Twitter labels NPR as "State-Affiliated Media"

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2023 05:32 am
Twitter labels media outlets that serve as government propaganda outlets as "State-Affiliated Media" and does not amplify their posts.

Twitter's original policy read
Quote:
When Twitter first rolled out the labeling system in 2020, it said the designation was intended for “outlets where the state exercises control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and distribution.”

Before updating its policy this week, Twitter had said that “State-financed media organizations with editorial independence, like the BBC in the UK or NPR in the US for example, are not defined as state-affiliated media.” After the change, the sentence appears the same but without the phrase “or NPR in the US.”

Yesterday, they removed the NPR comment in their policy and put the label on NPR. I don't think anyone there actually listens to NPR if they think it is a propaganda arm for the US government.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,203 • Replies: 91

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2023 08:31 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Yesterday, they removed the NPR comment in their policy and put the label on NPR. I don't think anyone there actually listens to NPR if they think it is a propaganda arm for the US government.

Such a claim of their's nonsense. Especially since NPR get very limited Federal subsidies:
Quote:
While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts amounted to less than 0.1% of revenues, according to its 2020 public filings.

Wikipedia

Another source:
Public Radio Finances
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2023 09:27 am
NPR article on the label.
Quote:
The abrupt appearance of the same label affixed to known propaganda outlets such as Russia's Tass and China's People's Daily set off a range of reactions, from praise to outrage. Critics of the move saw it as another sign of Twitter's troubled relationship with the media, which has deteriorated since billionaire Elon Musk bought Twitter last year.

Caroline Orr Bueno, a behavioral scientist who studies disinformation at the University of Maryland, warned that Twitter's move could muddy the water in a news environment where it's already difficult to decipher which outlets are reliable and have editorial independence.

"This is ridiculous and only helps actual propaganda outlets blend in with legitimate news outlets," she said via Twitter.

Twitter has also repeatedly said it will remake its landscape of verified and trusted accounts, as part of its push to get users to pay to have blue checkmarks on the platform. Experts have warned the initiative would give new status to misinformation peddlers — and concerns deepened earlier this month, when Twitter revoked the verified check mark on The New York Times' account.

As of Wednesday morning, Twitter had not applied the "state-affiliated" label to other outlets that directly or indirectly receive any public funds, such as PBS.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2023 07:59 pm
**** Twitter.
0 Replies

chrisb555

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2023 11:27 pm
@engineer,
I believe that it is difficult to assess such a label. By its nature, a liberal leaning outlet/organization is pro-government in the sense that liberalism tends toward government support of "xyz". So, it follows that if NPR is slightly liberal in its coverage and reporting, then it is pro-government and therefore, "state sponsored" media. That being said, not really sure NPR is the arm of some nefarious attempt to corrupt our simple minds and move us toward communism. I think it's more that journalism is largely a liberal minded field of study compared to engineering per se, so naturally you get a more pro-big government tinge on things. I don't think the federal government should be in our knickers as much as it is, but I also don't think having papers to go from state to state is a good thing either, lol. It's just what makes America great...we have a lot of diversity and right now, it's on fire in the best way. We are pushing the envelope on all sides and seeing what works. In the long term, this will make us a better country. It always has.
Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 02:49 am
@Lash,
And not "state-affiliated" media? Why the different category?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 12:15 pm
Twitter changes NPR label for third time in recent days
Quote:
April 9 (UPI) -- Elon Musk's Twitter has again changed its label for NPR for the third time in recent days, in yet another attempt to clarify its confusing policies on media accounts.

Twitter last week decided to label NPR as "state-affiliated media" but swiftly received backlash online for the decision.

"State-affiliated media is defined as outlets where the state exercises control over editorial content through financial resources, direct or indirect political pressures, and/or control over production and distribution," Twitter's rules and policies show.

"Accounts belonging to state-affiliated media entities, their editors-in-chief, and/or their prominent staff may be labeled. We will also add labels to Tweets that share links to state-affiliated media websites."

NPR is a non-profit organization that receives funding through corporate sponsors, membership fees, grants and fees paid to the Public Radio Satellite System.

Its editorial decisions are completely independent of the U.S. government but some NPR affiliate stations also receive some funding from state and local governments. NPR has said less than 1% of its funding comes from federal sources.

