Where Are All The W.M.D.s?

McGentrix

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 07:56 pm
nimh wrote:
McG, I think probably partly because it's not my President and not my Secretary of State, I have a bit of a different take on that. Also because I dont have the same automatic trust in my (or anyone's) country's authorities as you have. One thing that strengthens me in my lack of a priori trust is that they often themselves disagree.

If the American president and the British PM and the Australian whatever-it-is-they-have say war is necessary right now, because Saddam might any moment pass on WMD to terrorrists who are going to use them to attack the West -- but the German, French, Finnish, Austrian, Greek, Belgian, etc presidents and PMs, the UN Secretary-General and the weapon inspectors themselves all say such immediate threat is not proven at all, and therefore continued inspections rather than war are the answer - well, then I can't easily say, like you do, I'd better trust the authorities on the matter, because which of these two groups are the authorities that I can assume to know best?

Which leaves me to make my own conlusions, in the end ... and, as you'll have gathered, they are different from yours. No offence ;-).

Offence? No offence here. It is good we can disagree civily while we each make our cases.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:11 am
Actually, to add to my comments up there a ways about the Australian Prime Minister, the war and motives for joining it etc., I forgot what may be an important point. He was actually in New York/Washington (not sure which city on the day) on September 11th 2001. I suspect - all cynicism aside - that this had a pretty strong emotional effect on him and his feelings about showing solidarity with the US Government. he is a deeply conservative man, and would have personal sympathy for Bush for this reason.

This very day, after having apparently commented in the last day or two about some mobile thingies looking like the elusive bio factories, he was asked in parliament for his comments about it no longer looking as though that is the case.

The opposition has been in disarray, fighting an internal leadership battle. That was resolved today - and the fur on this issue may begin to fly now. I hope so. It is no small decision to send troops to a war - it ought to be made on a very solid factual basis, I believe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:37 am
And to think that this country will use bombs to "shock and awe" on lies and innuendos is a crime to humanity of the worst kind. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
To be honest, CI, I thought from the get-go that the use of the term "shock and awe" indicated an INTENTION to commit whatever breach of international and moral law they wanted to. Like murderers who leave a little trail on purpose because they kind of want to be caught, brag on their technique....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
The Dog Ate My WMDs by William Rivers Pitt
http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/061303A.shtml
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:58 am
The fact these bastards lied and distorted in order to get their war disgusts me.

The fact so many Americans want to excuse and rationalize the lies and distortions makes me want to retch.

Ben Franklin said: You have a Republic, if you can keep it.

Obviously there are Americans who don't have the time or inclination to worry about abuse of our nation.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 12:04 pm
" I have seen the enemy, and it is us"-Pogo(?)

...I don't know if the orgin of that quote is really the comic strip. I suspect not, but it's the truth, and I would like to add to it:

.............."And the weopon is apathy"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 12:47 pm
As a lifelong Pogo fan, I can tell you that it originated with the strip when it covered the Jack Acid Society.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:06 pm
PRESIDENT RELEASES NEWLY RECOVERED WARZONE DOCUMENTS OFFERING INCONTROVERTIBLE PROOF OF IRAQI ACQUISITION OF WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION
Statement by the President

THE PRESIDENT: Good afternoon. Today, I'm taking just a few minutes off from scarfing down pork rinds at my daddy's 79th birthday party to bring glorious news to the American people. After months and months of fruitlessly scouring the charred carcass of Iraq for some shred of evidence to justify my killing more innocent civilians than died on 9/11, I'm pleased to say that documents newly recovered from Saddam bin Hussein's safe prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this nefarious evildoer was actively scheming with rogue regimes to acquire vast quantities of WMDs. And while I have not had an opportunity to examine the papers myself, I have the utmost faith in the competence of those persons in the Central Intelligence Agency to whom I delegated the task of covering my ass. Therefore, I have ordered these documents to be released immediately. I trust that they will appease the crybaby liberal news media, and effectively debunk any absurd speculation about my Administration and the DoD's Constitutionally suspect Intelligence Office having bullied Georgie Peorgie Tenet and his chubby office jockeys into falsifying reports of Iraqi WMDs just so I could settle a family score. Thank you. EXHIBIT A
EXHIBIT B

http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2003/images/wmd-receipt1.jpghttp://www.whitehouse.org/news/2003/images/wmd-receipt2.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:22 pm
From Bartlett's book of Quotations:

O. H. Perry

We have met the enemy, and they are ours.

Walt Kelly (Pogo)

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Sir Thomas Browne

But how shall we expect charity towards others, when we are uncharitable to ourselves? Charity begins at home, is the voice of the world; yet is every man his greatest enemy, and, as it were, his own executioner?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
Thanks Edgar , and Frank. That Walt Kelly, had to be one of the heaviest comic strip writers, ever.... And Sir Thomas, reminds me of a conclusion, I came to myself. "I feel like the best things that happen to me, are by the grace of God, and all the bad things can be traced back to something, I did."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:46 pm
http://www.moveon.org/distortion/
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:01 am
link

Quote:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:11 am
Frank
I love your new avatar ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:40 am
The opposition in Australia have called for a parliamentary inquiry into the reliability of Australia's intelligence gathering prior to the decision to join the attack on Iraq. This has, it seems, arisen out of the continuing failure to find evidence of WOMD.

I was hearing it on the radio - have not checked papers.

The opposition maintained the view that Australia should not join any non-UN sanctioned attack in the period leading up to, and during, the war.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:07 am
Quote:
Original thinker, this boy.

Quote:
"And this is for certain: Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States and our friends and allies."
Certainty...such a comforting commodity in this big confusing world filled with Grecians and Kosovarians and revisionist thinkers and people who read books.

I love george. I love fox news. I love McG. I love Canada - clearly, the greatest nation on earth.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:16 am
Feelin' the love!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:17 am
blatham
Are you being sarcastic?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:26 am
"...President Bush, visiting a frozen pasta business in New Jersey on Monday to tout..." Don't ask me why, but that phrase has me rolling on the floor. I mean, how many presidents do you know who have touted in a frozen pasta business, hmmm? Must be something in the water... Then I must contest Blatham's contention that Canada is the greatest nation on earth. Period. Michael Medved (a brilliant conservative commentator, talk show host*) says the US is, and furthermore it's the greatest nation ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH. Take that you white and brown landscape Canadians...

*Medved thinks he is, anyway. If he's right god is some sort of blind idiot, because from her distance, the earth is blue, and from our distance it sure is losing its green....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:31 am
Patriotism - what you have instead of thinking.
0 Replies