Exit strategy?

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:00 am
joefromchicago wrote:
What about this statement, from the same critic: ""I think it's also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn."

Agree or disagree

Disagree. This is like asking a chess player to lay out for how many moves he is going to stay in the match he is playing. It's like asking a boxer to lay out in which round he is planning to knock out his opponent. You can't lay out meaningful plans about such things.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:00 am
Thomas wrote:
Disagree. This is like asking a chess player to lay out for how many moves he is going to stay in the match he is playing. It's like asking a boxer to lay out in which round he is planning to knock out his opponent. You can't lay out meaningful plans about such things.

That is not an apt analogy. In chess, both players know exactly what their exit strategies are: checkmate the king. There may be innumerable ways to achieve that goal, but the goal is absolutely clear. Both sides know how to leave the game because both sides know what it means to "win" the game. In Iraq, however, we don't know how to leave because we don't know what it means to "win" the war.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:41 am
What are your thoughts about the boxing analogy, Joe?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

That is not an apt analogy. In chess, both players know exactly what their exit strategies are: checkmate the king. There may be innumerable ways to achieve that goal, but the goal is absolutely clear. Both sides know how to leave the game because both sides know what it means to "win" the game. In Iraq, however, we don't know how to leave because we don't know what it means to "win" the war.

On that understanding, I disagree again: We do know what "winning the war" means. It means that Iraq is governed by a democratic, internationally cooperative regime that enforces human rights, and that controls the country firmly enough to secure the peace between its deeply divided citizens. The problem for America is not that it doesn't know what "winning" means -- we will know this state of affairs when we see it. The problem is that America probably won't win anytime soon, under any meaningful definition of that word. It may well be losing, and again that's a situation we'll have no trouble knowing when we see it. Your government needs to make up its mind on what to settle for, then try to achieve what's possible, rather than an increasingly elusive victory.

So if your source criticizes Bush for not facing up to reality, I agree. Everything I read about his administration suggests that they can't tell reality from their own campaign spin. But if the criticism is that Bush did make up his mind about what he's truly willing to settle for, and that he just isn't communicating his decision, I continue to disagree with the critic. Announcing your true goals in a situation like this will undermine your bargaining position. Or, to update my analogy, announcing a plan would be like announcing what price you would settle for while haggling on an oriental bazaar.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:53 am
The boxing analogy is interesting for two reasons.

If in a boxers quest to knock out his oponent, he get's bloodied enough that continuing would be to risky (and potentially costly) the match is stopped-- in spite of the fact the boxer has not reached his goal.

A Boxing match also has a set time limit. If a boxer hasn't reached his goal in this time, too bad -- the game is over.

Political reality in the US says that there is a time limit. When public support (which is steadily declining) reaches its limit, the war will be over whether or not we have reached the goal.

The issue I am raising is this-- the US and the Iraqi public have been awfully bloodied, and it seems to me that we are no closer to accomplishing the goal of a pro-US democracy in Iraq.

At what point do we throw in the towel. If this is the inevitable outcome (as it increasingly seems) then the longer we wait, the more damage is done.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:47 am
The longer we wait, the more progress made--the more likely the terrorists causing mayhem are likely to be killed, captured or just tired. The stronger the Iraqis are to care for themselves, the more experienced the politicians and citizens in Iraq are.

I don't think you have any basis in fact for your argument.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
This (to me) is a pretty amazing story, considering who's printing it. The CSMonitor, in my opinion, usually has a definite leftist slant.

Quote:
In the fertile "bread basket" of central Iraq's Diyala valley, roadside-bomb attacks have nearly stopped.

This ethnically complex patchwork of towns, villages, fields, and orchards, which US commanders call a "little Iraq," has seen its share of insurgent activity since 2003. But nowadays, the local Sunni Arabs appear inclined to climb aboard the US-backed political process, rather than trying to derail it through violence.

The relative peace in the breadbasket is the result of a carefully managed transition from US to Iraqi security responsibility, US and Iraqi commanders say.

While roadside-bomb attacks in July were down more than 30 percent compared to the same month last year, the drop has been especially drastic in August. The local Iraqi Army unit, the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, officially took the lead in a roughly 1,158 square-mile battle space, containing nearly 300,000 residents, on July 31.

"We're responsible for actual security, and it is going well," says the unit's commander, Col. Theya Ismail al-Tamimi, a former intelligence officer under Saddam Hussein who has gained the Americans' respect by keeping constant pressure on the insurgents. "Attacks are a fraction of what they were," says Colonel Theya, as he is known to both his own troops and the Americans.

US troops recently closed down one of their forward operating bases near here, "since the area was so calm," Lt. Col. Roger Cloutier, a US battalion commander, says.