After the backlash, Twitter on Saturday marked NPR and the BBC as "government funded" -- a confusing term as Twitter's rules and policies did not provide a definition for "government funded" or specify that the label is meant solely for media organizations.

Musk's companies, including Tesla and SpaceX, have together had received at least $4.9 billion in government funds and support by 2015, according to an investigation from the Los Angeles Times published that year, suggesting that his company's may also qualify to receive the label.

The organization Good Jobs First has a complete list of at least 111 subsidies awarded for Tesla alone dating back to 2007.

In an apparent to clarify its policies yet again, Twitter on Sunday changed its label for NPR for the third time. It now reads, "Government-Funded Media."
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 03:51 pm
@chrisb555,
chrisb555 wrote:

I believe that it is difficult to assess such a label. By its nature, a liberal leaning outlet/organization is pro-government in the sense that liberalism tends toward government support of "xyz". So, it follows that if NPR is slightly liberal in its coverage and reporting, then it is pro-government and therefore, "state sponsored" media. That being said, not really sure NPR is the arm of some nefarious attempt to corrupt our simple minds and move us toward communism.

There are a number of logical misfires there.
- NPR is liberal? I also think how you consider NPR or other media outlets on the political spectrum completely depends on where you sit. I wouldn't consider NPR particularly liberal, certainly not in the way MSNBC is liberal leaning or FOX is conservative leaning.
- Liberal means pro-government? I think many dictators would disagree. "State Affiliated Media" would be in line with the government but if the government is not liberal, the media wouldn't be either. I think if you look at all the outlets normally considered government mouthpieces, you wouldn't call any of them liberal.
- Pro government means state sponsored? So conservative papers are state sponsored when conservatives are in power and liberal ones are state sponsored when liberals are in power? That doesn't make sense. What if the government is split like it is now with the House and Supreme Court being conservative and the Senate and President liberal?
chrisb555

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 09:22 pm
@engineer,
Apologies, my tone was not conveyed...or perhaps it was and I am unaware of my bias, possible. By liberal, I mean that journalism is largely a liberal arts and open minded (in theory) area of education. Meaning it trains its students to be open. Open mindedness in the sense of general definitions is a liberal approach to thought versus a conservative approach (not political). Conservatism in the rawest form is a maintenance of the foundation, liberalism is the art above it...imo neither can exist without the other and serve to make our world beautiful and long lasting. That being said, I meant that if one is a news outlet with a liberal viewpoint (open mindedness toward otherwise odd or new things) one contributes that to being politically liberal and therefore pro-government so the rest of the opinion follows. Our current state of affairs is problematic because we are looking to our Federal Government to solve our social problems, to create our art. And, our conservative half is fighting to build foundations that are too high obscurring the canvas. They all need to stay out of our personal life's and focus on governing imo.
0 Replies

chrisb555

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2023 11:33 pm
@candide1984,
you are arguing a point by proving a point. NPR isn't about liberal or conservative, it's about open ideas, which is liberal. You are arguing about a political point of view, not a concept.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 06:13 am
@candide1984,
candide1984 wrote:

Name a conservative commentator or show on NPR??

We call it National Propaganda Radio because thats what it is.

Again tell me a conservative voice on NPR??

As soon as you name even one liberal voice on NPR.

Juan Williams, a voice on Fox was on NPR for years.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 06:40 am
The BBC is far too close to the bloody government.

Both the DG and Chairman are hideously compromised.

Attacking Gary Linekar was the last straw.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 07:02 am
@candide1984,
candide1984 wrote:

Name a conservative commentator or show on NPR??

NPR doesn't have conservative or liberal commentators, they have reporters. (I can't recall any editorial content on NPR , but I don't listen 24/7.) That said, I have heard conservative politicians many times on NPR news shows. Just a quick example I found, here is an interview with Republican Congressman Pete Sessions (TX) about the leadership battle earlier this year.

But all that is besides the point. For NPR to be "State Affiliated Media", is must be a mouthpiece for the US government. That means that when Trump was in office, it was pushing his narrative. Do you think that was the case? I think regardless of what you think of NPR's reporting, you would say they have been consistent across administrations. FOX has been pretty consistently right wing, but that doesn't make them "state-affiliated".
hightor

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 08:09 am
@engineer,
I hear Republicans and conservatives interviewed regularly – and respectfully – on NPR.
0 Replies