What is your opinion on dating a person with Aspergers?

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 09:12 am
I have been diagnosed with Aspergers since 2015 which means the person is shy and doesnt have good social skills. It seems for me that translates to online dating as well. I am the person that cant keep a conversation going. I talk favorite interests then just stop. I am afraid to even ask out any of the people I talk to because of my bad social skills. So I decided to delete my acounts on the dating sites I am on till I feel more confident talking to people online and in person
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 570 • Replies: 3
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 09:34 am
@Snoopy1995,
Have you tried joining social meetups? Not to look for dates. Generally speaking, that's frowned upon. Or at least the meetups I have attended.

Try joining meetups that cater to person's on the spectrum or meetups that cater to introverts and people with social anxiety. Hopefully, the ones in your area are hosted/led by competent individuals who can help keep the meetups lively but to whatever level of social engagement you feel comfortable at.

Alternatively, maybe there are dating apps that are specialized for individuals on the autism spectrum. But I would think that might be too much pressure on yourself until you have more confidence in your own social ability.

Consider attending the above social meetups as exercising and workouts ... but for your conversational and social skills.
Snoopy1995

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 09:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I see theres one in my area that does one on the last Wednesday every month. A meetup does sound like a good suggestion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2023 06:46 am
@Snoopy1995,
My son is autistic.

He goes on the site Boo which is as much to do with making friends and sharing interests as dating.
0 Replies