Where Are All The W.M.D.s?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 02:13 pm
Well -- it looks as though if weapons of mass destruction are found -- there is a faction that will claim they were planted.

And there is another faction that, if weapons of mass destruction are not found, will claim there are other explanations for there not being found.

Ain't this a glorious world!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 04:32 pm
frolic wrote:
How hard is it for an army that thinks it can shoot nuclear missiles out the air with their Star wars program, to survey a border?
Ask anyone concerned about drug smuggling or illegal immigrants in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California. Or Florida, for that matter.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 04:42 pm
timberlandko wrote:
frolic wrote:
How hard is it for an army that thinks it can shoot nuclear missiles out the air with their Star wars program, to survey a border?
Ask anyone concerned adbout illegal immigrants in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California. Or Florida, for that matter.

We are not talking about some people crossing the border. We are talking about the massive amount of Shells with chemical loads, truckloads of Antrax, Missiles with chemical and biological warheads, mobile labs,....

We are talking about this driving trough the Iraqi desert:
http://www.llu.edu/news/scope/spr02/images/convoy.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:09 pm
How do you think drugs and illegals get into the US, or permeate the borders of any other nation, frolic? Much of the traffic is "Hidden in plain sight" among the myriad commercial and private vehicles crossing thos borders every day. Shipping containers are popular too. During The Sanctions, Syria and Iraq had a multi-billion-dollar smuggling thing going on, and Jordan was in there too. Iraq smuggled out oil, and Syria and Jordan smuggled in military hardware and other no-no stuff ... up to and including jet engines and tens of thousands of RPGs ... forget about the Night Vision Goggles or the GPS Jammers. If prostitution is the oldest profession, among the very first paying customers likely were smugglers.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 11:04 pm
Even if they managed to cover up this massive convoy (still hard to belief the US could not prevent such an important export) Give me a good reason why Saddam would bring his WMD to Syria? Why didn't he use them to defend his regime? It makes no sense Saddam did not use every possibility to prevent the US toppling his regime. If i was Saddam and i had WMD that could make the difference between defeat and survival i would have used every option to stay alive. Why didn't Saddam? Or has he used every option?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:53 am
I'll come right out and admit it. I'm more than a little confused about all of this. I can understand that the Army had higher priorities than looking for WMD when they were being shot at, but I do think it is reasonable to expect that something would have turned up by now.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:10 am
Quote:
The Australian Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer believes Iraq's weapons of mass destruction have been buried outside Baghdad.

Mr Downer says the process of finding Iraq's chemical and biological weapons will take quite some time.

He says the best way of finding them will be through interviews with the Iraqis themselves.

"I think it's likely that a lot of this material has over the last few months been buried, and has been buried out of Baghdad," he said.

"To find where this material has been buried, broken up and buried, we will have to get people to tell us."

"It won't be possible just to send the army around and try and find these particular sites."

This would make it very easy for the US forces to find them. With satelite images or aerial view its realy a piece of cake to find recent disturbed soil.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:43 am
Quote:
Where are all the WMD's?

Apparently, now they're in Syria. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 06:47 am
Wait Wait, they are in the process of being transported from the warehouses in US and UK. Once they reach Iraq - they will be found....

Now that Saddam is gone, and the oil fields "secured", what's the hurry ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:37 am
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/14/sprj.irq.labs/index.html

You gonna lean on your shovels, or put 'em to work?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:15 am
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030421/nhunt.html

Quote:

The Search for the Smoking Gun
Coalition forces step up their search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq

By Romesh Ratnesar

... With most of Iraq in allied hands, the search is intensifying for Saddam's suspected chemical and biological weapons. Their discovery and destruction remain the chief reasons given by the Bush Administration for going to war. "We have high confidence that they have weapons of mass destruction," White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said last week. "This is what this war was about and is about." But the hunt has not yet produced a smoking gun. Coalition forces are only beginning to work their way through the hundreds of locations identified by U.S. and British intelligence agencies as possible WMD production and storage sites. "There's so much to be inspected," says a British official. "Of the huge number of areas we'd like to look at and scientists to interview, only 1% has been done."

Several false leads have emerged. After a group of Marines secured the Tuwaitha nuclear-research complex outside Baghdad, they detected high levels of radiation at the site and speculated that the complex may have contained enough uranium to build nuclear weapons. But weapons experts say that U.N. weapons inspectors sealed the complex more than a decade ago and that it contains "low enriched" uranium good mainly for civilian energy use. Other finds, including 20 medium-range missiles that may have been designed to carry nerve agents and barrels of chemicals seized in an agricultural facility near Karbala, are still under investigation. Pentagon officials say it will take weeks to complete tests of the materials ...

It's been mere days since "The Search" has been prosecutable, and but weeks since The Attack began. Odd ... those who argued most vocally to "Allow The Inspections Time To Work" now clamor for instant results ... a little dualism there, ya think?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:18 am
Timber, the whole point of going to war was "we know WMD exist". If time was needed to find them, then why was this time not given to the UN inspectors ? What happened to all the "intelligence" (make me cringe to say this word) which Rumsfield and co kept harping abt ??
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:23 am
Guatam, the purpose of The Inspections was not to find WMD, but to verify Iraqi compliance with the provisions of UNSCR 687 and subsequent Resolutions. The failure of verification brought about the current turn of events. I rather suspect The US will, within weeks, have fully accomplished what 12 years of UN dithering did not.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:26 am
timberlandko wrote:
Guatam, the purpose of The Inspections was not to find WMD, but to verify Iraqi compliance with the provisions of UNSCR 687 and subsequent Resolutions

And how was this compliance going to be proven ? By proving that Iraq has no weapons of mass destruction. While I admit that absence of proof is not proof of absence, I still feel that UN should have been given more time, the time which is now being taken by US forces.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:29 am
The UN had 12 years, Guatam; how much time is "Enough"?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:30 am
To prevent a war, loss of lives - an eternity I guess.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 09:33 am
That was just a wistful, philosophical me I guess, but actually I don't have an answer to your question Timber.
0 Replies

owi

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:27 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Today, April 7, 2003, it seems the US forces may have found some drums of WMD's. We'll have to wait and see to find out if they really are, but it's more likely than not at this point. Why, you ask? Well, they were burried, and the coalition forces also found some missiles they think has traces of WMD's. c.i.

Today, April 21, 2003 (two weeks later).
No WMDs have been found until today.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:18 am
A wishful thinking is wrong in many cases in the harsh realism.
(Information must be checked from other sources, of course.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/21/international/worldspecial/21CHEM.html?th=&pagewanted=all&position=

"WITH THE 101ST AIRBORNE DIVISION, south of Baghdad, Iraq, April 20 - A scientist who claims to have worked in Iraq's chemical weapons program for more than a decade has told an American military team that Iraq destroyed chemical weapons and biological warfare equipment only days before the war began, members of the team said.
"They said the scientist led Americans to a supply of material that proved to be the building blocks of illegal weapons, which he claimed to have buried as evidence of Iraq's illicit weapons programs.
"The scientist also told American weapons experts that Iraq had secretly sent unconventional weapons and technology to Syria, starting in the mid-1990's, and that more recently Iraq was cooperating with Al Qaeda, the military officials said. .."
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:09 am
So based on the allegations of one person people are willing to take the risk to set the entire Middle East on fire.
0 Replies