The breadbasket borders the notorious "Sunni triangle," the mainly Sunni Arab swath of north-central Iraq where the insurgency started in 2003, and where it has proven most enduring ever since.

Yet Diyala province could be among the first areas handed over to full Iraqi security control. Planned reductions of US-led coalition forces, which numbered 161,500 in July, might begin as early as next year - depending on political conditions, as well as the readiness of Iraqi military units, US commanders say.

About 79,900 Iraqi Army soldiers and national guardsmen have been counted as being "operational" in August, according to the Brookings Institution's Iraq Index. The stated US goal is to train another 18,639 troops.

"In the Sunni triangle, Diyala is well ahead of the others," according to Col. Steven Salazar, US brigade commander for northeastern Iraq.

Iraqi troops still rely heavily on US support, from planning raids, to stand-by air support in case things turn bad, to detainee processing. But the Iraqi 2/2 Battalion is ready for its training wheels to come off, most US liaison officers say.

Theya agrees: "Right now we have the ability to do this on our own."

READ MORE....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Ticomaya wrote:
What are your thoughts about the boxing analogy, Joe?

No different from my thoughts on the chess analogy. Boxers know what constitutes "winning." We, on the other hand, don't know what "winning" the Iraq war means.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Lash wrote:
The longer we wait, the more progress made--the more likely the terrorists causing mayhem are likely to be killed, captured or just tired. The stronger the Iraqis are to care for themselves, the more experienced the politicians and citizens in Iraq are.

I presume that "you" means me. But I don't see how your objection refutes any argument I made, and how it refutes that I have no basis for it in reality.

More importantly, what is your answer to Joe's question? Should the president, or shouldn't he, "lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn"?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:09 am
Lash wrote:
The longer we wait, the more progress made--the more likely the terrorists causing mayhem are likely to be killed, captured or just tired.

And the longer we stay the more Americans will die.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:09 am
Sorry, Thomas. I meant ebrown.

You know I wouldn't take you on without a couple of lawyers.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
Lash wrote:

Lash, you have got to be kidding (or completely insane).

The facts are this:

- The draft Constitution includes language that no law can "contradict the principles of Islam".
- The Constitution if enacted will quite likely lead to the formation of a separate Kurdistan, and a Pro-Iranian Islamic Shiite state (within a very weak Federal framework) both of which are completely the opposite of what we say we want in our view of pro-US democracy.
- The Constitution has been completely rejected by the Sunni negotiators who were part of the team writing it. There is widespread anger toward the Constitution in the Sunni community now being shown in protest (as well as violence).
- The US deaths continue steadily.
- The Iraq deaths contine steadily.
- The anti-US insurgency not only continues as strong as ever, the US army is reporting how it is becoming more sophisticated and deadly in its tactics.

Now you can talk about hospitals being built and the fact that most of the residents of Bagdad now get 1 or 2 hours of electricity a day.

But until there is Constitution that is not rejected by a ethnic group, until the violence against Iraqis subsides, and the number of US troops dying daily starts decreasing you have no case that things are getting better.

You are living in a fantasy world.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:17 am
Thomas wrote:
On that understanding, I disagree again: We do know what "winning the war" means. It means that Iraq is governed by a democratic, internationally cooperative regime that enforces human rights, and that controls the country firmly enough to secure the peace between its deeply divided citizens.

That doesn't quite fit with Bush's claim that Iraq represents "the central front in the war on terror." If all we want is a democratic regime in Iraq, then what about the "terrorists?"

I'm afraid, Thomas, that I don't share your optimism with regard to the Bush administration's alleged war aims (and that should come as no surprise -- I rarely share your optimism on any subject). But if it is true that the war will be "won" when Iraq establishes a democratic government, then why wouldn't the administration announce that it will be withdrawing its troops on the day after Iraq installs its first democratically elected government? Wouldn't that be an exit strategy? Wouldn't that be an acceptable timetable for withdrawl?

Thomas wrote:
The problem for America is not that it doesn't know what "winning" means -- we will know this state of affairs when we see it. The problem is that America probably won't win anytime soon, under any meaningful definition of that word. It may well be losing, and again that's a situation we'll have no trouble knowing when we see it.

I disagree. It sometimes takes years before a government can see that it is losing a war. Vietnam is a case in point.

Thomas wrote:
Your government needs to make up its mind on what to settle for, then try to achieve what's possible, rather than an increasingly elusive victory.

From your lips to Dubya's ears.

