What foods don't you like?

jjorge

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:37 pm
Vegemite: n.[ vej'-uh mite ]
An Australian condiment, reddish brown to almost black in color and of a consistency similar to peanut butter.
Vegemite is made from pulverized celery, onion and termites mixed with salt and various spices. Gaining in popularity is a newer version which substitutes pulverized cockroaches for the termites.
Australians are perplexed that their favorite condiment has never gained favor outside that country.

C.I. and Pueo,

you can have my share of the snails, tripe and fish eyes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:07 pm
Gezzy, I didn't as a child like any food that wiggled, therefore I didn't like mayonaise, pudding, spaghetti, tapioca, ok, I liked jello, but not custard, and so on. Adulthood has been, to some degree, ridding my self of nonwigglehating. Thus my thing about eggs, I hate wiggly egg white...Oh, never mind, I already wrote about that. Maybe it is over under poetry...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:12 pm
Back in college I dissected shark eyes. That did it, right there. Plus I am really keen on vision, the very idea of cutting in to one hurts my sensitivities.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:35 pm
I have difficulty with any form of meat that too closely resembles (or reminds me of) the living creature it came from. (A hang-over from 15 years of vegetarianism.) I "go a little strange" at a chicken carcass. It looks like a chicken with no clothes on Shocked when raw, yet I can bring myself to eat it cooked. But a leg of lamb? Steak? No!! The power of suggestion just ruins the possibility! (I no longer have any idea of what a steak even TASTES like!)

Sorry if I've put any of you off your dinner ...
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:22 am
msolga, my mother could never eat chicken. She'd cook it for us but never ate it. She'd prepare something else for herself. I never questioned it as a child, but she finally told me, once I was grown, that the reason was that she once saw someone chop the head off a chicken and it proceeded to run around the yard. She never could stomach it after that. I'd probably feel the same if I saw something like that. As it is, I try not to think about it when I'm enjoying my steak, lamb and poultry.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:28 am
mckenzie

I once saw EXACTLY what your mother saw! Shocked Confused(I grew up on a farm), but even worse was the pet lamb that grew into a BIG sheep & who had to go the way of big sheep! Crying or Very sad No wonder I still feel squeamish at the sight of a leg of lamb!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:34 am
I don't think I could ever live on a farm, just for that reason.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:41 am
mckenzie

Yeah, I know how you feel. Living on a farm theoretically makes you tougher about these things & to consider them "natural" but it had the exact opposite effect on me! It often felt like eating a beloved pet you'd gotten to know & love. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:44 am
Mckenzie
I won't even try sushi, ostrich, sqid, or shark either and I also saw the same thing your mother did with the chicken. I was only about 10 at the time and I didn't eat chicken for a long time after that.

jjorge
No vegemite for this gal.

Ossobuco
That's interesting about the wiggley stuff.

msolga
Believe it or not I feel guilty every time I eat meat because I love animals so much that the guilt just doesn't go away. There are things I will refuse to eat though because of that fact and that's lamb, rabbit, deer, etc... I can imagine how you felt when your cute little pet lamb became an adult and, you know...
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:44 am
we used to raise all our meat products, doesn't bother me except for the times i was tasked to castrate the livestock. man, i used to feel for those guys. i can understand people being squeamish, some of my male cousins used to run when the heard the pigs starting to squeal. somehow they always managed to come back and ask for pork chops later though. wimps........
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:45 am
Oh pueo!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:07 am
jjorge*197982* wrote:

C.I. and Pueo,

you can have my share of the snails, tripe and fish eyes!

thanks, i'll pass on the fish eyes though, once was quite enough.

yes gezzy?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:10 am
i hate plain yogurt, and cottage cheese. like jjorge i can't stand pineapple or anchovies on pizza. and can someone explain to me why on earth would any sane person eat bittermelon?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:13 am
Probably for the same reason that babies just love sucking on lemons, pueo! Beats me how they can possibly like it! Confused
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:14 am
jjorge, deep fried smelt goes good with beer Drunk
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:15 am
rice crackers are from hell Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:18 am
Laughing Hey, Pueo, you're on a roll here!
Any thoughts on marinated herrings maybe?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:22 am
sounds interesting, i'd try one.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:27 am
Anchovies don't do anything for me either and it's not like you can pick them off the pizza because the taste stays there.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:28 am
I like smelts, but it takes me forever to eat them since I have to pick out every little bone.
0 Replies