Menstrual Pads Hurt the Environment

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:19 am
my cat claimed my diaphram as a shower cap when I was through with it.

I have a picture of that somewheres, alas, before digital cameras.

Waste not, want not
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:26 am
I think that women from yesteryear (I've wondered about that too) used washable pads made of cotton. Women in countries lacking indoor plumbing and regular trash pickup also use them.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:31 am
sozobe wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
I think if men had periods and could actually bleed for days without dying it would be considered a miracle to be worshipped. They would walk around with T-Shirts saying "Kiss Me, It's My Time Of the Month".

Gloria Steinem's version of this:

http://www.haverford.edu/psych/ddavis/p109g/steinem.menstruate.html

I love the humor! <sigh>If only it were true...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:37 am
My grandmother and my mother both used washable pads.
Those make more sense to me then the disposable ones we have today.
But convience beats out sensability in this society.

I cant/ wont use a tampon no matter what.
TSS hits me with in 2 hours . Not good!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:08 am
shewolfnm wrote:
My grandmother and my mother both used washable pads. .

!

I just think it's gross. I don't want to wash my nasty bloody pads. Not for me. I like the ease of disposable ones.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
Let I said before there are just some things that should be disposable.

Tissues for instance. I don't like those cloth kerchief things. Toliet paper for instance. Can you imagine using a cloth to wipe and later wash them.

Even diapers - I know many people who use cloth diapers, but aren't you also wasting lots of water with all the extra washing you need to do? Not only for the diapers, but you would probably need fresh sheets every night.

Any way as far as CJ's question in a public bathroom here is one of the solutions -

What do I do in a public washroom?

Most women find that they do not have to remove The DivaCup™ very frequently, and that taking it out in a public washroom does not occur very often. However, for women with heavier flows or on the occasion you need to empty it in a public washroom, simply remove the cup, empty the contents and use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup and reinsert. Make sure your hands are clean before going into the stall. Wash your DivaCup™ well with hot soapy water at the next convenient time.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:22 am
ya know.. it all makes perfect sense,
but im a pad girl.
easier, quicker more comfortable.

well. the comfort part can be argued..
Nothing like having a big puffy saddle between your legs. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:32 am
Linkat wrote:

Any way as far as CJ's question in a public bathroom here is one of the solutions -

What do I do in a public washroom?

Most women find that they do not have to remove The DivaCup™ very frequently, and that taking it out in a public washroom does not occur very often. However, for women with heavier flows or on the occasion you need to empty it in a public washroom, simply remove the cup, empty the contents and use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup and reinsert. Make sure your hands are clean before going into the stall. Wash your DivaCup™ well with hot soapy water at the next convenient time.

I just don't know, that would be quite a balancing act, trying to get that cup out without spilling anything all over your clothes, plus then carrying the thing around to clean it up.

I just see a god awful mess.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:36 am
Well each to their own. If it works for you - then you save lots of money of pads and stuff. But it does seem very messy and just not my thing.

As far as large pads. The pads made now are so slim that it doesn't feel uncomfortable to me at all. As a matter of fact I am wearing one right now. That reminds me I need some chocolate (oh that's a different thread).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:39 am
Laughing Laughing

That sounds like a commercial

Gasp! Surprised <hand flying up to cheek> I forgot! I'm wearing one right now!
Surprised
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:44 am
I'd just like to know how you know if it's full. Do you empty it every so many hours or wait until you notice it's overflowing? If it can overflow, don't you end up using panty-liners anyway?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
Oh I certainly didn't forget I was wearing one - just a coincidence, but it is funny how it came out. Maybe I am missing out on a certain talent.

Freeduck - in those websites they suggest that you clean it out every so often until you learn your cycle enough you know how often you will need to.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
drip
drip
drip
drip
warm spot in chair

OK - its full..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:50 am
that is true Link, they are so thin now you really DONT feel them.
much nicer then they used to be.. :sigh: Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:57 am
How many of us remember the days when there was no adhesive on the pads?

Remember the Belt of Torture? I think it was designed by the Marquis de Sade.

I mean, that thing would leave marks! And it was always shifting around. You'd stand up and the pad would either be situated on your stomach, or creeping up your tail bone.

No wonder they called it The Curse.

I hope all you men are listening out there.......you just don't know.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:21 pm
And I'm sure that belt had something to do with why women wore those long loose dresses for so long.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
couldnt you have just used a safety pin?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:38 pm
Shocked

Safety pin?

OUCH!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:43 pm
no THERE silly

i mean, on the under side of the pad, and fasten it to your panties?
that way, if the safety pin pops open it is pointed INTO the pad and not yer sweet stuff..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:45 pm
I imagine you'd need two, but that sounds reasonable.
0 Replies