Thomas wrote:
So if your source criticizes Bush for not facing up to reality, I agree. Everything I read about his administration suggests that they can't tell reality from their own campaign spin. But if the criticism is that Bush did make up his mind about what he's truly willing to settle for, and that he just isn't communicating his decision, I continue to disagree with the critic. Announcing your true goals in a situation like this will undermine your bargaining position. Or, to update my analogy, announcing a plan would be like announcing what price you would settle for while haggling on an oriental bazaar.

If there is something that the US can call a "victory" in this war, why not identify it? And if the US has no intentions of staying in Iraq beyond this "victory," then why not say so?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Lash wrote:
The longer we wait, the more progress made--the more likely the terrorists causing mayhem are likely to be killed, captured or just tired.

That happens in war.

Its a horrible fact of war.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Lash wrote:

Not to mention that the stock of terrorists in Iraq is rising even though American troops are killing some. Lash's accounting appears to be missing some important flow of terrorists here. It seems to me that likely candidates include an inflow of foreign terrorists who complied with Rumsfeld's "bring them on" message, as well as a flow of regular frustrated Iraqis who are turning into terrorists or supporting them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
Lash wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Lash wrote:

That happens in war.

Its a horrible fact of war.

All the more horrible in a war that was unjustified from the beginning.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:57 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
On that understanding, I disagree again: We do know what "winning the war" means. It means that Iraq is governed by a democratic, internationally cooperative regime that enforces human rights, and that controls the country firmly enough to secure the peace between its deeply divided citizens.

That doesn't quite fit with Bush's claim that Iraq represents "the central front in the war on terror." If all we want is a democratic regime in Iraq, then what about the "terrorists?"

We appear to have a mismatch on what we're talking about. On re-reading this thread, I notice that you keep talking about "exit strategy" and "involvement", but you never specify your subject. Involvement in what? Exit strategy out of what? Perhaps it would help if you clarified this.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm afraid, Thomas, that I don't share your optimism with regard to the Bush administration's alleged war aims

For the record, this is the first time anyone accused me of too much optimism about the Bush administration. Smile I am perfectly open to the suggestion that Bush is lying about his true war aims. But words have meanings; most of their meanings are well-understood by the English-speaking public. In particular, I believe the phrase "victory in Iraq" has a well-understood public meaning for the speakers of American English. George Bush doesn't get to redefine the meaning of those words any more than the Supreme Court gets to redefine the meaning of the words "commerce among the several states". (You were waiting for that one, weren't you?) It is to this public meaning of the words "victory in Iraq" that I referred to. I believe I have accurately described it, and I believe America is not going to get it.

joefromchicago wrote:
But if it is true that the war will be "won" when Iraq establishes a democratic government, then why wouldn't the administration announce that it will be withdrawing its troops on the day after Iraq installs its first democratically elected government? Wouldn't that be an exit strategy? Wouldn't that be an acceptable timetable for withdrawl?

I would prefer the first democratically defeated government that actually goes home, or the first major conflict between Sunnis and Shiites that gets settled in court instead of through a shootout, or the first time women achieve equal rights under Iraqs new civil law, which is largely islamic; or whatever of the above happens last. Of course, either of the above may well take a near-infinite amount of time. So while such a benchmark would retain the form of a timetable, it would lack the substance of it. An employee of a large corporation, I am not a fan of Potempkin timetables, and I'd prefer to do without one.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
It may well be losing, and again that's a situation we'll have no trouble knowing when we see it.

I disagree. It sometimes takes years before a government can see that it is losing a war. Vietnam is a case in point.

Well, when did you see that Vietnam was lost? As you know, I make quite a point of distinguishing between "we", which is what I was talking about, and "a government", which is what you were talking about.

joefromchicago wrote:
If there is something that the US can call a "victory" in this war, why not identify it? And if the US has no intentions of staying in Iraq beyond this "victory," then why not say so?

Because if I am right about the true prospects of America's involvment in Iraq, they would have to define victory so far down that identifying it would demoralize American civilians and soldiers to the point of apathy. That, in turn, would put pressure on the administration to settle for something even worse.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 11:15 am
Among the things mentioned when this ill-advised war was moving toward its beginning...

...was that it seemed likely that at some point we would be faced with competing decisions that would all suck very much. That, in fact, was one of the reasons the first George Bush declined to get involved there more extensively.

I remember people saying that leaving Saddam in place would be preferable to any of the options that very likely would present themselves if we went on to an invasion.

But most of that was met with variations on "anything would be better than leaving Saddam in place" and "the Iraqi man-on-the-street will strew flowers in the path of our troops."

Make a list of the options we have available to us right now...and see if you can find one that does not suck. In fact, although I am reluctant to even open this door...see if there is one that actually is better than if we had simply not invaded...and Saddam Hussein were still in power.

Would Iraq be in worse shape?

Would the middle-east?

Would more Iraqis still be alive?

