media are not asking tough questions about this Administration. Why do you think that is the case? Because they fear for their lives if they unearth information that the Bush Administration wants to keep hidden?

finn

First, as to whether the claim of unprecedented secrecy in governance holds water, Project Censored, a yearly study done by Sonoma University of the important news stories NOT covered in the press, has precisely that claim as the Number One un-reported (or under-reported) news item. Many of us who read widely and who've watched government for a long time have understood the claims validity, but I thought I'd give you that extra information.

Now, it becomes a poignant question whether or not democracy (in the sense we've always understood the term - government in the service of the citizens) can really withstand such decreases in transparency. I don't think it can. I do not trust either the motives or the judgement of people in power who hide. I don't think you should either.

How does a government lock out the press - and of course therebye, lock out the honest gaze of the citizens?

Denial of access to individual reporters - this is a Rove speciality, though not by any means original to him. If you write the wrong things, or ask the wrong questions publicly, you (and your paper/station/network) are passed-over in briefings and in news releases and in the numerous daily 'leaks' and 'tips' and late night phone calls, etc.

Stonewall everything - resist and barrier all attempts by reporters and Congress and NGOs and citizens to gain access to information which may embarrass (coffin photos, Energy Committee invitees and minutes, judicial papers, military administration memos, etc etc). Forward a notion that the administration ought to act this way - that it has a right to act this way.

Bully and threaten - when a reporter or a story gets released (or is discovered about to be released) which might embarrass the administration, call up the medium and warn them there will be consequences for such an act.

That's how it is done.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:18 pm
blatham, Thank you for those clarifications of secrecy/transparancy, denial of access, stonewalling, bully and threats by this administration. Right-wingers do not understand how destructive this administration is to our democracy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:25 pm
Many of them never will, ci. I suspect a lot of them would actually experience more internal equanimity with the belief that they themselves were incompetent and sinful rather than if they were to face the possibility that their Authorities have no soul and care not the slightest about them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Not for their lives, but for their livelyhood. However, their outing of a CIA undercover agent is a threat not only against her, but those she has come in contact with.

I don't expect you neocons to understand any of this, but what this administration has done is illegal and should be punished, but nobody is willing to take the necessary steps. They are all fearful.

I'm glad to see that you've retreated a bit from your previous claim, but I suspect it won't be long before you charge back into the same territory.

Why don't you expect us neocons to understand your position? Is it that you believe neocons to be unintelligent, or are you so overweening as to believe if someone disagree with your arguments, they must not understand them? This would be in keeping with your apparent assumption that if officials don't take the actions you urge or reporters don't writes the stories you want to hear; they are fearful.

It's pretty difficult to charge an administration with a crime, and it would hardly be fair to punish everyone in the Administration for the crimes of a few, so who specifically within the Bush Administration has engaged in illegal acts and what are those acts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
That's the job for the congress to investigate crimes committed by government employees. The average citizen does not have the wherewithal to do any investigation of government emplyees, especially those in this administration.

Many international governments have complained about this administration, but they are also powerless.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's both what?

Let's, for the sake of discussion, assume that you are right; that the Democrats and the news media are not asking tough questions about this Administration. Why do you think that is the case? Because they fear for their lives if they unearth information that the Bush Administration wants to keep hidden?

finn

First, as to whether the claim of unprecedented secrecy in governance holds water, Project Censored, a yearly study done by Sonoma University of the important news stories NOT covered in the press, has precisely that claim as the Number One un-reported (or under-reported) news item. Many of us who read widely and who've watched government for a long time have understood the claims validity, but I thought I'd give you that extra information.

Well aren't I fortunate then to benefit from the words of a widely read, long time government watcher?

As for Project Censored, I'm afraid I don't find it an objective and/or persuasive study.

I think it can fairly be said that this administration is sensitive to leaks, and works to prevent them. To me this is understandable. Because an insider, secretly, passes information to the press, doesn't make it, automatically, more reliable than the information officially released. In any case, its been pretty obvious, over the last 5 years, that the Bush Administration does not have leak free plumbing.

Information is so managed and manipulated by all parties in the political process (including the media) that I think it's impossible to single out the efforts of one group and label them unprecedented.

Now, it becomes a poignant question whether or not democracy (in the sense we've always understood the term - government in the service of the citizens) can really withstand such decreases in transparency. I don't think it can. I do not trust either the motives or the judgement of people in power who hide. I don't think you should either.

I don't completely trust the motives or judgement of anyone in power, irrespective of whether or not they engage in practices that meet your definition of hiding, but I certainly agree that we need, within reason, a largely transparent government. I don't agree that the Bush administration's government has been terribly opaque.

How does a government lock out the press - and of course therebye, lock out the honest gaze of the citizens?

Denial of access to individual reporters - this is a Rove speciality, though not by any means original to him. If you write the wrong things, or ask the wrong questions publicly, you (and your paper/station/network) are passed-over in briefings and in news releases and in the numerous daily 'leaks' and 'tips' and late night phone calls, etc.

Stonewall everything - resist and barrier all attempts by reporters and Congress and NGOs and citizens to gain access to information which may embarrass (coffin photos, Energy Committee invitees and minutes, judicial papers, military administration memos, etc etc). Forward a notion that the administration ought to act this way - that it has a right to act this way.

Bully and threaten - when a reporter or a story gets released (or is discovered about to be released) which might embarrass the administration, call up the medium and warn them there will be consequences for such an act.

That's how it is done.

So you believe that Democrats and the press are not asking the tough questions of this administration because:

1) They will be passed over at infrequent press conferences (no application to Democrats)
2) They know the Administration will resist answering them, and so therefore why bother?
3) They have been bullied and threatened

With #3 we return to CI's insinuation. How are they being bullied and threatened? And while we're at it, what are the tough questions everyone is so afraid to ask?

1) Did you, using the CIA and the Mosad, plan the attacks of 9/11?
2) Did you steal both the elections of 200 and 2004 through widespread intimidation and fraud?
3) Did you launch a war in Iraq not to achieve any of the goals you have stated as your reasons, but because you want American oil executives to get richer, and because the president was really pissed at Saddam for trying to off his dad?
4) Do you plan on refusing to leave office in 2007 and instead declare yourself Dictator For Life?
5) Did you have Paul Wellstone murdered?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's the job for the congress to investigate crimes committed by government employees. The average citizen does not have the wherewithal to do any investigation of government emplyees, especially those in this administration.

Many international governments have complained about this administration, but they are also powerless.

But CI, you seem to know that the Administration has committed crimes. Isn't that what you wrote? "...what this administration has done is illegal and should be punished..."

So the average citizen needs only to declare that the Administration committed illegalities, and if Congress doesn't launch a full blown investigation it is proof that they are intimidated, corrupt or incompetent.

Or perhaps you feel that the Congress should conduct perpetual investigations of every action the Administration takes. Since everybody but the neocons knows that Bush & Co. are all lying criminals, Congress need not wait for anything like actual evidence of a crime to appear.

You may have sensed that I haven't quite agreed with your sentiments and comments, but I have to admit that with your last sentence you have converted me to your way of thinking. "Many international governments have complained about this administration..." There you have it! What other evidence do we need?

IMPEACH BUSH!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
finn

Just type "government secrecy" or some such into google news and watch the fireworks. Your assumption that this administration is not unique is mistaken.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:06 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
IMPEACH BUSH!

First sensible thing Finn has said in a long time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
amen.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
happy to sign the petition. Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
I'm in.