Menstrual Pads Hurt the Environment

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:51 pm
gotta love the invention of adhesive..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm
if you used a safety pin, the pad would still bunch up and get all funky shaped. plus underwear is not skin tight and i think if something was pinned to them it would shif all around.

Shewolf - I guess you never had to use one of them?

It was made out of this elastisized material, looked like one half of a garter belt.

You would hook the waist part around you with this hook that was kinda like the hooks on a bra strap, but would dig into your skin at the back of your waist.

These two straps hung down from it, front and back, each with these things on the end that were similar to the hooky things on a garter belt.

The pads back then where REALLY thick, and each end had a long tail just made out of the outer lining material of the pad, without all the absorbent stuff.
You'd have to hook both ends into the garter belt thingermajigs, hoping you got the proper length on each end, so the pad would be where it was supposed to be.

It never was, and so you'd start all over again. When you finally got it somewhat right, you could be sure that a couple of hours later you'd be wearing the thing up your butt.

Picture being 11 years old and trying to figure this all out.

Fortunately for me, unfortunatley for any woman older than me, they came out with the ones with adhesive, and there was a great rejoicing in the land.

god, no wonder we get cranky.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:04 pm
I know I'm probably not linking this correctly, but check out this site. It the museum of menstruation.

Boy, it has nicer belts than the ones I had...........lucky girs.

http://www.mum.org/belthick.htm
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:10 pm
oh jesus, i was just looking at the site and saw the section for the Modess Belt.

I had one of them too.

In order to keep the pad from bunching, instead of one strap hanging front and back, now you had a V strap in the front, and another one in the back.

The front V would cut right into that sensitive skin where the leg meets the torso, and guess where the back V ended up.

I really can't believe so many woman put up with this. Dreadful
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:16 pm
oh

my

god

that looks like the most uncomfortable, un reliable thing ever created for women.
no wonder the safety pin idea didnt work. hehe

but no. I was a few years shy of having to use those.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
I think I might have resorted to this cup thing, if my other choice was the - belt contraption.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:22 pm
ok.
after the safety pin was invented.. why DIDNT anyoen just create a pad that had a thicker strap down the center of it on the side that rested against the panties.. and used THOSE to hold it in place?
More comfort i would think. Easier to change.
More PRIVACY! I cant imagine this contraption NOT being visable under any and all clothes..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:25 pm
because men were in charge of inventing things...
nuff said?

actually, I'm sure woman privately came up with more comfortable stuff, but as far as mass marketing, i guess whatever the man thought we needed, was invented.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:37 pm
nuff said
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:28 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'd just like to know how you know if it's full. Do you empty it every so many hours or wait until you notice it's overflowing? If it can overflow, don't you end up using panty-liners anyway?

OK I swear it is NOT messy. There is a little pull tab you grab onto as you take it out and then you just give the cup a little pinch and dump it into the toilet -which you are sitting on with your panties down oor your skirt up. I can't imagine how anyone could get anything on their clothing. I have used it for about 10 years and have never had an accident. A small splash on the side of the toilet maybe, but just remember to flush and it is all gone. How do you get it on your clothing??? You don't change it while standing in front your closet.

I find I have to remove the cup a total of 3 times during the first 24 hours, After that I am good for at least 8-12 hours at a time. You cannot get TSS from these cups, that is why it was first recommended to me.

Personally, I think walking around all day with a bloody, stinky, bacteria laden pad stuck between your legs is much more gross. This is by far the more clean solution. You just rinse it under a little warm water with soap. If I need to change it in a public bathroom (which is rare) I just take in a moist paper towel, dump the cap and swish the papertowel around the bell, everything wipes off easy from the rubber/silicon and it can be re-inserted.

Really ladies, should we keep cutting down our forests, polluting our rivers with bleaching liquids, and filling our landfills because you are afraid of a little rubber cup being inserted into your vaginas? I am sure many of have far worse items inserted for far less good cause.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:37 am
I can't imagine that I have inserted anything worse than that. Honestly though it is a good idea, if people feel comfortable with it. Just from most woman I know it would seem something they would not even consider.

I am comfortable with what I use and it works for me. If you do regularly change your pad you do not have a problem with odor or bacteria. The newest pads also are small - not as much trees and landfill use. I guess I am set in my ways when it comes to sticking up a little cup - couldn't picture using a diaphram either for a similar reason - just my personal comfort level.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:28 pm
..agree with Linkat, Im too set in my ways I prefer my 'Compac Tampax'
no pads, just tampons and thats it.
0 Replies