Would our country and the other free nations of the world...be less safe?

Folks...all the talk in the world is not going to change the fact that the most likely scenario for this fiasco will be to stick it out in Iraq until OUR deaths and cost get so great, no leader of our country could get away with prolonging it any more.

Then we will fold our tents and move on out.

Amazing! George Bush is doing to our country what Ronald Reagan did to the USSR.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:13 pm
Thomas wrote:
We appear to have a mismatch on what we're talking about. On re-reading this thread, I notice that you keep talking about "exit strategy" and "involvement", but you never specify your subject. Involvement in what? Exit strategy out of what? Perhaps it would help if you clarified this.

I'm talking about US involvement in Iraq. The "exit strategy," then, would be the way of getting US soldiers out of Iraq. Of course, one of the problems is not only that we have no idea what it means to "win" the war, we don't even know why we got involved in the war in the first place. That makes it doubly difficult to determine how to get out of there.

Thomas wrote:
For the record, this is the first time anyone accused me of too much optimism about the Bush administration. Smile

I'm sure you won't make a habit of it.

Thomas wrote:
I am perfectly open to the suggestion that Bush is lying about his true war aims. But words have meanings; most of their meanings are well-understood by the English-speaking public. In particular, I believe the phrase "victory in Iraq" has a well-understood public meaning for the speakers of American English. George Bush doesn't get to redefine the meaning of those words any more than the Supreme Court gets to redefine the meaning of the words "commerce among the several states". (You were waiting for that one, weren't you?) It is to this public meaning of the words "victory in Iraq" that I referred to. I believe I have accurately described it, and I believe America is not going to get it.

I strongly disagree that there is a common, "public" meaning of "victory in Iraq." But maybe that's because I don't understand what you mean by a "public meaning."

Thomas wrote:
I would prefer the first democratically defeated government that actually goes home, or the first major conflict between Sunnis and Shiites that gets settled in court instead of through a shootout, or the first time women achieve equal rights under Iraqs new civil law, which is largely islamic; or whatever of the above happens last. Of course, either of the above may well take a near-infinite amount of time. So while such a benchmark would retain the form of a timetable, it would lack the substance of it. An employee of a large corporation, I am not a fan of Potempkin timetables, and I'd prefer to do without one.

You're confusing a timetable with a realistic timetable. Although I'm sure we all would prefer that the two were identical, they don't have to be the same. But Bush hasn't even given us an unrealistic timetable.

Thomas wrote:
Well, when did you see that Vietnam was lost?

I think it was a spring day during recess when I was in the first grade. You can be assured that I was on the phone with Robert McNamarra as soon as my nap time was finished.

Thomas wrote:
As you know, I make quite a point of distinguishing between "we", which is what I was talking about, and "a government", which is what you were talking about.

Well, when we're talking about realizing that a war is either won or lost, the important ones doing the realizing are the ones making the decisions regarding that war.

Thomas wrote:
Because if I am right about the true prospects of America's involvment in Iraq, they would have to define victory so far down that identifying it would demoralize American civilians and soldiers to the point of apathy. That, in turn, would put pressure on the administration to settle for something even worse.

If the administration got the nation involved in a war, the winning of which was "so far down that identifying it would demoralize American civilians and soldiers to the point of apathy," then it should never have gotten the nation involved in that war in the first place. Having done so, however, it is duty bound to get the nation out of it, and to explain how it will do so.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:59 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
I strongly disagree that there is a common, "public" meaning of "victory in Iraq." But maybe that's because I don't understand what you mean by a "public meaning."

Hypothetically, say you conducted a poll among Americans asking: "How would you know if America's involvement in Iraq was victorious?" My guess, based on nothing better than talking to people, is that the specifications would look quite similar to each other, and quite different to what the Bush administration's spin will be when it declares victory and goes home.

joefromchicago wrote:
But Bush hasn't even given us an unrealistic timetable.

No he hasn't. And given that Bush will never give you a realistic timetable written in plain English, I prefer no timetable to a ficticious one co-written by Karl Rove, Paul Wolfowitz, and Grover Norquist.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, when we're talking about realizing that a war is either won or lost, the important ones doing the realizing are the ones making the decisions regarding that war.

The draft card burners. I knew we had a common understanding.

joefromchicago wrote:
If the administration got the nation involved in a war, the winning of which was "so far down that identifying it would demoralize American civilians and soldiers to the point of apathy," then it should never have gotten the nation involved in that war in the first place.

I agree. It shouldn't have.

joefromchicago wrote:
Having done so, however, it is duty bound to get the nation out of it, and to explain how it will do so.

I don't share your optimism about this administration letting any duty bind it.
0 Replies